2,323

on 14 October 2011
Works perfectly.

If you were particularly silly, you could go elsewhere and spend £35 on a 'Monster Cable' equivalent that would do exactly the same job as this little baby does for a fraction of the price.

Um... here's the thing: It's a DIGITAL signal. Unlike analogue signals (such as speaker outputs), it either works or it doesn't. This cable works, for less than a fiver.

Now, I'm happy to spend more on higher quality analogue interconnects for hi-fi components, and higher quality speaker cables, where things like oxygen-free-copper wossnames and gold plated thingumies might make a difference, but the whole "premium digital cable" thing is a con - especially, and I quote, marketing guff like "The Monster Cable Fibre Optic 250dfo Advanced Performance Audio Cable with its enhanced audio realism will optimise your audio components. Don't settle for second-rate data transfer.". No, it wont. Enhanced audio realism? Rubbish. It's a flexible glass rod. It can only transmit what it's given (or nothing at all), it cannot "enhance" the signal, nor make it more "real", nor will it "optimise" your hi-fi.

For transatlantic fibre links, a higher quality of glass will doubtless help reduce signal attenuation, but over a single metre? You could pretty much use recycled milk bottles. Provided your DAC can still distinguish a 1 from a 0 (or enough 1s from enough 0s that the error checking can correct any erroneous bits), its output and thus what arrives at your speakers will be unaffected.

Bottom line: If you're a sucker, go ahead and spend loads more on a flexible glass rod. If you've got your own brain, buy this flexible glass rod. Five stars.
33 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2009
I purchased this to connect a digital to analogue converter box between my Toshiba LCD tv, which only had optical output for audio. The sound from the television itself was thin, tinny and flat, with little detail when it came to watching DVD's and using a PS3. The idea was to buy the DAC box and connect to my hi-fi (Rotel & Q Acoustics) using left and right phono cables. I'd been into places like Comet and Currys only to find they wanted an absolute fortune for cables like this, so I decided to buy the one recommended on Amazon when I purchased the DAC. Well, I have to say the sound quality is awesome! The quality of the cable itself is definitely not cheap and with it's noiseless performance I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a decent digital optical cable.
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2009
Great product that's really well made. Works very well with nothing to complain about. Although the postage times were quoted in days the actual delivery was the next day...excellent service all round & would use them again!
on 6 September 2011
This cable feels good and robust, the connections are sturdy and the sound quality is excellent. I use it with my wireless surround sound system and the rear speakers do not loose any quality. Also nice to get a short cable - who needs miles of cable to link 2 pieces of equipment that sit right next to each other !!
on 15 September 2012
I recently purchased a PS3 and wanted surround sound. It became obvious that I needed a short optical lead and I decided on the XO 1m Optical Cable based on the reviews I had read.

I am by no means an expert but it didn't take me long to set this up and link it to my amp from the PS3. I couldn't get any sound through my speakers at first but it was a case of the optical lead having to be plugged into the TV/SAT socket on my amp and not the DVD outlet that I originally thought it would have to plug into. Sound is sharp and crisp and this lead is a terrific bargain.
on 21 December 2009
does exactly what it says on the tin - and at a great price with speedy delivery - highly recommended
This product proves you don't need an expensive cable for quality sound results!

Used this optical cable to hook up my PS3 to the Home Cinema System and the clarity is amazing, so I would totally recommend this product!
1111 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2009
Great product ordered and delivered all with in 4 days great service.I needed this to link my Tv to my home theatre system very good quality works brillaint and considerable cheaper than other retailers i would order from this supplier again.
on 16 August 2012
This is a great cable and it really does come at such a great price. I bought it to use with my DVD player at home, and am highly satisfied with its quality and performance.
on 19 December 2009
Why spend a small fortune on supposedly high end cables when you can get this for peanuts. Sound is terrific through my Sony home theatre systen from the blu-ray player. Delighted with the purchase.