Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 6 November 2009
I didn't think it would be much longer until WT put out an unplugged CD, and here it is. I was expecting a bit of a cheap cash-in, but bought it anyway being a huge fan. I'm pleasantly surprised; this isn't just another concert, but a delightful CD of beautifully performed acoustic music.

Even the heavier songs like What Have You Done get an amazing acoustic treatment, with great strings and Sharon is on top form. I only wish it were a double CD. The only track which I don't think totally works is The Cross, but it's all good.

The new song Utopia which ends the CD is a bit odd but is OK. It doesn't sound to me like WT, more like Bon Jovi, and is another duet. I hope this isn't the direction they're taking with the next album. I wish they'd left it off this CD as it's not part of the concert.

This is great for listening late evening and is a must have for WT fans, I'm glad I bought it, it's lovely even though we've heard most of it before.
on 14 November 2009
When this CD was first announced, I had suspicions that this album would just be an easy way to make money money from another live tour in order to bridge the gap between the last DVD and the next studio album, but then you have to realise that this was a genuine tour, lasting the best part of a year, and with still more dates to come. This, and the fact that it contains some excellent acoustic songs makes the CD not only justifiable, but essential.
I really don't think I can say enough good things about the live material. Seeing as WT have a lot classical elements in their music (this is obvious from their use of orchestral backing on their studio albums), it may seem easy to play this material acoustically, and without much change to the sound, making this tour a lazy step. On the contrary, the acoustic sound changes the music almost entirely and, although I wouldn't say the changed songs are superior to the originals, they offer a completely new perspective on the tracks and give you versions you can really unwind to at the end of the day. I also admire the songs that WT have selected for the CD, choosing more under-rated classics which work beautifully in the acoustic setting, than the more obvious hits such as Ice Queen and Mother Earth (it's good to finally see a live album without these songs). Overall, it's very much a shame that WT have only taken their acoustic theatre shows to Belgium and The Netherlands as it would have been great to see it in the UK.
On top of the excellent live songs, they have also added a new studio acoustic song 'Utopia', which has unnerved me slightly. The song itself is quite good, although very different from WT's typical sound and probably something you'd expect more as a B'side rather than a single. Although it's far more likely that WT either wrote an acoustic song and thought it would fit better on this album/ didn't want to put it on a new album of heavy material (they have been writing for the new studio album since the start of the year) or they thought they'd write a new acoustic song in order to justify another live release, I have this nagging suspicion this may be some indication to a new direction the band is taking. Hopefully my suspicion will be wrong, just as I was about this CD being a quick moneymaker, but I would be most disappointed if WT did take this direction as I honestly do want to hear some more heavy material (where The Heart of Everything left off) and think that they have covered the acoustic/ classical genre enough now after the acoustic shows and the Orchestra concert DVD (staying in it for too long will get quite tiresome and people will lose interest).
on 13 October 2011
Seem to have bought a spate of these 'accoustic' or 'unplugged' albums by various bands recently. Like the one by The Reasoning, this live set by Within Temptation offers a nice change of pace to the usual electric set. If you like the studio albums you'll find no great surprises here - just well perfomed , pared-down versions of the big sound numbers. The additional studio track is particularly fine, and almost justifies the price in itself.
on 16 February 2014
"An Acoustic Night At The Theatre" was recorded live in November 30, 2008 at the Muziekcentrum Frits Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, during Within Temptation's sold-out theater tour. Living in The Netherlands, I was privileged to be able to see them when they came to the New Luxor Theater in Rotterdam and to be blown away by their acoustic performance. This CD is a great memento to this epic event.

For those who weren't there: on this CD, Within Temptation transform their signature symphonic metal epics into intimate acoustic renditions, performing material from their studio albums "Mother Earth," "Silent Force," and "The Heart of Everything." In addition to the acoustic versions of Within Temptation classics like "What Have You Done," "Frozen," "Memories" and "Stand My Ground" on this album you will also find the (acoustic) studio track "Utopia," a duet with British singer/songwriter Chris Jones.

Sharon den Adel's stunning vocals never sounded better, as the intimate setting of the theater gave full reign to her ethereal voice, keeping everyone breathless in their chair. Most of this CD consists of the first part of the show, which was mainly acoustic, but during the second part they went "full metal" and nearly blew the roof off the theater - and everyone out of their chairs with their wall of sound!

To quote Sharon den Adel: "It was my dream come true to be able to show a different side of Within Temptation. It was fantastic to see that both our fans and people who had never been able to see us live, had a fantastic time." And now you'll be able to experience this too when you put this CD in the player. Enjoy!
on 22 November 2009
So here we have the second live album from the fabulous Within Temptation. It contains a medley of past favourites done acoustically which lets you appreciate the true magnificence of Sharon's voice. My favourites on the album are 'Stand My Ground' and the new single 'Utopia'. A must for any fan and fervently recommended for everyone else!
on 14 November 2009
Most fans would probably be a bit put off by a album from their favourite group which basically is a run through of all the songs we know and love stripped bare of all the 'pomp and glory'. But they should definitely not be put off! What the group has delivered here is a lovely set of songs awesomely arranged to bring out the best of vocalist Sharon Den Adel, who excels here under the spotlight. Highlights have to be Caged, Pale and Memories, and if I had to be critical it would be that Mother Earth or Ice Queen have been omitted in favour of The Cross.
No fan should be disappointed by this album, if they want the big stadium sound we know and love from the band, then dig out the old CD's and play them on a Saturday night. If you want to really feel the music and realise just what a superb voice Sharon has, then play this on a Sunday morning!
on 17 January 2012
This was my first introduction to this fantastic band. The lead singer(sharon den Abel) has a great voice and this disc really shows off her talents. This is much gentler than their normal output but that is no bad thing as this album puts a different twist to the music.If forgiven does not bring a tear to your eye then you have a heart of stone.I have now bought all their albums but this remains one of my favourites for its pure simplicity.However for me their best album is black symphony but then i always did like over the top music extravagancers.
on 14 February 2013
Being a fan of Within Temptation I thought it would be interesting to hear how the songs stood up acoustically. It works brilliantly! showcasing real talent. I love switching between the plugged in versions and these wonderful acoustic versions,
Enjoy in more mellow moments.
on 5 November 2009
an really good re imaninging of some of within temptations back catologue of songs the band plays really well and sharons voice is on top form.
well worth the money if u are only discovering this band or for season fans alike
would have rated 5 stars if it had an acoustic version of ice queen on as that would have made this a perfect album
on 5 November 2009
a great cd and a must for within temptation fans and for people who love good music you can check the sampler like i did my copy arrived today and album is brill,its wt on a quieter level and nice to listen to when you have that chill out feeling