Customer reviews

The Glare, Songs for Tony
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 August 2010
Really liked this CD. Am a fan of David McAlmont as he has a fantastic voice so thought I'd give this a go- glad I did.
on 14 November 2009
I wasn't actually looking forward to this album as I didn't think the combination would be as good as the sum of its parts somehow. Even the short piece on Radio 4's Front Row didn't convince me, but on listening to the record I can only wholeheartedly agree with the two reviews above, it's breathtaking and moving. The only slight lowlight for me was the song to the melody of "If" (originally from the Diary of Anne Frank) as I am so familiar with, and love, the original. Somehow it was a bit 'one song to the tune of another' but even this is growing on me (it is a very powerful tune).
This is one of those few records that you play all over again the moment it's finished, simply because you want to.
on 30 March 2010
I absolutely love Michael Nyman's music and would recommend him to anyone, but this album takes a bit of getting used to. I have played it a few times and it is slowly growing on me but it seems strange to have someone singing to pieces of music I know so well and have a life of their own.
on 21 April 2010
I'm a big fan of Nyman's earlier work, and this is just awful. How this collaboration ever seemed like a good idea to anybody is beyond me, they must have been very very drunk indeed! an unfortunate present which will shortly be up for sale.
on 15 December 2009
This is an unusual collaberation between the minimalist composer Michael Nyman and the exquisite voice of Mc Almont,where the latter was encouraged to write songs and lyrics set to some of Nyman's own existing music-('The Glare' for example is about Susan Boyle of X Factor fame). You will not hear the news told like this anyere else! The songs are entertaining,sometimes poignant,always interesting and highly expressive thanks to McAlmont's vocal range. I was present at the World Premier of this work at the Union Chapel London, and my only regret now is that I didn't buy a signed copy in the interval before the actual performance because I heard Michael Nyman saying to someone "It's very brave of you to buy it before you've heard it!"
on 18 March 2010
Michael Nyman's music - the impact and the vision of the music - has steadily declined. I don't know when it actually started. Nowadays one is surprised and glad to be able to listen to experimental Nyman on "Decay Music". Nyman created many soundtracks for Greenaway movies that can rightly exist without the film. Nyman has created a most beatiful choir piece with "Out of the Ruins" - and he has written four phantastic string quartets.

But this particular record (as well as Nyman's operas) don't mean anything to me.