Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(4 star). See all 129 reviews
on 28 January 2011
I can only echo all the positive reviews that have gone before about this product. The squeezebox touch is not only capable of producing detailed audiophile quality sound; it is also easy to use and simple to set up. It is not without niggles (like any other computer product out there) and in 1.5 weeks of use I have encountered two. These are:

1. Avoid using the optical toslink connector. The optical toslink connector on the back of the unit is a deceptively loose and shallow fit. All other toslink connectors I have used have a symmetrical hole and give a satisfying 'click' when the cable is inserted. The toslink connector on the back of the squeezebox touch is asymmetrical and the toslink cable only inserts half way and doesnt 'click'. Don't do what I did and try to get the 'click' by pushing harder and harder - the click will never happen, trust me. Even though the sound through the optical connector was great (yes, it did work) the fit for the cable is so loose I found it difficult to align the connection in one exact place (which cant help audio quality), and simply picking up the squeezebox meant the connection fell out... There are no special optical adapters that come with the box and googling for 'loose toslink connector' gives rise to talk of jitter problems and so forth on many pieces of equipment, not just the squeezebox touch. So, in short, use the digital coaxial connection if you want digital output from the touch. The sound through the coaxial connection is no different than the optical. Well, ok, maybe slightly warmer and less bright, but that could be me, or other components in my system, as the 'difference' is minute at best and after 10 minutes I stopped bothering to look for any differences and began to enjoy the awesome sound.

2. AAC playback for bbc radio stations is not working properly at the time of writing. You do have an option to change to WMA format, although it is a little difficult to find, but this fixes the (otherwise immense) radio capabilities of this device.

If it wasnt for the above toslink problems this device would have got 5 stars (and more).
on 7 February 2012
I've had my Squeezebox Touch for three weeks now and I think it's great. I play my music through a mid range Denon amplifier with a couple of old but trusty Tannoy speakers. When playing flac files the quality is as good as playing a CD but of-course it will play much more than flacs, it has both analogue and digital SPDIF outputs to choose from.

Add to the above the fact that I can stream internet radio and podcasts and access the BBC's "listen again" service through an app which can be installed then I'm a happy camper.

I'm nearly happy enough to give this product five stars ... nearly but not quite; there are one or two aspects which cause this product to lose a star:

1. Set-up is very easy and I think Logitech have done an excellent job of making it as simple as possible. However the nature of the product is such that you need a Squeezebox server somewhere on your home network. If you're comfortable with sort of thing then great, if not then this product may not be for you. Personally I bought a QNAP TS-212 NAS and the whole thing has worked flawlessly.

2. If you want internet radio (isn't that an oxymoron?) then you need to create an account at the mysqueezebox website. I don't know why this is necessary but the good news is I've not received any spam from them at all since registering.

3. You can connect via wired ethernet or via wireless. Unfortunately the wireless standard it uses is 802.11g, if you have a 802.11g/n access point then the "n" will be ignored - not a deal breaker it it is a shame that it won't have access to the extra bandwidth supplied by a "n" network.

4. IPv4 only. If, like me, you have a native IPv6 network it's rather annoying when new devices can only speak IPv4. If you don't know what this last sentence means then chances are that it won't be important to you but come on Logitech - it's 2012 already!

There are still many things I haven't tried such as using the ssh login but overall this is a great product, most importantly of all it sounds great but just to cap it off it also doubles as a clock when switched "off"!
on 12 December 2011
First up I got this at PC World, not Amazon, simply because it is available at £ 199 , sorry Amazon the difference is just too much . One of those cases where you do the research online and buy physically rather than the other way round! Out of the box it feels like a quality product, simple to connect and it rapidly found a wireless connection with a BT router. Internet radio worked fine and the menu for searching by genre and location is straightforward.

The main reason I got this is to enable me to substitute a hard drive for a cd player. I plan to copy my cds into a hard drive as flac files and eliminate a load of clutter. The manual makes this sound simple.. you just plug in the hard drive in the USB port and you are off. The box prompts you to run a set up programme which ( I think ) scans the drive and organises a library. This took north of an hour and I have not even loaded a tenth of my cds on the drive yet. But once I had got it to play it sounded great. Through a decent system I could not fault the sound from flac files. MP3 files sound a bit harsh but perfectly acceptable for general listening. I have also connected it with the music files on my PC which it found straight away on the network and downloaded an app for an android phone which enables it to act as a remote control. Not sure how well that will work, I have mostly used the touch screen.

So far I am impressed with the sound but a little cautious of the set up procedures. There were moments where I got lost and the system did not point me in the right direction. Overall though I like it and look forward to trying to find out how it all works, which I suspect will be via trial and error rather than studying the instruction manual.
on 26 February 2011
First the positives: The initial set-up was very straight forward. It found my network automatically (amongst a list of networks presumably from my neighbours). I entered my password and the Touch downloaded the latest firmware updates. I then found that after connecting a hard drive to the USB port the Touch responded by automatically scanning the drive. I started first with a 2TB drive with probably about 400GB of lossless music on it. Scanning took a good couple of hours. During the scan I was still able to play music that had been found, but it did buffer quite frequently during this time.

Still, once I got this baby working, I was very delighted with the sound delivered via my DACMagic (not exactly a 'high-end' DAC but one of the best in its price bracket). I have previously tried a Boxee Box (which although designed primarily for movies does also support a wide variety of lossless music formats) and even via the external DAC the sound was degraded. Not so the Touch. Happily to me the Touch sounds as good as any other quality component I feed to the DAC, so for the sound-to-price (using an external DAC) it cannot be faulted. Even the analogue outputs give a respectable (if slightly less smooth) sound.

The Touch's sound quality capabilities are maximized when playing 24-bit/96kHz audio files, or even just 24-bit/44.1 files (such as the Beatles 2009 USB collection). This results in something approaching SACD or DVDA quality. MP3 has never seemed so obsolete.

The Touch also plays audio tracks 'gapless' which means that those albums that have tunes that segue into the next track (e.g. later Beatles albums, classical music, etc) there is no annoying little gap between tracks - the Touch plays through the transition flawlessly. Besides this, the Touch can also handle single-audio-file-plus-cue-file, which is always gapless anyway, so gapless capability was always safely guaranteed one way or another.

It's nice that you don't have to browse your massive music collection by tags (which can be inconsistent), you can just navigate through your folders, which for me is a massive plus. I have loads of music, all logically ordered (different genre folders for Rock, Classical, Jazz, etc, then artist folders inside each of these, then album folders in each of those). It's great to be able to quickly navigate to an album in the same way as I would in Windows XP.

The internet radio is nice to have too. I have checked out some talk stations from various world locations, which was fun. Finding new stations is a doddle with the search function.

The final 'plus' is the ability to play music straight off a hard drive connected via USB. This was an absolutely essential factor for me when considering a purchase. My PC (with nice soundcard 'Delta 66') is already hooked up to my music system, but the noise of the PC itself is annoying. With the Touch (+ external DAC) I get even better quality and none of the noise.

Now the only negative for me. It was very temperamental with a large USB drive directly connected. It was frequently stopping mid-song or even losing the connection with the hard drive so all I could do was disconnect and reconnect to get it all running again - which was a big hassle as it then proceeded to scan the whole drive again. I think one of the problems is that it does not give the user the option of selecting which folder to scan once the drive is connected. It just automatically scans and registers every file on the whole drive, even non-music stuff (e.g. movies). This causes needless expenditure of RAM/resources, not to mention very long, slow scans. I have since transferred a smaller music collection (about 200GB) to a smaller hard-drive (400GB) with nothing on the drive but music and scans. Everything is running glitch-free for now (touch wood).

In conclusion I would highly recommend the Touch for the sound quality alone, which is great when it works. I have already had the luxury of listening to several audiophile EAC rips (from such labels as XRCD, DCC, FIM, etc) without the noise of my PC fan or the hassle of having to mess about with the original physical CDs. Not to mention the ability to play 24-bit/96kHz files. One point knocked off for the problems handling directly-connected large collections, which could possibly be partly alleviated with a firmware update to allow more selective scanning options.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 May 2010
The Squeezebox Touch is the latest in a series of network music players from Logitech. It is part of a system, which involves your music files (which can be shared with iTunes or another media player), some server software called Squeezebox Server which will run on any PC, Mac, laptop, or on most NAS devices, and one or more players connected on a wired or wireless network.

The Squeezebox Touch is essentially a player. It has audio outputs (phono or digital) which connect to your stereo. You then connect it to the Squeezebox Server over a home network, usually wi-fi. Once set up, you can choose what to play by touching the colour display, or by using the supplied remote. The user interface uses a menu system, and is fairly easy to navigate once you get used to it, though performing a search can be a little laborious. It doesn't matter too much because of the playlist system, which lets you select what you want to play in advance, so you get uninterrupted music. In addition there is a headphone socket which you can also use to connect directly to powered speakers.

That's the basics; but there is a lot more to say. The Touch can also act as its own server, if you connect a USB drive directly. Unfortunately this does not work very well with larger music libraries - though what "larger" means seems to vary for different users, and the situation seems to be improving as the firmware gets updated. Less than 1000 tracks should be fine; more than 30,000 or so will likely not work well, with lags and crashes galore; in between is a matter of chance. Try before you buy if you want to use this feature.

Fortunately there lots of other configurations. Many NAS devices - networked hard drives - will run Squeezebox Server directly. You can also connect to a Squeezebox server on the internet, for Internet radio, tracks from Napster (subscription required) or other streaming services, and some extras. Performance was great with these servers.

Squeezebox Touch can also work as a clock, or a digital photo frame, or other uses depending on what plugins and apps you install. The Flickr app is great - display random or tagged photos from Flickr while your music plays. Internet Radio works really well, and most stations ranging from the BBC to niche music stations seem to be covered.

I love the Squeezebox system. The best thing about it is that it is multi-room: you can have many players on your network, all connected to the same library, but playing different things. Enjoy your classical music in the living room while another family member rocks out upstairs, for example. The system is very flexible, and you can control the players any number of ways. Navigating to the server with a web browser lets you manage your library and players (though this does not work with the server built into the Touch). There is also a SqueezePlay app you can run on a PC that lets you control any player including the Touch; or you can control other players from the Touch itself.

The Squeezebox team seems to care about sound quality, which is impeccable whether using the digital or phono outputs. The Touch has higher quality than previous players (other than the much more expensive Transporter), and supports up to 24/96 digital with bit-perfect performance.

That said, there are a few flaws with the system, along with the direct-connected USB drive problem already mentioned. One is simple: why do you want a touch-controlled player, when you are sitting 12 feet away? I found myself using the remote more often. You can also get an iPhone app, or use one of the other methods. Another snag is that the display is not that easy to see from a distance, even though it automatically uses a large type size when controlled with the remote.

My final complaint is that the system can be tricky to set up, and the skimpy supplied manual is not up to the job. There's a better one you can download from Logitech. Squeezebox Server is good, free software, but does not handle tasks like ripping CDs or finding cover artwork.

It is worth getting it working though, because the system is outstanding once up and running, though you are paying a bit of a premium for the excellent sound and the flexibility of the system.
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 August 2011
Nearly 2 years on. It seems outdated and certainly lacks software support. Too many glitches to use easily. Difficult to control though Android - crashes or doesn't appear on my tablet. Regulalry dissapears from network and hangs. Need to get a Sonos !

Now been living with the Touch for a couple of months...
Very happy with it in terms of audio quality - played through Creek 4040 Amp and Eltax floorstanding speakers
Happy with the internet radio
The hard drive connection works fine - just make sure you start with a completely clean new hard drive, load the files onto it and then follow start up instructions to the letter. I have had one incident of the Touch failing to read a file but if you just go back through the menu and reopen the song it is fine

The only major drawback is the size of the screen. Sitting on the sofa a few feet away it is very difficult to see the titles etc. Cannot understand why they made it so small...

Had the Touch one week and it's a nice product. it's not perfect but it does most of what you want
I have a new house which I wired with Cat6 ethernet. I plugged it into my network, which goes through a Netgear router and attached to an old Creek 4040 integrated amp
Turn the volume high on your amp and use the remote to control the volume of radio/music
I bought a new WD 1TB powered USB drive and loaded all my music (mixture of FLAC, MP3 etc) all in the correct folders and correctly tagged (so I thought). I attached this and let the Touch find all my files through the Squeezebox Server on the Touch. Took about 30 mins for all files and art etc
I am then able to select artists, tracks, albums etc to play and make playlists. I have checked on forums and I should be able to add further music files without detaching the USB hard drive, through my network from my PC
I have not added Squeezebox Server to my PC as I don't want to have that constantly on in order to play music - hence the USB Hard Drive
Next up is a DAC to better convert the digital to analogue and one day a newer amp. The quality of the sound currently is excellent. Not far off CD quality even without FLAC files

Pluses:
Very easy to set up initially - unpack and plug it all in. It works.
Internet radio is instantly accessible - you can get just about any radio station you can think of and many that you didn't know existed
The sound quality of radio is excellent
You can save your favourite radio stations for instant access
Free download means you can control the Touch from your wireless laptop/ipad, so you don't have to use the little screen (I can only control the radio so far)
It's plastic but feels well constructed

Minuses:
Despite correct?? folders and tags I have some strange folders appearing in "My Music". Some of which are empty. I suspect it's to do with the tags somewhere as I ahve a similar issue on my mp3 player
The Touch screen is too small. If it was iPad size then it would be more visible and more usable
I am not sure of the connectivity of the Hard drive to the Touch - there are a lot of stories that it just doesn't work too well. I haven't had problems yet...
It's not an intuitive menu and you have to keep going back to go forward!! I would be much happier if I could have easily set it up on my PC as I wanted it and then not have to use a PC interface after that - much like a router set up

Overall so far I am very pleased with it. I'll report back after living with the Touch for a few months
on 9 July 2012
So this worked straight out of the box. Not kidding - I told it about my wireless entwork and where my music was stored. And it played it! Through my wife's 20 year old stereo! Fantastic!

But. Then I plugged an SD card in the side. Switching between my PC based library and my SD based library was not straightforward. Then it seems to need to rebuild the index every time you switch back to it - surely you could tell when the card had been ejected and only rebuild the index if it had been?

Then after it had been asleep for a while, it couldn't be woken up remotely (from my iPhone app). I had to go up and prod the box itself which seems to defeat the purpose somewhat.

But generally speaking, it works marvellously well. With just a little bit of polishing, this could easily be a 5-star product.
on 22 June 2012
I have a Squeezebox Duet (now discontinued), which I like, although it it has been a wee bit difficult to set up and to update the software. I bought the Touch as a present which I felt would be simpler as it effectively rolls the 2 parts of the Duet into one. I am pleased with that decision and am very impressed with the audio performance.
Starting with no knowledge of the Squeezebox system, setting up may be a bit daunting, but the end result is well worth the effort. Typically, you may be accessing your music on a PC and you will be siting the Touch in another room.
Firstly you will need to download (from Logitech) the 'Logitech Media Server' programme (it was called the Squeezebox Server). Installation is quite easy and it will be set up to run as a Windows Service (starting automatically when Windows starts and always running in the background). When setting up, you need to tell the programme where your music is. That might be a folder called 'My Music' and it can have any number of sub-folders in any structure. A primary function of the programme is to automatically catalogue your music so that you can access it by Artist, Album or by folder location. You can keep adding sub-folders and your new music will automatically be accessible from the Touch.
Secondly when you are ready to get going, you will need to connect the Touch to your wireless network. You need to know the SSID (name) of your hub and the security key. After that - plain sailing!
Using the Touch is quite intuitive but you need to get used to the 'touch' action. It needs only a light touch - it is not like pushing buttons. Build quality and audio performance are excellent. Depending on your physical set up, you might find the remote useful and you can even control it using you Android phone or your Windows laptop!
You can access music on an SD card but the Touch has to run its internal 'Server' to create a Library for it (i.e. catalogue the contents). When you plug another card in that process has be repeated. It is simpler to have just one source of music, either a PC or maybe a large capacity SD card. I rate it 4+ stars, only because something better will be along next week - mustn't let them get too complacent!
on 1 December 2010
Hooked into our hifi in the kitchen, just add a Napster subscription (£5 per month) and we have millions of albums to choose from. My wife loves it. That it shows the photos from my Facebook albums is a bonus but it's not a great digital photo frame due to its small size and restricted viewing angles. Sound quality is absolutely top notch. Usability is good and the on screen keyboard is accurate. Sometimes it can be a little temperamental with the wifi but that's probably as much my router's fault. If you're really worried, you can hardwire it. Alas, if only it had Spotify.
on 27 May 2012
Being a long time squeezebox fan and having several Receivers, Boom and Controller I was intrigued when I read that the digital spdif transport is improved on the Touch compared with the Receiver, almost to Transporter levels.

I wondered whether my main living room equipment was high end enough to notice this difference but thought I'd give it a shot. On both receiver and touch I'm connecting via coax using an AudioQuest VDM1 to an Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver, DALI Zensor 5 speakers and DALI E-12F sub.

There is definitely something improved with the Touch. Can't pinpoint it as I'm not an audiophile but I'd say things just sound crisper and the sub seems more controlled not running away with itself as much as I felt it had a tendency to do.

Was easier to setup than the Duet's and the spectral analyser add's a bit of bling to my system. The touchscreen is a fingerprint magnet and I don't intend to use it much directly but via the controller, phone app, web site as I did the receiver.

4 stars as it would have been nice to have had a bigger screen and also for the angle to be adjustable.