Format: Camera|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 October 2011
Hoya filters are excellent, and if you go to their website, you will find that the HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) series are a step up from the "standard" range. It is very easy to pay more than this for a standard filter, so shop around for the HMC level, which reduces the reflection given by the glass.

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still clearly visible, especially in sunny landscape shots. They certainly never seem to have an adverse effect, and so are ideal to leave on a lens permanently as a means of protection. If you want to really visibly enhance your outdoor shots, go for a polarising filter, which can be fitted on top of this if you want to, although this might lead to some vignetting on wide angle shots due to the combined length of the rings.

Overall, excellent and convenient lens protection at a very reasonable price.
11 Comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2013
Arrived VERY fast; ordered evening and arrived the next morning, well done amazon :-)

This is the 'basic' end of the Hoya range. There are pages and pages of photographic reviews, and too be honest I would expect the far more expensive ones to perform better, however, as an excellent quality 'lens protector' and UV filter this one is very good.

I have not noticed any light flare or lens aberration, so one would assume this is how well it mounts to the lens (the lens design) it works very well on my Sony Lenses without any issues.
Much thinner than some alternatives, so the lens cap etc still fits.
With the High Quality HOYA brand, it is easily worth just a few pounds more than any other cheaper filter rubbish.

*TIP* be aware there are LOTS of fake ones out there; this one is genuine; sold, and fulfilled, by AMAZON direct so worth the assurance.

I WOULD recommend this filter.
on 19 May 2013
Having used this make of filter 30 years before I was pleased to see it still available. The product is well made and a good fit. Delivery was prompt as expected.
on 3 June 2013
In my "unreviewed items" this purchase is showing as made by Hoya, sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

I am fairly certain that mine bought via Amazon, was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a seller. I have this filter in 58mm, 72mm & 77mm versions and they are fine. This one though I am certain is a dud or a fake. The green reflections even in broad daylight are shocking. Sadly I was in South America at the time and had it delivered to a friend, by the time it had got back to me, it was more than 30 days after my purchase and Amazon wasn't really interested in my objections.

I went back to Amazon to purchase 52mm and another 58mm B+W UV filter.

Buyer beware when buying filters online, check them in different lighting conditions, Hoya UV(C) filters should not have green flares on the images
55 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2012
I have bought and have fitted UV filters to all my lenses for all my cameras, it's a diffinate must when the lens can and does cost so much, that a knock on the lens or a scratch across the lens can render it useless, and can ruin you're whole day,week or month depending where you are, and you're financial backing when a simple filter such as this used as a bit of protection for you're lens could save you so much trouble.

Now I have bought many a filter made usually by Hoya as I personally find them to be just what I'm looking for in a filter.
I have also bought cheaper filters from other makers for less expensive lenses, the details between the two are minimal but note worthy.

First the Hoya UV filter well if you've bought Hoya before you know of the quality, that rock solid build this is not missing in this UV filter. The bezel holds the filter with no movement between the two of them.
Secondly the threads are fantastic they are so smooth, and it's extremely easy to match the filter up to the lens and screw the filter into place, once tightened up to the lens body the filter in my experience has never come loose.
All the same though when it comes time to remove this filter, I find it easy to over come the initial locking of the two to each other and it's a fast smooth removal of the filter.

Now as I said I have bought cheaper UV lens filters too, and the difference for me is that all important thread action. It can cause frustration trying to remove a filter when you have cold hands or you're in a rush. The cheaper filters I have bought do a fine job of protecting the lens just as well as the Hoya filter does, but they do not have that smooth silky thread action that in time you will appreciate having along with the ease of removal too, that the Hoya offers.

Just like all other Hoya filters I have bought, this filter was delivered in a plastic flip top hard shell box,
Last but not lest the UV aspect of the filter, I will say that there does seem to be a very very slight difference in the quality of picture, when using the filter I believe I can see a difference in the contrast of a picture, but as I have said this is very very slight and not enough to sing praises over.

So if you have the money I would suggest a Hoya filter, if you're budget is not so fantastic ATM then take a look at the cheaper filters. But be warned don't take too long to order UV filters at the very least, as protection for you're expensive lenses.
44 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 31 March 2011
This HMC filter - Hoya Multi Coated - is the next step up from their standard filters. To pick this up at this price is excellent. Don't pay the same price for the bottom of the range standard filter elsewhere.

Visible enrichment of colours in photos, permanent lens protection - why wouldn't you want one?
on 25 August 2011
I bought this filter mainly to protect the lens on my Canon EOS 1000D, it arrived very quickly and was in a small plastic box which can be used for storage when the filter is not on the camera. The filter was very clean with no marks or dust. Have only used the camera once so far since fitting the filter and have not noticed any difference in the pictures taken. I chose this filter because it was in the mid price range of those that I had looked at and was from a manufacturer that I was aware of, and the reviews for it were very good. The filter looks well made, fitting smoothly onto the lens and the lens cap fits securely onto the filter. I would recommend this filter as a lens protector as it would be far cheaper to replace the filter than buy a new lens.
on 12 June 2012
for the price, this is a quality product. bought for my canon 24-105mm lens. and have not taken it off since.
on 17 August 2010
I was worried about buying a lens cover as I'd read some bad reviews of them on Amazon but really wanted something to protect my lens. I went for the Hoya cover as the less well-known brands had some really awful reviews. I chose this one instead of the more expensive one as I was on a budget and could do with saving the money - I just hoped that the saving didn't compromise too much on quality! I'm glad I didn't go for the more expensive one as this lens cover seems to be just fine - it does screw on well to the lens but inexplicably has popped off once (I think that may have been my own fault). As long as it continues to stay on most of the time I'll be happy - if it gets scratched it'll be much cheaper to replace than the lens.
on 20 October 2009
This filter is good, well built and it appears to do its job (protecting the lens)

Pros:
1) Relativly inexpensive
2) Well built.
3) The Hoya web site says this filter has greater than 97% light transmission.
4) Multi coated.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

I will over time be replacing all my lens protection filters with the HMC version as these are a good compromise (cost against quality) between the standard and super HMC filters.

I have not experienced any real problems with his filter but would advise purchasing a thinner filter for wide angle lenses in the long run it's worth the extra cash.