Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 October 2007
'Little Creatures' was the first Talking Heads album that was released while I was actually a fan of them. In other words, it was the first album of theirs that I was hoping was going to be good. I was 14. It was brilliant then, and it sounds pretty brilliant today.

What's often underestimated about the Heads is their sheer strangeness. 'Little Creatures' is a highly deceptive album - glossy, precise, beautifully and tastefully played, but entirely without thumping gated reverb, glamorous 80's style digital delay or horrible overdubbage, it sounds weirdly stark and almost puritan next to most other mainstream records of the period. And as for the songs, who the hell knows what 'Give Me Back My Name' is about? 'Television Man' is an anthem in the making that never got played live. 'Road To Nowhere' has to be the most joyful song about death ever put on record. (No wonder that Dave Eggers' liner note praises it, and its incomparable video, for the 'power and knowledge' it seemed to offer him as a soon-to-be-orphaned teenager.)

I had a very strange sense of deja vu when I first heard this album; I seemed to have always known it. To this day, I don't know why 'And She Was' feels like a song I've known since infancy when I can only have been 14 when I first heard it. This is, for my money, Talking Heads' last truly wonderful album, its professional sheen and surface calmness betrayed by all kinds of trouble and anxiety beneath. The next one, 'True Stories', is a mere offshoot of a movie, and while they got it together again for most of the tracks on their final album, they were already hardly a band anymore.

Maybe I just never noticed it before, but the video of 'Road to Nowhere' seems to have necessitated butchering the song somewhat. Bars are dropped and verses are curtailed all over the place. It's still a brilliant video, though.

I don't give many things five stars, but I love this album to bits. And it still comes back to offer me more.
on 27 January 2006
Some reviwers have a very strange view of the world as we can see elsewhere in relation to this album. This in no way sounds like a Byrne solo. The evidence of the other Heads influence is clear here. I boought this on it's original release,and loved it1 How can you not be won over by an album that starts with And She Was? If the other remastered albums are anything to go by this will sound fabntastic. Some listeners probably mistake the less hard edged sound here and do not listen to the songs, which are as out there as Byrne's lyrics ever got but the quality of the music: sound, rhythm and variety of styles that seemlessly flow together whithout getting repetative or bland is a triumph. Listen up, this is great stuff!
on 12 July 2016
I've had a soft spot for these tracks ever since the guy I used to climb with in the mid and late 80s used to play them on the car stereo as we drove between crags in North Wales and Pembrokeshire. It was much more cheery to listen to than the Smiths on the way to some dangerous chop route and David Byrne's vocals were (and still are) electrifying. It's difficult to imagine how some of the tracks - "And She Was", "Perfect World", "Television Man" and so on - could be improved and my kids loved "Stay Up Late" when they were young. And everyone has heard "Road to Nowhere" at some time in their lives; the perspective is brilliant and it's one of a (large) handful of songs that you might consider to have playing as your coffin goes down the conveyor into the fiery flames of eternal oblivion. Enjoy!
on 23 March 2013
I shall leave it to the music experts to tell you why this album is so good, my endorsement is far simpler. This is a brilliant album and with all Talking Heads offerings the production and engineering enhances the listeners experience. Vocals are amazing, arrangements terrific but that simply drumming is the sheer delight here.
on 29 August 2016
A great album ruined by completely unnecessary 'bonus' tracks; as I listen to CDs rather than playing my music electronically I found myself rushing to press stop at the end of the album proper, eventually I got so fed up I purchased another copy from US via
on 24 July 2001
This is Talking Heads at their most commercial, and a very catchy album. The sturdy rhythm section that was one of Talking Heads' trademarks are complemented here by some very poppy guitars and proper songs, though songwriter David Byrne's lyrics are as existentialist as ever. The highlights are the two brilliant singles 'Road to Nowhere' (their biggest hit) and 'And She Was', and the bouncing, funky 'Stay Up Late' but there are no duff tracks and this is a big, brassy, sunny album which is great to sing along to as you do the housework.
on 9 May 2001
Another good Talking Heads album, released a long while after Speaking In Tongues, primarily I imagine because of David Byrne's concentration on his solo career.
The album contains some fantastic songs (e.g. 'Road To Nowhere', 'Stay Up Late'), but it doesn't quite compare to their wonderful first 4 albums.
It still knocks spots off more or less everything else that was produced in the mid-80s, though.
on 22 April 2014
Great album. Had it years ago on vinyl and gave it away. Decided to get a copy on CD as always liked the music. Great service from Amazon and seller as arrived quickly. Loving it. Many thanks.
Little Creatures is one of my all-time favorite CDs. I know a lot of Talking Heads fans consider this album a little too pop-oriented, but I love every song on here. This is particularly good music to sing along with, yet it still has plenty of quintessential David Byrne vocal sounds to distinguish it from non-Talking Heads music. I still hear And She Was on the radio from time to time, proving its longevity as a quirky, fun track, but for some unexplainable reason, nobody ever seems to play Road to Nowhere anymore. That was really the song that made me a TH fan, and I'll never forget the video with David Byrne running nonstop in the corner the whole time. Stay Up Late is another cool song that got some air play in its day; it's not a song you would want your babysitter to listen to while she is at your house, but it's just a typically fun, unique Talking Heads song.
All of the remaining songs are almost as good as the single releases. Give Me Back My Name, The Lady Don't Mind, Perfect World, and Walk It Down aren't spectacular, but they are quite enjoyable. I especially love the chorus of The Lady Don't Mind, and the last verse of Perfect World features vintage David Byrne vocals. Television Man comes closest to the earlier, more traditionally untraditional Talking Heads sound, and it features a great stretch of David Byrne vocal gymnastics. As enjoyable as all of these songs are, though, none compare to the song Little Creatures. It has a great flow to it, with interesting lyrics, and it shows how talented a singer David Byrne really is. The entire album has a fullness and flow that most albums just do not have; I never skip any of the tracks when I play this CD. This group's forehead-slapping music is great, but sometimes it is nice just to relax to calmer music such as this disc offers. Clocking in at just under forty minutes in length, Little Creatures is not terribly long, especially by today's standards, but it is enjoyable from start to finish. Some TH fans might consider this album a musical road to nowhere by this eclectic band, but in my opinion Little Creatures proves that the journey is often times the best part of the trip.
on 28 May 2015
Their big album smash that broke them and their back catalogue to new audiences. I for one bought the album on the strength of the cover - so they do sell!! - and went on to buy a lot of Talking Heads back catalogue - intelligent lyrics and mellifluous playing make Little Creatures a stand-out album