on 17 April 2015
Been looking for this at a reasonable price for ages to replace my "recorded from TV" video. Brilliant set of plays, my son and I frequently quote bits from it as personal jokes - "What are you getting for Christmas?" "What does any Northerner get? An empty selection box and a rotten orange!". Brilliantly observed characters and superb dialogue and timing.
on 12 August 2010
These six stories have been the source of jokes for my wife and I since we first watched them on TV more than 20 years ago. 'My husband's just coming'..'where from, Bangladesh?' Finally, with a little gentle persuasion from us both, our teenager children watched them through, if only because we wanted to show them we didn't make those lines up. Lets just say they don't appreciate Victoria Wood's wit quite like we do.

Although the final episode "Staying In" fails to compete in my opinion, these are as funny today as they were all those years ago. Brilliant! I only wish she had made more and having watched VW on TV at Christmas, she should seriously consider doing so.

Well worth the money!
5 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2018
Very interesting plays, the early work of Victoria Wood well worth seeing
on 1 July 2016
Some of the best of Victoria Woods TV plays.
Watch the way that Victoria gave so much to her art,also giving the best lines to her fellow actors and giving them a chance to shine.
on 30 May 2011
Now on DVD for you to keep and keep again! This is one of the funniest DVD collections I have ever seen. I could write pages and pages on the subject, but for the sake of this review I will keep it short. It contains the classic sketch with Julie Walters as the slow elderly waitress, 'The ballad of Barry and Freda' (lets do it), and the very best of Acorn Antiques; ..."Oh its you (Mrs. Overall), I could smell your bhajis a mile off". "Is it on the trolly?" It should be on yours.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 December 2012
I bought this DVD as I am a fan of Victoria Wood and Julie Walters.
I was a little disapointed at first then it got much better as it progressed.
I have watched it a few times now and have come to appreciate the fine acting and writing of Victoria Wood and Julie Walters.
I can now highly recommend this DVD.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 June 2014
I love, love, LOVE this 6 episode series.
Loved it back when it was originally shown on BBC One and love it now. It has lost absolutely nothing with the passage of time.

If you're a Victoria Wood fan and haven't seen these, do yourself a huge favour and buy it immediately!
on 11 June 2018
Great
on 6 March 2013
I wasn't sure of this DVD but being a big fan of Victoria Wood I thought I would give it a go, as had seen some of the screenplays on TV a few years before I didn't know if it would have the same impact but it did, it didn't disappoint it still had me laughing.
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 14 October 2009
I remember seeing these programmes on TV, and it is a pleasure to be able to watch them again. They perhaps come as a very slight disappointment after "Victoria Wood as seen on TV", but they are still streets ahead of most other similar TV comedy programmes. Naturally, I find one or two more enjoyable than others, but that is a personal view, and it is ideal to have the whole series availaibe.