Customer reviews

on 17 December 2012
When I re-bought this game couple of weeks a go I didn't expect it would not be compatible with windows 7. The package clearly says compatible with windows 7/8, but an error keeps appearing when trying to launch the game: "the colour scheme has been changed to windows 7 basic". and it won't launch. (FYI, I bought my new PC with AMD graphic card only 2 weeks a go) I've asked Microsoft for support but the answers available so far have not solved the problem. Disappointing.
Chances are it might not be compatible with Windows 8 either...
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2012
I have just Installed it, therfore I will add to the review later. Just to say one has to be a nephew of Albert Einstein to get it up & running. However on first view, and I only have 1gb of Ram it looks superb. I will leave a further review later. All I can say is that Microsoft is Paranoid about being fiddled. I am extremely annoyed with the installation process.

I added the expansion pack. Played the Tutorial for 1 Hour. It is superb. I am an amatuer gamer and get fed up in 10 mins. This is different. The only reason I spent 1 Hour is because I have to rise early in the morning. Absorbing is the understatement. Really great stuff. Highly recommended for new and experienced gamers. Really it is not a Game but a fine History Lesson, 100/100.

Needs only 256 mg ram higher the better and runs on Vista..about all I can say. Watch out for the Installation though, a bit tricky.
Regards,
Greg.
on 4 September 2014
Good game
on 10 March 2012
I played the Age of Empires series when I was younger but for some reason I never played AoE3. A few of my friends recently re-installed the game for a bit of fun and convinced me to buy it so we could all play multiplayer together like we used to on the older games.

Firstly, the delivery was superb. I used the free 3-5 day delivery expecting it to arrive on Saturday or perhaps Monday at the latest. I ordered the game on Wednesday night(late), it was dispatched on Thursday Afternoon and arrived Friday morning! The packaging was just the standard Amazon cardboard box which works well for things like games and DVDs. It was in perfect condition when it arrived.

The game itself (in my opinion) is one of the best strategy games of all time. It is quite casual and really good fun to play both in single and multiplayer mode. Something that I was very pleased about was the fact that they still include a Scenario Editor which allows you to create your own maps and battles which you can then play against the computer or pay them online with friends. The system requirements aren't very high so as long as your system is relatively new you should be able to run this game at max settings.

The two expansion packs are also very good. They offer new campaigns, new units and new challenges to overcome.

Overall this game is amazing and at its current price (£18) its a great buy. A must have for any strategy game fan.
on 3 December 2009
This game is an absolute must have for all AOE fans so most will probably already have the original game and both expansions. I was in the middle of moving house when the game came out so it passed me by at the time.
I have just bought this complete collection and have not stopped playing for over a month!!!
It runs perfectly on my VAIO laptop (running Vista).
There are endless civilizations & technologies to discover and the game carries on the theme superbly from AOE 2.
If you don't already have this (inc expansions) then you owe it to yourself to invest in it.
I got particular sadistic fun in picking off inocent villagers at long range with the array of fire arms now available!
If you don't already have it at this price the complete collection is an absolute give away!!!
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2013
I did have some trouble installing, as have many others, but after restarting it corrected itself and worked perfectly.
From then on, the game itself was very good, and an improvement from the original, with the native American and Asian adding new elements and styles of play, although I found the native Americans to be rather difficult to play as. The new maps and natives were imaginative and added more to the experience. Honestly I haven't tried any of the other game modes, so I can't really judge how good they are. The campaign is certainly an improvement from the original, and more abstract and challenging then the original, with rather more interesting (and less cliched) plots.
Having said these things, the Native Americans and Asians don't seem quite as well rounded as the European races, and sometimes lacking in character. Their mercenaries are awful in my opinion, and that was one of the more interesting battle style in the original. Moreover, there seems to be an attitude of "how can we make this race different" which doesn't quite work (why do Indian settlers cost wood?! for example) and is rather hit and miss, but that's fairly hard to notice.
Overall, very good, but with some downfalls
on 20 February 2013
This game is everything you want it to be - challenging, frustrating, addictive, etc. However, a warning for those installing on Windows 7. The ability to save games can be disabled on initial installation, which renders the game useless (unless you play it continuously). I did get around this by having to redirect the 'My Documents' folder on my computer, but given this is a game designed by Microsoft for a Microsoft platform, this felt like an inconvenience I shouldn't have had to do.

Overall, though, the game is worth it.
on 22 June 2014
I loved this game at one point , but it dosent work with windows 7 and dosent really say anywhere so I'm stuck with it and let down. Great game if you can run it
on 17 March 2014
I've had this game for several years now (this is my second copy - my first disk got totally scratched from playing so much!), it's still as good as it always was.

Runs fine on my average Windows 7 laptop. The great thing about this game is that it's aged well - when it came out, it had amazing graphics for its time, but not everyone could run the game at high settings, but now, hardware has progressed, and almost everyone can enjoy the (still pretty) graphics.

It's a pretty good strategy game, with a lot of replayability due to the variation between the teams (whether European, Native American or Asian). It's not super hard, which means you can play it without being a history nerd or a grand-master game strategist, but if you are one of those things, you might find it a bit simplistic. While units are supposed to be weighted (ie, pikemen are good against cavalry, culverins are good against other cannons, etc), if you have a big enough army of musketeers or similar, it's not too hard to just overwhelm the enemy. The storyline in the original campaigns is a bit strange (the developers were getting pretty...imaginative). They are more towards the 'fictional' end of the "historical fiction" genre, but take them with a pinch of salt and you'll have fun.

This version comes with both the "Warchiefs" expansion (which adds North American tribes as playable teams, as well as some extra bits for the basic European teams) and the "Asian Dynasties" expansion (which adds Asian civilisations and Asian maps). I would say that the expansions add a lot to the game, so this version is definitely worth getting over the basic one.

Definitely a buy if you're willing to endure a game mechanics from 2005. Like I said, the graphics for the environments still take my breath away sometimes.
on 27 December 2012
I bought this because i'm generally an RTS fan and age of empires is one of my old time favourites and for basically £12 you can't go wrong with this because it's the game and the 2 expansions which is pretty damn sweet.

The games a bit different to what i'm used to considering i play Starcraft 2 alot now but it's a good change and the scenarios and campaigns make for a good gaming session on a classic the two expansions are going to keep me occupied that's for sure.

If you're looking for a good game then this is it :)