Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
If the price seems to good to be true....
on 13 April 2013
As a seasoned skier I am reviewing these goggles to help inform your choice of why eyewear is important. I will compare these to my last pair of goggles that cost me £89 and lasted 8 years of adventurous skiing.
- Build Quality could be better
- They have very little cushioning/padding around the eyes making them less comfortable than more expensive models
- The lens is less scratch resistant than better models
- There is no foam over the air holes meaning a draft at higher speeds and snow in your face for those more adventurous crashes!
- the strap does not have a clip so if wearing with a helmet you are best to leave the goggles on the helmet or you are forever tugging them over from the back rather than simply clipping them on. This excess movement on the lack of foam will cause very quick wearing and eventual failure of the parts.
- they look nice and are pleasing to the eye
- the price is very competitive
- the delivery time
- did the job, kept out glare and didn't steam up
Context: I bought these as my old pair finaly failed me and I had forgotten until checking my kit for this year. Not wanting to spend a lot of money online (I like to see what I'm buying and try them on) I thought that this pair would get me by on short notice for a week. Unfortunately due to the negatives listed above, after just one and a half days I reverted to buying and wearing some glasses to get me through a sunny week (I always wear goggles in poor weather as I believe £ for £ they provide superior vision than glasses).
Summary; they are priced accordingly for what they offer. You wouldn't expect to buy a new Ferrari at the same price as a Ford Ka because of the major differences in materials, design etc etc. that said they both do the job of getting you from A to B, one just looks and feels better so it really depends on personal preference and price restrictions. Don't however expect to have stumbled on a top of the range pair of ski goggles at this price thinking that you have somehow robbed the seller of his prize Ferrari. If you are looking for a pair of goggles to do the job for which they are designed at a low price then these will suit.
I would recommend that you purchase these goggles in an emergency, maybe as a spare pair or are price restricted. Remember you don't have to pay top dollar for your kit but you will appreciate spending a little more if the bank balance allows as the difference in quality is noticeable.