Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 4 May 2010
This was just what I wanted. I have some old holiday tapes and sooner or later the camera will stop working and I had nothing to play the tapes on . I wanted to convert these tapes to a more usable format. I used the converter to put the tapes onto my PC using the software provided. I can now watch them on my pc and I have also burnt the files to disc and I can play them on my DVD player. Set up was simple and using the convertor is easy. You can also copy VCR tapes to your PC but you will need a scart to three plug lead. I already had one of those so no problem. The software works fine on my PC which runs XP but will not load properly onto my laptop which runs windows 7. The manufacturers do not claim that it is compatible with Windows 7 so I have no complaints but some people out there might need to know. Overall I am very happy and recieved exactly what I wanted and expected.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2010
Doesn't work with windows 7 64 bit. Had to transfer to laptop where it works fine. You would think think with an operating system out for over 7 months they would have drivers for it.
on 2 July 2010
I have tried various methods to convert my old analogue camcorder tapes without much success. That may be down to limited ability (I am from the dark ages!!). This product is really easy to use and I have now stored most of my content. Not tried editing yet but hey one step at a time!
on 24 February 2014
Achieving the Mac compatibility as stated on the box isn't straight forward. I've spent a day trying to find the right setup and, although I think I'm there, it wasn't an easy ride. The 3 star rating isn't given for the IT (that looks fine) but for the flaky support from the manufacturer themselves. My issue (of just getting a green screen output) seems to be down to my use of a scart output from a VCR. But I cannot say because I'm still waiting for confirmation from ionaudio.com that the scart to composite lead conversion is the root cause. Before buying this to use on a Mac, please first check that your VCR offers the yellow, white and red composite outputs - if, like mine, your VCR only offers scart output then this device will not work and you'll need to source an alternate VCR.
on 24 January 2014
Surprisingly, they do not make digital camcorders you can recorded, switch off, and switch on to give a continuous film. You get separate files you have to join - which is tedious. So, I have kept my old analogue camcorder for that reason. However, in a digital world, I need to convert films to disc.

This is a comprehensive tool but it is not for the faint hearted. Installation was easy but the software is comprehensive and not intuitive (and no detailed instructions). The a/v sockets colours were wrongly coded for my camcorder and I had to play around with advanced settings to get the sound right. In all, good value but be aware and try out all the options before doing anything important. You will lose files otherwise.
on 16 January 2010
that this item will not work without one of these or similar http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Adapter-Switchable-Plug-Socket/dp/B00077DC6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264267268&sr=8-1 and will only work in composite mode. Once it is working it captures in sync. The output file is a mpg format that won't pay in quicktime etc. So I have to convert the outputted file to AVI or MP4.
on 8 January 2014
Looking at the reviews which I read before purchasing this product, I thought I might be in for a difficult time capturing the footage from DV tapes I have collected over the years. I have Windows 7 Pro and I thought that there might be some issues with compatibility. However, I received it and within about half an hour of installing the drivers and software, I started capturing the footage from my DV tapes. I just followed the instructions in the manual and voila, the process was like Swiss clockwork. I have yet to edit any of the footage or burn to DVD, upload to YouTube etc. but I have no doubt that this will be as simple as the initial video capturing.
on 8 March 2013
I bought this device to capture VCR home videos, before the tapes disintegrated.

Firstly, to lay a ghost - it works perfectly well with Windows 7 64 bit. Ion were very helpful in confirming that to me pre-sale, and indeed the drivers installed with no problems. The kit consists of two parts - a hardware transfer device and a copy of Cyberlink Power Director for the video editing. The transfer device sits between the VCR and the PC and just works in the background. All you need is a SCART to RCA 3 wire cable connector. The RCA cable itself is included.

Power Director is version 8, whereas the current version is 11, but version 8 seems perfectly full featured and I saw no reason to lay another £50+ on it to purchase the upgrade. It seems pretty powerful video editing software (this is my first time video editing so I am speaking as a newbie), but a bit of time on the manual repays the investment. Editing and then producing the videos went pretty smoothly, once I got the hang of it, although I am still experimenting to get the features I want into my final videos. You do need a reasonably powerful PC to make the most of the software (forum comments imply 2GB RAM is not enough), but it ran pretty quickly on my system, of 4GB RAM and an i5 chip.

Overall, it does the job I bought it for very well and, considering the software included, it seems a very fair price.
on 27 July 2010
Brilliant piece of kit,i`ve paired it up with Magix easy video,you can`t go wrong with the Ion (it`s about the same size as a fag packet).One point is that if your original sound is mono buy a rca doubler adapter so that your one lead will go into both rca plugs,otherwise the sound will come from one speaker on your Tv instead of from both bit in mono.This Ion converter replaces my pinacle one which even when i updated the drivers from XP to my Vista 64 played me up.After 8 hours messing about i decided to give up,even my patience was at an end.
on 30 December 2014
Only when I received this item and was able to read the documentation did it become clear that the resolution delivered is one more common to Windows and NTSC video. PAL D1 at 720 x 576 at 25 fps did not appear to be possible. I've given this 2 stars on the assumption that it is actually capable of something but I'm afraid I did not bother to waste time installing it to find out. Instead I searched for an alternative that is capable of what I needed. I found one at the same sort of price, and it works perfectly.