on 8 November 2012
Apparently 1 in 3 people suffer some form of Seasonal Affective Disorder or mild depression when the winter sets in and you're waking up and going to work, then coming home in the darkness. The lack of sunlight can really affect our mood and as the dark nights set in I recognised a tired, listless, low feeling I'd had the previous year, and I'd wondered then, do I have SAD? I never wanted to take pills for it, but I decided to try light therapy. I was expecting to pay £50+ at the very least and I was amazed to find the Lifemax Light Pod for under £30 and free delivery. It came the next day (Prime) and I love it. It's about the size of an A3 notebook and comes with a wall plug and instructions. It's so light and compact I can use it anywhere in the house, even wall mount it. After 2 days of use I already feel revitalised, less tired at night and with more 'get up and go'. It's not a miracle cure but it certainly helps and I've noticed a very defined difference.

If you are thinking of trying one of these then go for it, it's a briliantly affordable SAD light which works well and I only wish I'd bought one years ago. Just 20 - 30 minutes a day whilst I'm having my morning cuppa sets me up for the day. I highly recommend this light :)
on 3 November 2012
I did wonder what it would be like sitting staring into a light, but its not like that at all, as long as this thing is within your field of vision ( the closer to you the better ) then its working so I have it on while reading my emails in the morning and checking the news, etc.

I have noticed I am feeling much bouncier :-) where as just a few days ago, before receiving this, I was feeling like I wanted to cry all the time. I have noticed over the last few years I get very depressed, don't want to get up in the morning, hate work, generally lethargic after the change of the clocks so I thought I would try this and so far, fingers crossed, it seems to be doing the trick.

I have even had friends say how chirpy I seem, so something is happening.

I have read up on this and its not a placebo effect, even if in my case it was, what the heck, its doing something positive!

A great price to at least try and see if this helps. I can see myself maybe upgrading to something better and more powerful if I am happy it keeps working for me as that would allow me to have the light farther away from me and still benefit, the smaller the light the closer it has to be you see.

But if your feeling down in the darker nights give it a try.
on 18 November 2010
I have been using this SAD light for about one month. I don't have anything to complain about it. It is easy to transport (light/portable), no noise, and makes really well the job. Before, I suffered severely from SAD, and my mood and concentration changed significantly after I started using the light. The manual suggests 25-40 min, but I just have time to use for 15min in the morning. I would classify as the best acquisition from the last months. You can find more powerful results when using it in a room with fluorescent tube lights.
on 1 December 2011
As soon as the weather changed, I changed too. I found my thinking was woolly, I had constant tiredness, irritability, and everything was bothering me which usually doesn't. I felt like I was living in a black hole. Thankfully, I had heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder, and I knew within 5 minutes of reading up on it that this is what I was suffering with. I decided to try light therapy - even just looking at the photographs of light boxes was making me feel better!

My only reservation when selecting this product, was the lux output, as it is not a 10,000 lux lamp at arm's length. However, I once sat under a friend's 10,000 lux desk lamp and the light was so bright it gave me a headache. So given that, and the excellent reviews on Amazon, I opted for this light.

I am absolutely amazed at the results. I LOVE this light. To quote another review, this is not my SAD lamp, it's my HAPPY lamp! I have it on my desk, and I use it on and off between patients (I'm a dentist).

How quickly did it work? Within one day, I felt the results. My thinking was more lucid, I had more energy, and when it went dark at 4pm I didn't feel like I was descending into a vortex, I actually didn't mind it because I felt like I'd had plenty of light bathing on me all day long.

I have been using the light for a week now, and ladies, I can report a completely unexpected side effect. I am quite certain that using this lamp has helped alleviate symptoms of PMT (pre menstrual tension). I didn't get anywhere near as much of the usual aches and pains and mood swings - in fact it took me by surprise when I actually got my period because I felt so good. I don't even feel as bloated as I usually do. I looked this up online, and from what I can gather there has been some research which has demonstrated the benefits of light therapy on PMS/PMT.

As another reviewer said, I feel when I've had 'enough' light and then I turn it off. It is shining on me right now, and I can't tell you how good it feels!

Unless you suffer with severe symptoms of SAD, then this model should serve you very well, otherwise you may wish to consider a higher output. However, from what I can gather, a minimum of 2500 lux is needed to treat SAD, and I'm pretty sure this lamp should give around that at arm's length if not more. It is very portable (around half the size of a sheet of A4 paper and fits snugly in my handbag), and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

This little light of mine - I'm gonna let it shine! :-)
on 10 December 2010
Never having used a SAD light before, I ummed and ahhhed for a while about whether I should buy a cheap light to try out, or just splash out on an expensive one. I opted for this one at ...] and it has made a huge difference. Obviously I can't vouch for the more expensive models (I looked at the Phillips GoBlu at £130 ish), which may be amazing for all I know, but this one is good. I have been in the Arctic for a winter before, worked on a ship for a month and worked in a bunker (as I do at present); it takes 3-4 weeks for the winter blues to set in and after 3 weeks of use (1/2 hour twice per day) I feel a lot more motivated to work and to excercise, which of course helps us to feel alert and happier (my self-prescribed medication also includes eating well and listening to heavy metal). A definate reccomendation from me - don't waste another year thinking about getting a SAD light.
on 17 December 2010
I read all the reviews for this product both on this site and others and initially was a little concerned because some people said that it was a bit noisey & buzzed,but i decided that the risk was worth taking and i'm pleased to say thar so far i am very happy with my purchase.
I my light box the first morning it arrived and at first didn't notice a big difference in my mood but after a few days it had lifted greatly. All the family have noticed too so I can't reccommend it enough and if you a feeling a bit down because of these grey day i'd say give it a go as its worth the money and very easy to use. I just use mine every morning while i sit down with my 1st cup of tea.
on 24 February 2012
Yes it's half the price of some other manufacturers but frankly that just makes them overpriced!
20 minutes in a morning while reading the paper or watching TV and the SAD just goes away. It took about 4 days for it to start taking effect but it works and works well at that!
on 9 November 2011
This is an excellent product, good solid quality and very portable, provides the right amount of light needed and reading reviews from other sites and the makers it's an all rounder at an incredible affordable price. Other sites offer this product at £89 Don't waste hundreds on similar products that do the same job. Used it twice and feel motivated and happy already. Marvellous.
on 8 January 2015
Got this after a visit to GP for extreme tiredness and tests showed me to be in good health. I have been using it for 2 x half hour periods daily for just over a week now and have started to feel the difference. I was waking up tired, nodding off at my desk and when driving and having to go to bed about 8.30. At the moment I feel great, I am even back to carrying out tasks like cooking & cleaning without having to sit down. I can't guarantee it will continue to make me feel better, but at this present time I would recommend this product to anyone who believes they are suffering from SAD.
on 5 December 2011
I have had my light box for a month now and think i can feel a difference. I use it for an hour every day when i get to work to kick start my day. I don't feel as lethargic or emotional as usual. I wouldn't say my SAD is completely cured but it is making a difference. For the quality of this product and the effectiveness i would definitely recommend to all.