on 21 October 2009
Even if you're not struck down by some of the worst symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), you're probably just like everyone else in getting a bit run down and depressed as the nights draw in and the hours of daylight seem to almost disappear.

There's little more depressing than getting up in the dark and coming home in the dark! SAD lights are nothing new, specially designed high-pressure lights which attempt to replicate the benefits of bright sunlight and hopefully spark up your dark day a little.

Generally however, SAD lights have been so expensive, the effect on your bank balance is likely to undo any good work the light does itself.

This product gets round that problem and offers an affordable and entry level option to try SAD lighting and see if it has a benefit for you - without breaking the bank.

The unit's low cost is evident in its design and construction - this is budget stuff. And it's size also reflects its cheapness. But this is designed really for a quick top up of light, perhaps in the morning before work, or while you work at your computer, rather than being professional light therapy. With little more to do than sit and shine however, it's cheaper design and lack of robustness is going to be of little concern.

It's designed so it can be stood on a desk or shelf, or hand held and comes with an adjustable mode to allow you to only use one side of the unit at a time, or with a different frequency.

Make sure you read the instructions, these lights are not intended for continuous use and users should only expose themselves to the light for controlled periods of time.
2525 comments| 667 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2015
So pleased with first one I bought I now have two. One for upstairs to wake my brain up before driving to work at 5.30am. The other downstairs to use at the weekend when I eat my breakfast. Helps fight winter blues especially on very dark days. Been off anti-depressants for over 2 years - every little helps! Prompt delivery. Original light box now 3 years old and still going strong. Excellent value for money
on 8 December 2010
I was looking for my first SAD lamp, as I'm new to Scotland and the sun setting at 3:30pm had me very depressed. It may sound cliche, but this little guy changed my life! I use it for half an hour in the morning, and then if I need to for 20-30 minutes in the afternoon, and I truly feel like myself again. After a lifetime of suffering from the winterblues, I finally feel free from it! I didn't want to spend too much money, and it's actually nice that this smaller lamp is portable so I can take it from room to room. It's small and uncomplicated and does the job very well. No need to spend more.
11 comment| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2007
The light box has been very useful I have it on next to my computer at work, putting it on in the morning it helps me to get going and during these winter months has stopped me feeling so sleepy in the afternoon. Even my colleagues next to me have noticed a difference.
22 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2011
Although my home-office has a huge window, the room itself is sheltered by other buildings in the area and therefore doesn't get much natural light. The result is that it can be quite a gloomy place in which to work, especially in the winter months when it gets dark by around 3pm. To solve the problem, I decided to buy a full-spectrum natural desk light, which replicates the effects of outdoor light, and is supposed to have a beneficial effect on all that bask in its glory! These natural light products are suitable for people with SAD (Seasonal Affectation Disorder), and if you decide to purchase the product as a treatment device, you should use it for 20 - 45 minutes each day, preferably in the morning.

The price of sunlight...

Many of these natural lamps are really expensive - some costing hundreds and hundreds of pounds. I personally didn't want to spend too much, so I opted for the budget 'Lifemax Light Pod' which can be purchased for around £50. The Pod is a free standing device which can sit on your desk and illuminate your work area with some gloom-busting light. The product is technically classed as a 'light box' rather than a lamp, and therefore is more ambient and subtle in its output than a high powered lightbulb. The unit has an adjustable plastic stand at its rear which can be used to change the angle of the beam - I personally have it at its 'tallest' setting, meaning the flow of light is directed at the desk itself (and the mass of strewn papers which are currently on it!). This way my working area is illuminated, and it complements the ceiling light nicely.

Measuring around twenty centimeters across by twelve centimeters in height, the Light Pod is made out of plastic, but feels well constructed and quite solid. It weighs hardly anything, so it would be really easy to transport, and you could take it with you from room to room with little or no effort if you desired. The Pod uses two internal fluorescent tubes (if you look into the front you can see them as two wavy lines) which produce a relaxing light with a slight bluish tint. Tubes are used rather than LED's, as LED's can cause 'spotting' in the eyes if looked at for an extended amount of time. The light accurately transmits all the colours of the spectrum including a small amount of UV, and for drawing and painting it's great, as I can see colours as they would naturally appear if I were painting outdoors.

Wake me up!

In terms of its benefits, the Light Pod had an almost instantaneous effect on me - after the first week or so of use in the mornings, I felt less tired in the afternoons, and also managed to sleep better at night. Of course, you shouldn't use these natural light products in the evening, as they may have the opposite effect and prevent you from sleeping - it's all about getting the balance right.

Even after it has been switched on for quite some time, the front of the unit remains fairly cool, and it's unlikely to be a device with which you could burn your hand. In terms of its controls, the front of the Pod has a switch which can be changed between three settings labeled as 'L', 'LR', and 'R'. Choosing the 'L' setting results in light only coming from the left hand side of the device, whilst selecting 'R' will only turn the right hand side light on. The centre 'LR' setting is for full left and right light, and this is what I generally leave it set on for most of the time. The back of the device features an on / off rocker switch which is in an easily accessible location, and also the input for the 12v DC adapter which is supplied.

Looks aren't everything... or are they?

Considering its budget price, the LightPod is fairly nice looking - although the area where the light comes out from is surrounded by a lavender coloured plastic border, which isn't a colour I would necessarily have chosen. That said, it somehow looks quite tasteful when viewed as a whole and I would describe the general look as 'minimal and clinical'. To be honest, it's appearance is neat and tidy, and due to it's small size (see dooyoo's picture where it is shown next to a pen), it looks a bit space age.

So, who would I recommend The Lifemax Light Pod to? Well, if like me you've got a slightly dingy working area it's perfect, and will give the light levels a much needed yet subtle boost. For SAD sufferers it will be effective too - although the treatment times are a little longer with this product than with the larger and more expensive natural light sources on the market. One thing that must be pointed out is the fact that if you purchase this light as something to brighten up your office, it needs to be used in collaboration with a ceiling light, as it will be too dim to work by on its own - think of it a natural daylight top-up for when the sun has gone in and you won't be disappointed. In terms of the downsides, they are few and far between - as I mentioned earlier I would perhaps have preferred a surround which was all white, or all black in colour - but this is a minor niggle, and overall I'm entirely happy with my purchase.

12W output and 14,000 lux at 2.5 cm, or 5,500 lux at 7.5 cm on full power.
33 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2010
I was delighted (pardon the pun) What a super SAD LightBox ! I searched all over as I couldn't afford a lot of money. I suffer from Chronic Depression and SAD every year. This is a top product on some sites it was £80 !! Scandalous .... However worth every penny....(A mere £40 on Amazon) For six years now I have been getting steadily more ill. Not NOW !!! If you are tired all the time un cravin carbs, it's a must buy :) really impressed... Thanks Amazon. Feeling well after just three days use !!!!! buy one and prepare for the british winter. Highly recommended.
22 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2011
I was moved into an office with no natural light and began to feel really down. I ordered this out of desperation as I felt so bad. Within 2 days of having it on my desk I felt so much better, nearly 3 weeks on and I'm like a new person. Honestly, if you are feeling tired & depressed give this a try. I hate to think how I'd be now if I hadn't bought one. Worth every penny and small/compact enough to sit on my desk with no problem. Buy one!! :)
on 5 January 2010
I bought this for my mum for Christmas as she gets very down during the winter and always has done for as long as I can remember (probably SAD). This has made a massive difference to her, she has felt loads better within just 2 weeks of using it half to 3/4 hour every morning. She says she would recommend it to anyone. Really good value too!
on 24 November 2010
First a little about light therapy for those considering this product. Bright light for the treatment seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, has been shown to be effective. In fact, light therapy has become one of the treatments of choice for SAD. Although how it exactly works is not completely understood, light is known to be a potent phase-shifting agent of circadian rhythms and acts on melatonin metabolism and secretion.

So how much IS enough? Well, the minimal intensity of artificial light that appears necessary for an antidepressant effect in SAD is 2500 lux for two hours, or alternatively, a brighter light exposure of 10,000 lux for 30 minutes (Tam 1995). Is it safe? Yes, bright light does appears to be safe, and side effects are mild, if the light does not contain substantial energy in the ultraviolet spectrum. Also important to know is that in SAD patients, light has been shown to be most effective when given in the morning (Terman 2001).

As you can tell, there is a lot of research to back up the use of light therapy if you suffer from seasonal affective disorder. And even if you don't, emerging research is showing that the benefit of light treatment is modest for people with NON-SEASONAL depression too!

Having said all that, the Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Portable Simulated Daylight Box is one of my top recommendations. It has many handy features, one of the best being its portability: you can easily take it with you on trips if need be. And lets face it, if you can take it places and move it around easier, you're much more likely to use it!

So when all is said and done, being relatively inexpensive and shown to be effective, you really don't have much to lose when trying this product. And if its not your thing, consider other options such as exercise. At least one study (Pinchasov 2000) has compared light therapy to exercise and found both to be EQUALLY effective for SAD. Readers might want to check out books such as "Exercise Beats Depression" for more on that. Good luck!
55 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2010
For its size, this light pod puts out a really good light. Each side can be used separately, or they can be used together. Its only downside is that it is a little bit lightweight so you have to be careful where you put it. Other than that it is excellent and I would recommend it. Also, it seems to be much more expensive elsewhere so the price is very good.