Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 1 June 2006
I had seen a video of the song 'Open Your Eyes' on MTV2 and I instantly liked it. I thought I'd take a gamble on it and immediately bought the album.

I listened to about half of the album to begin with and gave up. I have since given it another try and listened to the whole album. Let me tell you one thing. This album will blow your mind.

The only words which describe this album are positive ones. It is brilliant, it is epic, it is explosive, and the main factor- Myles Kennedy's vocal range is extraordinary.

On the opener, 'Find The Real', it is an epic, riff-laden extragavanza where Kennedy reaches absolutely gravitating heights with his voice. Especially at the end where he holds his voice for about ten seconds in differentiating ranges. Unbelievable.

The second track, 'One Day Remains', and the title track to the album is much more up-tempo. Kennedy still sings very impressively and in comparison to Scott Stapp, Kennedy is the one with the better vocal range, and ultimately, the stronger voice. Another very heavy track, the riffs are very meaty and sound superb.

The third track, and the first release, which was 'Open Your Eyes', is a soaring anthem, right from the very beginning. The chorus is brilliant, almost taken out of Creed's book. However, on the whole, Alter Bridge's music is nothing like Creed. But this song is brilliant.

The fourth track, 'Burn It Down' is another brilliant track, and the longest on offer here at seven minutes long. Starts melodically, and Kennedy's vocals are amazing here. One of my favourites. Unforgettable.

Track five, 'Metalingus' is a hard-rocking track, and brilliant at that. The drums at the beginning are brilliant. The track then explodes into life. The method in which it finishes is also spectacular. A definite highlight.

Track six, 'Broken Wings' begins very slowly, but has a nice melody to it. The chorus is probably the most anthemic on the whole album. 'On broken wings I'm falling, and it won't be long, the skin on me is burning by the fires of the sun.' You sometimes find that a chorus makes a song and this is the case here. Unforgettable.

Track seven, 'In Loving Memory' is the tribute of one band member to his grandmother. It's a lovely ballad, and although it's quite heavy, the lyrics are deep and meaningful. A perfect ballad.

Track eight, 'Down To My Last' begins with a soaring riff, before a melodic opening verse. This song is another anthemic one, and this is probably Kennedy at his brilliant best, in the unforgettable chorus.

Track nine, 'Watch Your Words' is a very heavy song, in the same context maybe as 'Metalingus' is. It begins in absolutely kick-ass fashion with meaty riffs and growling bass. The pre-chorus is rather melodic, however the chorus itself is brilliant and explodes into life. Superb.

Track ten, 'Shed My Skin' begins very slowly- like a ballad. By now Alter Bridge are developing a knack for anthemic, soaring choruses and when they work this well, who can complain? Kennedy certainly has the voice for it. He reaches heights here that are previously unheard on the album. Brilliant.

Track eleven, and the final track, 'The End Is Here' begins lightly. But you just know that underneath that calm surface is a beast waiting to jump out. And in the chorus that's precisely what happens. The song has a relatively creepy feel to it, and Kennedy's voice is incredible throughout. A perfect way to end a perfect hard rock album.

Alter Bridge combine solid bass lines, meaty guitar riffs, cohesive drumming and an incredible vocal talent in Myles Kennedy. An amazing band to whom I look forward their next album. Unbelievable music. Two thumbs up.
on 23 December 2004
This is simply agreeing with many of the other reviews, but this is the best album I own. I listen to loads of guitar related and instrumental music like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica, but this album shows how amazin vocals and incredible guitar skills can create something amazing. I bought this album seeing the video for Open Your Eyes, and was blown away by Tremonti on the guitar. I never got into Creed, so wasn't quite sure what to expect. There isn't a dull song on the album, and it consists of brilliant power ballads such as Burn It Down, courtesy of Myles Kennedy (vocals) and Mark Tremonti (guitar), but features heavier songs like Metalingus (my favourite song ever!!) People will be scratching their heads as to how Tremonti can pull off the solos he does, especially on Open Your Eyes. Scott Phillips is an amazing drummer, putting in loads of fills and double bass, and Brian Marshall brings the band together with his bass playin.
Overall, this is the best album in the world, so go buy it! You won't be disappointed.
on 17 August 2010
I only heard of this band when Myles Kennedy started touring with Slash this year but this band are awesome! Can't believe they aren't bigger. Myles has one of the best voices I've heard, his range is incredible, and the tracks on here are a good mix of rock metal and some amazing melodies. I'd recommend Blackbird as well, both 5*
on 15 May 2011
I bought this album when it was first released back in 2004 and it has been in my top 5 favourite albums since then. The debut album from Alter Bridge allowed Mark Tremonti the freedom that was denied him in Creed, it also brought Myles Kennedy to the attention of the rock world for those of us who missed him in The Mayfield Four.

The record is full of top drawer material,there are no dud tracks here. From opener Find The Real to last song The End Is Here, it is a musical journey with soaring singalong rock songs (Open You Eyes, One Day Remains), introspective ballads(Burn It Down, Broken Wings) and all out metal moments (Metalingus, Watch Your Words) all present and correct. Highlights for me are Open Your Eyes, Watch Your Words and Shed My Skin but in truth all of this album does it for me.

Alter Bridge have developed their sound with Blackbird and ABIII, intergrating Myles influence more fully into the band. Both are stunning records but for me One Day Remains is still my favourite. It just has something that keeps me coming back to listen to it again and again. It is not as polished as Blackbird and ABIII with a rawer production that if anything makes the band sound even better, its also an honest record where the band are simply doing what they want. This album represents a band stepping out of a shadow and making the music they always wanted to make, it is simply one of the most underated rock records from the 2000s.
on 28 February 2006
I'd always enjoyed Creeds sound,there most memorable track being "Higher",but Alter Bridge are something else -they're in a different league altogether,especially the lead singer-Myles Kennedy.
It's like when Van Halen replaced Dave Lee Roth with Sammy Hagar,they went from strength to strength and Alter Bridge will do similar if they continually produce songs of this quality.
Put simply,this album ROCKS!!! in every sense of the word.
on 11 March 2011
I had already been lucky enough to hear a track off this album. A friend of mine recommended this particular one to be their best. I have to agree its pretty fantastic, and it would take alot to beat it. However, i will be buying Alter Bridges' others to see if i am right. Its worth the five star rating i have given it, if you are wondering which of their albums to buy first, this is the one you should try!

So, so brilliant!
on 4 January 2012
I eagerly bought this album back when it was first released on the strength of Mark Tremonti's anthemic guitar work in Creed so I thought I'd write a review for those yet to be converted; I was not disappointed. It's immediately obvious this is a different and far superior beast to Creed. Through various rock magazine articles I read leading up to the this album it became clear that Tremonti felt very much stifled in how he could play in Creed and that this would be a vehicle in which he could let rip. And doesn't he just!
Things open momentously, Tremonti's guitar screaming and blaring with the reckless abandon of a man determined to show what he can do when he's off the chain. Coupled with that voice of Kennedy's and you have a one-two for the ages (Kennedy and Slash is another). But this is no two horse show, in Marshall and Phillips they have arguably the best rhythm section in modern rock. Just listen to Phillips' amazingly kinetic drums in One Day Remains and try to keep the grin off your face.
Although there were obviously a lot of issues to be aired after the break up of Creed and various deaths of family members, I think there's just one ballad too many but this is easily off set by the strength of the rockers, of which there are plenty, including the gloriously heavy (and brilliantly titled) Metalingus and the none-more-anthemic Down To My Last. Stunning! Before this came out I remember putting my money on Velvet Revolver having the best debut album of the year; that was a great album but this is better.
on 8 March 2006
If you had asked me who Alter Bridge were in late 2004, I wouldn't have had a clue who you were talking about. Then in January 2005 the song "Find The Real" was used for WWE's Royal Rumble PPV theme song. I found out who the group was, and discovered WWE superstar Edge had "Metalingus" as his new entrance music. I checked out their website, and was hooked. I bought the album, have had it for a year now, and it hasn't left my stereo yet.
Now I liked Creed, "My Sacrifice" is my all-time favourite song, but Kennedy kicks Stapp's ass on vocals. Instrumentally Alter Bridge are a different class to Creed, Tremonti seems to have evolved for this CD. I defy any rock fan to find a better album than this. Every song on this CD has a unique sound, each brilliant in it's own way. This is my run-down:
1) Find The Real - One of the best openings to an album I've heard, great powerful song for their 2nd single. 10/10
2) One Day Remains - Superb guitar riffs (a theme carried on throughout the album). A good fast paced song and this unfortunately makes it the song most out of place (though still not a bad song!). 8/10
3) Open Your Eyes - Their 1st single and the best track on the CD bar none, the guitar work and vocals are at their best here. 10/10 isn't enough for this brilliance!
4) Burn It Down - Slow starter, which seems it may never get going, but once it does it's an excellent power ballad. 9/10
5) Metalingus - This is my 2nd favourite track, not only because i'm a huge Edgehead, but because the guitar work here will blow you away (again). 10/10
6) Broken Wings - Their 3rd single, and another emotional track. Cool video for this one too. 8.5/10
7) In Loving Memory - This song wasn't one I liked to begin with, how I was wrong. Beautiful heartfelt vocals, brings a tear to your eye if your not careful. 10/10
8) Down To My Last - The song that is most forgetable, but is still better than most album tracks around. 8/10
9) Watch Your Words - A great, dark start. Heavy start that continues throughout, with calmer intervals included. 8.5/10
10) Shed My skin - This song really started to grow on me recently, has a superb ending, like all the songs. 9/10
11) The End Is Here - Ends the album better than any CD I own. Another great song. 10/10
Emotional, meaningful, superb guitars, out of this world vocals. Each song leads perfectly into the next. From start to finish this album is a rock masterpiece.
on 3 September 2006
I was introduced to Alter Bridge (and Creed and The Mayfield Four)by a friend, and still cannot thank her enough!

Alter bridge really do blow Creed away by a mile, and that's no slur on Creed, it's just that AB are so amazing.

Unlike Creed, the sound of Alter bridge (almost raw at times i think) gives Tremonti especially chance to shine, as I felt he was sometimes a bit overshadowed by Stapp's vocals.

Myles Kennedy is just amazing (in all of the groups he has been a member of, including the not so well known Citizen Swing - wirth checking out) and is one of the few vocalists I know who is as good on studio works as he is live (having seen Alter bridge perform in Wolverhampton at the start of the summer)

Brian Marshall on the bass and Scott Phillips on the drums are much more in the limelight than they were with Creed (need I say more than Metalingus?).

All in all, these guys are one of the freshest and most original groups I've encountered of late, and I challenge anyone who thinks that they are "just Creed with a different singer", this is NOT the case.

Looking forward to the new album, and next tour!

Also, check out Logan if you get the chance ([...] I saw them support Alter Bridge and went and bought their album straightaway. They rock.
on 17 February 2011
I'm not a rock fan, I just like most genres of music. Funnily enough, I came across the track 'Metalingus' when watching a recent WWE event, and thought that Edge's music was catchy, so I got this album. I'm blown away! The lyrical content is thought provoking and conscientious. The lyrics are so cleverly written, I could hardly believe. Combine that with the most amazing vocals (lead vocalist's range is unbelieveable) and the musical package I've got one of the best albums I've heard in years. I've been inspired to do some catch up and have bought 2 more Alter Bridge albums - I didn't realise what I was missing! :)