Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 24 May 2012
JB has really out done himself on this record. The baritone guitar oh "The Ballad of John Henry" is in my opinion of of his great all time riffs. other songs like "Story of a Quarryman" are uber awesome, the soulful Happier Times is a master piece of grace and pure blues with a southern sound.

However JB gets back to his roots with "Lonesome Road Blues" as a great up tempo blues track.

For me this album may become JB, "Paranoid" or "Machine Head" or "Black Album"......... i.e the album you give to a child if they ask "Who is Joe Bonamassa?"
on 16 June 2017
very pleased with it
on 11 April 2017
My friend loved it so I love it!
on 6 June 2017
great
on 5 July 2017
excellent
on 28 February 2009
Many Bands produce their best work in the early days - U2/Bon Jovi/Clapton etc but we think that they'll then progress further which is often not the case. However to play the blues with such maturity of tone and texture must come through time yet with JBM he seems have torn the rule book up here. This is whats makes it so refreshing that we have a young head who still has the bite for creativity and daring to not conform but with the class of an elder blues statesmen.

His own tracks and covers are well put together and the album has very deep gritty feel to it with JBM throwing himself 100% into tracks you thought no one would dabble with. His voice and music complement each other very well.

The feel of the album feels so natural and is not overworked. Jockey Full of Bourbon and the soulful happier times to me are the stand out tracks but generally there all up there.

The blues just flaws effortlessly and the guitar work sways from moody deep chords throught to blistering licks.Never overworked or overstated.

We've been blessed with 2 greats this year with albums and tours JBM and Gary Moore however....Been Honest - This will give the technically brilliant Gary Moore (but becoming predictable)more than a good run for his money and will hopefully drag him out of his comfort zone and get him to become creative (again)as this is the type album I have craved from him for some time.

A very good album and... if this guy can perform live... this album/tour will put JBM in the arenas next time around...Watch this space.
33 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 February 2009
Yet another quality album from JB - just when is he going to peak? Surely he cannot continue to put out albums of this quality - at some point the bubble must burst!
Having ordered this in advance of release and hearing the odd piece out on the radio courtesy of JB's own show, I was sure ready for this when it finally popped onto my doormat. "Impress Me Again" I thought as I put this into my CD player....and what came forth was as pleasing as it was unexpected - this latest offering being a much darker and complicated mixture than previously put out - but even so, it is immediately accessible and does not require repeated listening to "get it"
The usual combination of self penned and covers is here, and all crisply covered by the maestro, so whether you are new to JB's music or not matters not one jot you will enjoy.
Personal favourites? None, they are all that good and I hope the man will feature the lot on his upcoming tour - what is interesting though is his choice of covers and the way that he puts them over....it was not what I was expecting.
Brilliant - nothing less!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2009
Appearing as if from nowhere, Slow Gin brought this brilliant artist to my attention, and I have thoroughly enjoyed building up my collection with his back catalogue. I've only had the chance to listen to this the whole way through once and it hits you immediately in the solar plexus, just how good a guitarist this guy is, how well produced this album is and most strikingly for me, what a good singer he is. Often underrated that, and I am looking forward to the Royal Albert Hall gig all the more now.

One further point in Joe's favour is that my 11 year old lad has declared him his favourite "band" (I know!) and anyone who can turn a boy of that age away from all that hip hop rubbish has to be a good thing. The RAH gig will be his first ever gig as well and I can't help thinking that it will be hard act to follow.

Anyway, enough of this self-serving stuff, the bottom line is that this is blues rock of the highest calibre and deserves a wider audience.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2010
Firstly let me say this review is not a JB vs. Gary Moore comparison as so many other writers seem to promote. They're very different players and I've always thought Bonamassa was far closer to Robben Ford in style and tone. You can also dismiss claims that Joe is the new Stevie Ray - they've little in common.

I don't see this as a 5-star album because (a) all the tracks that are on both this and his live DVD sound far better in the concert setting - this has to be an indictment of the production and arrangements used in the studio; and (b) Bonamassa's voice becomes slightly monotonous if you listen to the entire album in a sitting. In particular the singing style (constantly bending up a third at the end of lines) in the more overtly blues numbers hardly varies. This is a pity as his voice is very distinctive and some of his own compositions have quite good melodies.

His guitar playing is very accomplished (MUCH better live) but it's obscured in many places by what I consider to be overproduction, too many fx and a "slickness" that doesn't sit well with blues music. The title track and "Last Kiss" are live stormers but here they sound too repetitive. "Stop", "Jockey full of Bourbon","Lonesome road Blues" "Happier Times" and "Story of a Quarryman" are terrific songs but this album is not any better than "You & Me" or "Blues deLuxe" and I would recommend going for the Albert Hall DVD as a better option or his Rock Palast DVD (as a 3-piece) both of which are 5-star releases.
on 17 April 2009
From the very first track which happens to be the title track to the last this album delivers sheer class. I predict it will be a future classic or there's no justice in this world. Bonamassa's vocals are excellent as is his guitar playing, where he captures the very essence of every song. John Henry is sung as though he was telling someones life story, Stop is played with sheer genius where the notes just mesmerize. And then there's the Last Kiss which rolls on a melody which does not fail to get your foot tapping and leads up to the wonderful Jockey Full Of Bourbon with it's bar room piano and gut wrenching lead. At this point you are not even half way through the album and I just wanted more and more. The recording quality is excellent with crystal clear presentation and good sound stage when listening on stereo speakers or headphones. I recommended this album prior to it's release to a work colleague who heard a few tracks and went and bought the album even before I did. It will be a hard album to follow up on for Joe.