on 19 January 2010
A good idea but a little fiddly to use in practice. Found the instructions a little difficult to follow and the array of flashing lights not intuitive at all.

When is there going to be standardisation in the meaning of flashing lights on chargers - the colour, duration of flash, and meaning of no lights on seems to be randomised across manufacturers. Isn't it about time all you battery charger R&D staff had a conference in an expensive hotel somewhere?

I'll be trying out with my multiple batteries in South America. Again, one star off until I change my mind on fiddliness and poor instructions.
on 17 February 2010
Delighted with this little treasure. Needed it to charge camcorder batteries away from the camera, and also in the car when on a shoot.

Well designed and robust manufacture - all the necessary bits and pieces to meet my requirements.

Used it immediately and it more than met my expectations. Excellent value.

Bought another make which broke the first time I tried to use it.

Well done Hahnel - would not hesitate to try further products of yours.

Already in my camera bag ready for action when needed.

Reg Rose.
on 27 December 2012
I looked long and hard at other reviews of this product before purchase. I have now tested it but not owned it long enough for a thorough appraisal. So far, so good.
The charger appears to work well and is able to charge all my different camera batteries with the ability to auto detect polarity. It's not at all technical or fiddly to set up and use. I can't award 5 stars yet as I'd need to have tested over a much longer period but I don't anticipate any problems.
Incidentally, I won't charge totally flat batteries. This is because it needs to detect the polarity before charging begins. However, totally flat is something that's only achieved if the battery has been left laying about without use for a long time. Warming the battery slightly (e.g. in a trouser pocket) should 'awaken' the chemistry enough for the charger to do its stuff.
on 14 January 2010
I have two Nikon DSLRs, a D80 and a D300. Each uses a different battery (or an array of AAs). My wife has a Canon Ixus and my Daughter a Leica point and shoot. Each has a different rechargeable battery. Four different chargers to clutter up a drawer or to remember on holiday. This claims to be able to charge any Lithium Ion battery (including AA and AAA)and looks as if it will. The charging contacts for the "non-standard" batteries are adjusted by a knurled wheel and screw. A little fiddly perhaps. I haven't used it in anger yet but it looks as if it will do all it says it will. And it is multi-voltage and comes with different plugs and an in-car adapter. It should prevent the hassle of taking multiple chargers on holiday, saving the trouble of rounding them up beforehand and carting them round. They say it does phone batteries too and other devices with a USB port. If it is shaping up after three months I will return and give it a fifth star.
on 16 April 2013
The charger comes with a UK plug only, although it comes in 2 parts which suggests that there are other options. It is universal in the sense that it will charge a large variety of batteries within the stated voltage range, but to be supplied without European or US plug adapters is very poor indeed. Had I known this I would not have made the purchase. I use 3 different Nikon batteries, and they all showed fully charged, though I knew that they were not. The problem was that the spring loaded cover doesn't grip the battery tightly enough and there isn't a good contact. Elastic bands saved the day with the 7.4 v batteries, but I haven't yet come up with an answer for the little Coolpix battery.

I'll probably keep it, as it will charge my wife's Kindle, as well as AA/AAA batteries and comes with a car charger.
on 3 September 2015
It does not do what is is supposed to. It is advertised as a universal battery charger. I have the two types of camera batteries that is on list that came with the charger. One a 7.2(8.1Wh(Li-on) does charge but it is so fiddly to get it fitted in and charging. My other batter also on the list of ones it will charge is a 7.4V(96.8Wh(Li-on) does not charge, it starts and then slips off the charging connections and then the charging stops and it does not charge. The only other of my batteries I can charge with it are my 2 AA batteries.
I regret ordering and purchasing this as I have wasted time and money on this. Will probably end up throwing it away. If you are looking for a universal camera battery charger do not buy this one. There must be one on the market which works better.
on 14 August 2013
I have today charged 1 x nikon dslr battery, 1 x canon compact battery, 1 x panasonic video battery, all on this one wonder machine. Traveling with all my photo equipment will never be the same again. It will also charge my phone and iPad as well but I have not tried it yet, the only down side is the lack of some sort of travel adapter but I have european travel plugs already so no great hardship.
on 5 July 2010
I took this on holiday and it replaced five chargers-

1 x Canon camera
1 x Fuji camera
2 x Blackberry
1 x iPod via usb

It charged the two different camera batteries and two different Blackberry batteries an absolute treat. No problems at all.

The genius part is the inclusion of a USB port to charge iPods and any other devices whose battery you can't remove.

I would recommend this to anybody who would normally take multiple chargers on holiday. It runs off 100-240 volts and 50-60 Hz, so no issues with use abroad.
I won't be using it to replace my normal charging at home as I often need more than one device on charge at a time, but for taking away both here and abroad it is fairly faultless.
on 27 July 2016
Rubbish product. Awkward to use. Very poor connections and batteries not charged when green light shows.
May be OK for charging AA's & AAA's
Take note of reviews before buying this.
Given it is supposed to be made by Hahnel I am disappointed to say the least.
I smell a fake !!!!!!!!!.
on 27 February 2012
We have a Canon 50D & Panasonic TM900 and this charges both batteries. It also will do AA & AAA and most probably stuff I haven't bought yet.

Nuff said really.

ps it is a bit fiddly to use but really to carp about it.....?