Format: DVD|Change

on 10 December 2009
Having watched Ewan & Charley's 'Long Way Round' and 'Long Way Down'; and also Charley's 'Race to Dakar' and 'By Any Means (to Sydney)' I have to say that this latest offering from Charley is absolutely stunning compared to the aforementioned offerings.

This time around there is less of the "ME"-factor from Charley and more of the "Hey folks, look, I'm using all the means of transport available but that's not really important, look at the countries I'm traveling through and the cultures I'm experiencing."

All in all this is a very entertaining, fascinating and informative production, making one realise that the Australia and the Pacific Rim Archipelago has more to it than it would seem at first. Also, the odd quirky or amazing means of transport pops up here and there, plus some super customizing of cars and bikes is shown.

My only gripe is that perhaps a bit more of Claudio could be featured as he appears to be a charming person with a screen personality of his own (but then it wouldn't be Charley's film, would it?)

But that aside, I will heartily recommend this production to anyone that wishes to experience a bit of the Pacific Rim area vicariously - you will not be disappointed. (I would also recommend the other items mentioned if they are not already a part of your collection - but I guess I'm preaching to the converted.)
on 15 December 2009
I have followed Charley's adventures from Long Way Round to Sydney to Tokyo. I found this trip better than the first (Ireland to Sydney) mainly because I don't think Russ who followed Charley on his first trip had much to do with this one. Charley on this trip was more in control of were he went and what they decided to show us the viewer. Although the trip was not completely done on motor-bikes I still enjoyed it immensely, a really good way to pass an afternoon over the Christmas.
`Sydney to Tokyo By Any Means' is the continuation of Charley Boorman`s epic travel adventure and this time he travels up the pacific rim from Australia to Japan. There are six episodes, each mainly focusing on a country (Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Philippines, Taiwan and Japan) and this takes in vibrant cities and remote jungles and everything in between. Charley's sense of delight and adventure is infectious and as with the first series, I enjoyed this more for Ewan McGregor being missing as Charley thrives on his own and is more entertaining. There are a vast range of vehicles utilised throughout, from quad bikes to boats, spitfires to tanks and rickshaws to motorbikes and more besides. There are bonus features including Charley's twitter diary and extra clips. Charley experiences some amazing things and we get to enjoy them with him, although I am glad it was Charley eating the turtles testicles and not me! This is an interesting and action packed adventure and well worth watching if you have enjoyed his other travel series`.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 9 February 2016
I love Charley Boorman and his adventures, I have actually met him at the motorcycle show that is held in Birmingham uk, he's a top bloke giving you extremely top insights into other peoples lives and ways of living.
Definitely recommend any and all of Charley's DVD adventures.
on 29 June 2015
Charley Boorman is great and what he shows here is amazing. Sadly DVD looks like cheap edition. There is nothing more (no other languages, no subtitles at all). That makes me sad. Great show, poor edition.
on 10 April 2012
Love travelling stories, always wanted to travel the world and see it in Ll it's glory, I love watching program's about it and reading the books, charley boor an never fails to entertain me and feed me knowledge and scenery that I may never see in real time.
on 4 March 2013
A much more relaxed presentation and thankfully less of the F word by Charlie make this dvd more acceptable to view with grandchildren. Very interesting insight to the countries and their populations en route.
on 29 September 2012
Not quite as good as the original "by any means" but still compulsive viewing! Charley could make any mundane journey sound like the adventure of a lifetime! Pity there's not more or a reunion with Euan McGregor on the cards!
on 1 October 2011
This is really simple.
Long Way Round, Charley and Ewan on bikes. Brilliant
Long Way Down, Charley and Ewan on bikes with support crew. Brilliant
By Any Means, Charley and Russ on all kinds of transport. Superbly entertaining, we didn't miss Ewan or Claudio at all
This DVD? Charley with random people, no Ewan, no Russ and very brief glimpses of Claudio. He messed with the chemistry of his previous adventures too much with this one, don't get me wrong, I think Charley is a great guy and very down to earth but there is something lacking with this adventure.
on 3 October 2010
What a great series this is and a must see for anyone interseted in South East Asia particularly the Philippines which is little shown on British TV. Charley Boorman is a great presenter with a great sense of humour and at the bargain price on Amazon you get a lot of quality television for very little money. Highly recommended *****