Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2013
Saw this film on TV and loved it but don't think it was shown again so was pleased to buy a dvd. Recommend it to anyone who appreciates the nostalgia of a 1950s Christmas.
on 29 December 2015
I have loved this film for many year and it is a real shame that it is hardly ever broadcast on TV.. Every year the same festive favourites are shown over and over but, this one hardly ever gets aired! Great acting, great story.
on 2 February 2010
This film is as good as it gets. We haven't Seen The Holly and the Ivy for more than 20 years. A faith based channel in Canada used to show it every year as a launch to the Christmas season, but stopped suddenly, when Christmas became politically incorrect.

The acting is superb, the story heartwarming and true if you have ever known any clerical families. We have all known -- or had -- an Aunt Lydia and an Aunt Bridget. We have all known a Mick and an Uncle Richard, too.

Take a look -- you will be impressed.
on 14 January 2015
If you love old fashioned English Christmas films then this is a good one. My mother used to love it which is why I bought it. I never saw the original but read that some of the best scenes have been deleted. This was still an enjoyable movie to watch and deals with family problems that are experienced today. It will be on my regular Christmas movie viewing list if only for nostalgia !
on 7 November 2014
I saw this film on television years and years ago at Christmas time. I have never seen it since. Every year I wonder why this film is not available for region 1. Can anyone tell me why that is?? This is a beautiful film. Thank you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 December 2014
A rather rushed but quite enjoyable adaptation of the stage play with an all star cast. The transfer is excellent with good sound an image for this vintage production.
on 20 March 2014
Cecilia Johnson is marvellous in this as is Ralph Richardson and Denholm Eliot. A lot of wisdom in this film. Lovely period piece.
on 20 January 2013
An old and some may say outdated film now, but I enjoyed it so much as it reminds me of my youth.
on 8 November 2010
A beautiful Christmas film with old fashioned values and a pleasure to watch each year.
on 2 January 2014
Altho rather dated and filmed during the days when family members never really "talked" to each other, forget the manners, clothing, etc. and enjoy a lovely little story of a family ultimately brought together at Christmas time. Excellent acting as well. I searched a long time looking for this film on dvd, thank you Amazon UK.