This is the third time I've bought this album - cassette, CD and now this two disc expanded edition. It's a classic album that has stood the test of time given the strength of the song writing, Lindsey Buckingham & Richard Dashut's skilful production and not forgetting the stunning vocal arrangements. The deluxe edition was tempting for a couple of minutes but this seemed like much better value for money (I'm sure they'll delight many but endless eighties extended mixes and remixes hold no interest for me).

Surprisingly given that the original production of this album is sonically very clean, the remaster does highlight enough subtle but noticeable differences to make it worthwhile, particularly Buckingham's guitar playing. The volume is slightly louder and the overall sound is clearer. It's probably not worth an upgrade for the re-master alone unless you're an audiophile (a single disc remastered CD has also been released) but the second disc should appeal to fans.

Collecting together three non-album B-sides and 10 previously unreleased demos / alternate versions, the second disc is an interesting listen, nothing more; nothing less except for 'Special Kind of Love' and closing track 'You and I, Part I & II' (Full Version). Previously unreleased 'You and I, Part I' is a jaw-dropping mid-tempo slice of pop that's very different from the Part II it segues into and it's incredible that it was omitted from the original release.

Housed in a double gatefold cardboard sleeve that features four studio portraits of the band, the combined playing time of both discs is a few seconds shy of 99 minutes. The accompanying 16 page booklet features a few archive photos, an essay about the album, credits and the lyrics for the original album tracks. If you decide to let this expanded edition pass you by, I do recommend downloading You And I, Part I & II (Full Version). Remastered original album: 5 Stars; Second disc: 3 Stars.
on 5 April 2017
Ok my review is in two parts no 1 content,followed by no2 packaging and quality of the reissue.

No1 Content
The remaster is sublime,it's sound is sonically improved upon the original master.If you have the original then buying any of the reissues of tango in this collection is money well spent. With regards to the bonus disc of outakes,demos and b-sides this is the real jewel in this collection. It's great to hear how the original demo versions have come along into full fledged tracks on the finished album. This is the great thing about the FM reissue programme is the wealth of bonus material and we are not left disappointed here on this deluxe reissue. Finally the third disc could have quite easily been made into two and included a few other obscure edits but we have been left with a single disc of the most important ones. It's great to have these as it's been some time since most of us may have played the 12" singles in our collections (even if the remix is not something that really fits with FM style). Finally the DVD is a little sparse and yes could have easily been a blueray but equally could have included more than just the small amount of promo videos. It's a real shame that for such an important collection FM couldn't have conducted some new interviews on film for us. Also it's great we have the 5.1 mix but I would say more DVD film context would have easily been opted for by fans and maybe release a blueray audio separately instead. Finally the vinyl is nice black and heavy and is almost too good to play. So in a nutshell a few flaws on the content but only is your a real completist wanting everything and the tango in the night kitchen sink too.

Musical content 5
DVD content 3

On the packaging this is the downside,it's too slim. Upon first impressions it's very similar to the new Doors box set and it may save the trees but we should really be getting something more case bound. In theory we are getting a gatefold LP in a hard cover slipcase. Ideally this should be in a whole case bound book style package and instead of the somewhat thin booklet we should be getting a lot more value for money. There is no detail on the sessions and nothing at all on the run down of the bonus content. In fact for such beautiful artwork and also the finish of the LP I must say this amazing album deserves better and more expanded packaging. Also the cds are in poor card cd singles and then they fit into slits for each. This could have been easily put into packaging where each was placed into a different page. The booklet is my main bug bear tho and it's nice and big but flimsy and a real afterthought. Finally this could also have been improved with maybe a card print of the cover (say numbered) and maybe a poster of the cover too as it's such an iconic image. Finally I did look once the box was empty to see if some of my dissapintment would have been stopped by me finding a download code inside but yet again I was left wanting and expecting the simple things that most other bands include in deluxe reissues as standard. A real shame for a band that I have collected everything that they have released.

Last but no least I spent £49 on this release and given the above it's borderline value for money,had a couple of things been added that would have cost the record company pennies in the greater scheme of things it would have been worthy of 5 starts.

Overall packaging 3 stars

Final rating 4 stars
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2017
Was really looking forward to hearing this album, so I initially bought this at HMV. When i played it for the first time i decided to play seven wonders which was my favourite song only to hear multiple skips to the point where a whole phrase was missing?! So decided to buy it from amazon only to find that it had the exact same problem ! So after playing both copies on three different record players, it must come down to a bad pressing as it is the only thing that explains how different copies from different stores could have the exact same mistakes. Really dissapointing as they are such an amazing band.
on 1 June 2017
Great re-issue. The bonus disc a little less interesting then the others, maybe cos Stevie wasn't as present. But a must have for the fans.
on 29 April 2017
Thanks again for cd great value and service
on 6 June 2017
love this album
on 23 June 2017
super vinyl
on 16 January 2017
Better quality than expected
on 28 September 2016
Once again, amazing service!! Great product too - thank you so much!
on 26 April 2017