on 25 June 2017
So, my first album by Dream Theater. I am following LEAH and she said that one of her inspirations are these guys. I googled the best of the albums and this popped up. Metropolis Part 2....(Part 1 is on Images and Words album in case you were wondering like I was).
I have to say i was enthralled, and, when playing it I was reading reviews and found out, as I though, that it tells a story.
The story is, from what I gather, about a man troubled by dreams. He goes to a Hypnotherapist who regresses him into a past life.....It turns out that he is a Murdered Woman and the story goes on through there, including love, sacrifice and murder...EPIC.
I absolutely love the song 'Through Her Eyes - Scene Five' really sets the feel for the album.
The album is an absolute steal and you won't regret it, I didn't.
Once you realise there's a story being told, I think it enhances the album massively.
I fully recommend this album....ENJOY!!
on 18 May 2017
Excellent album, my favourite album of DT. I love the tracks Fatal tragedy, Through her eyes, Home and Finally free. Whole album is a gem. Delivery wasn't that fast compares to other seller. The CD was spotless, brand new. Could have been receive it earlier but overall I'm to get this album.
on 21 May 2017
An absolute must for any prog / prog metal fan. My son introduced this to me in 2004 when I had never even heard of DT. Now in 2017 it's still in my top 5.
on 17 April 2017
interesting
on 14 May 2017
What a wonderful cd!
on 2 September 2017
Great album
on 1 April 2001
There are two or three good tracks on this rock opera/concept album, but its far from the best progressive rock album ever made. The lyrics are in general appalling, with Through Her Eyes standing out as a particularly low spot. Fortunately the music is generally good and occasionally excellent ('Home' is one of the best tracks). Petrucci (guitars) and Portnoy (percussion) provide the musical lead. Petrucci is a fine guitarist, but knows it and insists on filling many tracks with Steve Vai style overplaying. Portnoy, as befits a drummer is more steady, though prone to Lars Ulrich like interludes where hitting the drums as hard and fast as possible becomes the point rather than serving the song. There isn't much room left for the other players and hampered as he is by such lacklustre lyrics, Labrie (the vocalist) doesn't really stand a chance. His voice is ok in a bog standard American rock singer type of way, but to get away with this sort of material you need a Peter Gabriel or Jon Anderson who'll bring a bit of character to the piece. And that's where it all falls down for me. Technically they play well, but there's no heart or soul to the music and ultimately it feels empty.
on 27 April 2017
They say an animal is most dangerous when backed into a corner, and that could not be any more evident than Dream Theater recording their magnum opus, 'Scenes from a Memory'.

With record label pressure and the business side of the music industry taking its toll on the band (and most specifically on drummer Mike Portnoy) during the release and touring of previous album 'Falling Into Infinity', it was now a time to go hard or go home. Dream Theater wanted to be left alone to write their own music, that would appeal to their own fan base, without the interjection of any record label executives who didn't understand the band, their fans, or their genre of music. It was do-or-die as the band stood on the brink of self-implosion, but they stood tall and delivered an album that is highly regarded as not only their finest work, but one of the greatest albums progressive metal has to offer.

Based around the story of a man who is a reincarnation of a girl who was murdered, and how he revisits his past life in his dreams (or something like that!), the concept is highly ambitious and complex, especially with all the different characters being voiced by James LaBrie. But it doesn't detract from the quality of the music, and with the usual awe-inspiring prowess you'd come to expect from progressive metals most famous band, this is an album where the band fire on all cylinders.

'Home', 'Fatal Tragedy', 'One Last Time' and 'Strange Déjà Vu' are some of many highlights on this album, although it's hard to pick just a few, as the album from start to finish is one giant highlight reel. And of course, the absolute peak of Dream Theater's technical ability, instrumental track 'The Dance of Eternity', will encourage listeners to throw away whatever instruments they're learning as they slowly realize how they'll never be this good.

A record that belongs in any metal or prog collection, 'Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory' started the upward momentum that truly put Dream Theater's careers and lives in their own hands, and has endured as one of the greatest concept albums of all time.
on 15 May 2006
Well, when I first heard this album, I, with a heavy heart, resorted to borrowing it off of my friend. I don't regret that decision, but I wish I had managed to purchase it.

Anyway, the first song I heard, "The Dance Of Eternity" sounds, to me at least, a two fingered salute to the rest of the music community.

"You have your music, but we do it *so* much better than you."

Including a personal favourite of mine, a rag time section, followed quickly by, quite honestly, one of my favourite speed metal sections on my computer.

Including, as well, a quick reversed section from Metropolis. (Again, they seem to be making a parody of themselves later with an even *faster* bass part.)

Another song which I heard before I fanally managed to piece together the album, "Strange Deja Vu" was one of the first Dream Theater tracks which focused on vocals (I hadn't heard any other concept album tracks bar "The Test That Stumped Them All" on Six Degrees, which I felt was more about including instrumental points at periods of high emotion) which really surprised me, but again, they didn't disappoint.

The opening to "Strange Deja Vu" is quite a rushed affair, with none of the Dream Theater trademark beating around the bush before really getting into it. But still, all the work that has gone into this song has really payed off, with it even nearly reminding me of another song, but never being able to quite put my finger on it.

The song is almost unremarkable in itself, but put into context with the album really brings it to life after the opening couple of songs.

The next song, Fatal Tragedy, is another Dream Theater instrumental extraveganza, with teh opening piano and vocals giving way to a crash, and then continuing with the song.

The story is almost fully explained within this part, almost really beginning the album.

James LaBrie does not disappoint with vocals on this, proving his almost *excessive* range. My favourtie part of the song is almost the lull in the storm with "Without hope..."

Unfortunately, I found the rest of the song past the vocals, towards the solos, to be quite distracting, and I had to keep checking back to see if I was still listening to the same song, or even album! It really did take some getting used to having to be patient, and, as I now hate iTunes, I tend to leave it when it is playing something. This is not an album you can lean back to and listen. To get the full experience, play freecell and it really brings out the real album, a busy, fast paced, frantic affair of a murder and a troubled soul.

Okay, that aside (it really does sum upt he rest of the album)

Until you reach "Finally Free", that is.

A quite happy, almost celebratory beginning quickly gives way to a haunting and harrowing tune, as teh truth is finally revealed. The first time I heard this, it was three in teh morning. I'd just watched Battle Royale for teh first time. That's not an experience I want to repeat, believe me on that.

Apparently, the story takes an even more sinister twist. I'm not going to spoil it, but anyway...

"This feeling, inside me
Finally found my love, I'm finally free"
could be interpreted as a happy moment, but trust me on this, by the album. It's great. Aside from theonstant need for something to do.
on 14 October 2008
Up to this point, Dream Theater have somewhat been known as "One hit wonders". Their only siginficant song, "Pull Me Under" has brought them to the attention of many people, but as yet they have not been able to produce an album worthy of such attention.

This, however, changes everything.

"Scenes from a Memory" is by far their best album, and i will go so far as to day it is one of the definitive albums of modern Prog Metal/Rock.

No song is out of place. Each song spills into the next with such grace you're left breathless and wondering how, if possible, it could get any better.

The album deals with a man called Nicholas who keeps having the same recurring dream - he sees a strange girl in a mirror on an old house. Throughout the album this dream is explored and you discover the true story behind his dream.

Now, you would expect that an album with a story to it would be underdeveloped, with the band focussing more on music than having something for the fans to remember story wise. However, Dream Theater do not do this. The story, although not worthy of a Booker Prize, does compliment the music on the album very well.

Two songs deserve special mention for their inclusion on the album. The first one is the seventh song, called "Home". It comes directly after a soft, meliodic song that fades out with LaBrie's vocals. The song then starts off with John Petrucci playing what could be described as "Indian like". The song then becomes classic heavy Dream Theater - excellant musicians working in harmony. The lyrics are also well developed - talking about drug addiction of a man and his attempts to win a girl into his life.

The second song is "The Spirit Carries On". I won't spoil it for you - simply put, it's the song i want to be played at my funeral and Petrucci's solo in the middle part of the song it to jaw dropping proportions.

Overall - Dream Theater have produced a masterpiece of an album that will be talked about for years to come. Make no mistake, this is truely awesome.