on 1 November 2009
This is a wonderful collection of the faithful war songs that everyone knows even the young have heard of some!! 5cds in the collection worth every penny we loved ours and have ordered others for friends that have heard them. Buy it don't think about it great listening wonderful present that is where one is going.
on 19 November 2009
I was given this collection as a present and am very impressed. There is an excellent selection of songs from the war years from both sides of the Atlantic. Along with all the best remembered songs are some half forgotten gems that really did deserve an airing again. The set looks great and the sound quality is excellent considering most of these tracks are 70 years old. Excellent value too. Highly recommended.
101 songs over 5 CDs, a good selection, nicely recorded and packaged in a cardboard sleeve. There are plenty of well-known songs and some, lesser known ones such as "Mr. Wu's an air raid warden" that probably wouldn't be acceptable now!
My mother is nearly 93 and suffers from dementia, sadly she doesn't know who I am and conversation is limited and difficult, like many others in the same situation I find it quite distressing. I bought this set because I read that dementia sufferers still have an enjoyment of music; some of the songs she didn't know but some she clearly did; when it came to Judy Garland singing "Over the Rainbow" she brightened up and began to sing along with the chorus, something we could share together, a very emotional experience.
Overall a good selection of songs, nicely put together.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 October 2010
At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, this is something of a hybrid compilation. The task of identifying those tracks that have clear associations with the period 1939-45 is difficult because recording dates have not been included, but my best guesstimate is around forty, and that's not for lack of availability. Just to take one example, George Formby recorded seventeen songs which reflected the reality of war, yet the five Formby songs here include "When I'm Cleaning Windows" and "Leaning on a Lamp Post". Al Bowlly died in April 1941, but recorded three war-themed songs, none of which have made the cut. I could go on, but you get the picture. Having said which, I still rate it very highly because despite the divergence from the theme it still represents extraordinarily good value for money.
on 4 December 2009
It was an insight into what people were listening to at the time I gave it as a present to my parents and they enjoy listening to it and singing along to the songs well worth the money.
on 10 January 2011
This is a superb collection of music. 5 CDs of music at great value. I bought this for my nan but was actually amazed how many of the tracks I knew myself somehow, and I wasn't born until 1985!
on 10 January 2010
i purchased this as christmas gift for my dad, i was delighted as the price was so reasonable, he was delighted at the quality and quantity of the music so an all round good buy.
on 30 December 2011
I bought this for my Nan for Christmas and she loves it. She even remembers some of the lyrics and is able to sing along. I would recommend this CD for the over 80s.
on 15 June 2014
Growing up I remember my mum singing a lot of the war songs, and old pub songs. Now my mother is in a care home and bed ridden with not much mental capability. I bought this and another CD for her to bring back happy memories of times past. She's unable to communicate, but she I know she loves it!
on 27 June 2014
Too much George Formby and gung-ho Yanks for my taste, but still a very good selection of wartime hits. Interesting, though, that we can play songs about destroying Berlin without anyone getting uptight about it ...