Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

VINE VOICEon 4 December 2009
In April 2009, Iceland's neo-classical export Ólafur Arnalds created the 7-song series `Found Songs' - recording a song a day for 7 days and instantly making each track available via Twitter.
Not being a twitterer myself , if that is the correct collective noun, I instead opted to wait for the inevitable CD compilation of these tracks and so here they are. Found Songs is predominantly built round very traditional instruments, shaping music for piano and chamber strings and then adding an array of electronic elements that have been toned down from previous releases.
Each track is based on a theme invoking the concept of lost and found, musical sketches , that flick and traipse elegantly through the atmosphere and landscape of a world of structured ethereality if that's not an oxymoron. It's a short set, a little over twenty minutes, but what Arnalds brings forth is an impressive amount of emotion in little time and space.
"Erlas Waltz " just features extremely tasteful Eric Satie style piano whereas the next track the utterly sublime "Raein" utilises some of the most weep inducing strings since Ennio Morricone."Allt vard hlijott" forgoes the piano totally for more lamenting strings and curious echoing ambient noises like someone tickling glass. "Faun " could accompany any extremely moving scene from a film or TV drama, though this music would in all likelihood be the most moving thing about it , and while "Ljosid " has pretty piano the strings once again bleed into the structure of the song inducing heartbreak.
There is nothing original about Found Songs and if I'm honest it will barely raise a sigh on the worlds consciousness which is a shame because for 20 or so minutes it bathes the world in the sort of fragile beauty and splendour it really does not have enough of.
on 7 June 2014
This is the third cd of Olafur Arnalds that I've bought and it so lovely. I listen to it in the car going to and from work and by the time I get to work and then home I am so chilled . Highly recommend
on 5 April 2010
The briefs songs and beatufil artwork of the album are the first impression, the second one is simply nature. I live in a city and I miss sometimes the woods, the land, the bushes and the gardens, it's a spiritual reconciliation with nature listening to it. Maybe it's a bit short, but, something beautiful, like that moment of the first kiss, of that one when you wake away and see the early morning hours lights... It's just magic.
on 15 November 2011
I listen to this music while I'm working and it's so peaceful and relaxing. Very beautiful music. I would definitely recommend this album
on 11 November 2014
I'm still trying to get my head around his music and I don't really find enough in there to capture my attention.
on 6 June 2013
I like nearly eveything olafur writes and performs - an acquired taste - soulful - from the heart - olafur and his team are not brilliant musicians technically speaking but that is the charm and appeal
on 18 August 2015
almost as good as Living Room songs. The 10" vinyl i alos beautiful. I would recommend fully.
on 20 November 2014
Absolutely sublime. It penetrates my soul.