VINE VOICEon 2 March 2018
I've been buying Hoya filters for my lenses since 1999 and never been let down. I use the filters to protect my lens rather than filter out UV rays. Hoya's filter is excellent value compared with some of the other brands. I thought about spending twice as much on Gobe UV 43mm SCHOTT 16-Layer Multi-Resistant Coated Ultra Violet Filter, but decided against as the difference comes down to glass (German versus Japanese) and coatings (UV versus UV+hydrophobic and anti-scratch). In my experience, Japanese glass is as good as German and the extra coatings aren't that important my camera isn't weather-sealed so I don't use it in the rain anyway. The price of the Hoya means it's cheap enough to replace if I need to and I've yet to have a filter break or fail on me, so I don't expect to have to replace it anyway.

The only criticism I have of the Hoya is that I wish they were all slim designs as standard. However, as this one is going on a standard prime lens, it's not going to cause vignetting as there's no wide angle.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2016
I find UV filters indispensable whenever I buy a new lens or camera. This is to fit my Fuji bridge camera, with the filter screwing perfectly into the thread, with no jar or wobble once fitted. The quality of the glass is excellent, as you'd expect for Hoya and the coating is absolute and perfectly applied, with a slightly green/purple sheen. It is obviously not scratch resistant, but it still does repel light abrasions and as well s acting as a first line of defence to your lens prevents glare and bright castes from dulling your photos.
on 1 May 2017
Great UV filter. I use these to protect the end of the lenses for my canon dslr. They screw in really securely and feel very well made. The lens caps still fit securely in place once this is attached in place also. Brilliant product.
on 3 December 2015
Having finally made the decision to commit to purchasing my first camera, I was encouraged to purchase one of these by a rather earnest Currys PC World employee who attempted to upsell every camera related item possible. He assured me that this filter would protect my expensive lens from damage and given the costs of replacing a lens, I was keen to get the necessary protection. Of course I ran a quick price check and saw that it was a lot more pricier instore so I opted for Amazon. I can't add more to the existing reviews here- the product arrived very quickly and it was very straight forward to screw it into my camera (Nikkon D33000 18-55mm lens) and does not obstruct the lens at all. I used a quick wipe to remove any dust and popped it onto my lens. Great value and hopefully protects my lens!
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2018
Very good filter. I was worried it would reduce the quality of my photos. I have compared Photos with and without the filter and have seen it does not affect quality. I have not used it outdoors yet in bright light as it has been very gloomy and overcast. I am hoping it will help with Flare and Reflections in bright light.
on 30 April 2014
I bought a 'nifty fifty' canon lens and these items fit is just nicely, not all items arrived at the same time, the hoya lens took a long time to arrive, think it came from Germany, since putting this on my camera & with the lens hood & lens cap I do have to be more vigilant as the camera lens cap tends to just 'pop' off.

The hoya lens is a good lens and does a very good job of protecting my main camera lens. I'm fairly new to Canon and photography at this level, I would forsake the lens hood in favour of this lens cap.

I've heard all good things about 'hoya' but as a novice I'm still finding my feet on this product. Whilst I believe I have the best product I'm happy to keep using it.
on 7 December 2016
I use this filter to protect my Olympus pro 40 - 150 f2.8 zoom lens. It was really easy to fit, has no effect whatsoever on image quality, and looks really smart and slim.

It's comforting to know that I have protected my expensive lens against minor nocks and abrasions.
on 6 September 2017
Fit smoothly onto my Nikon lenses! I mainly use them to protect the front of my lenses, lens hoods provide protection too, but filters are small and simple that fts my needs. I don't see any difference in image quality when using it so it's a great little piece of equipemnt. I did read online that they can stain quite easily and I forgot about this and accidently put my finger on the filter glass, not there's a little fingerprint that's really hard to clean off unless I thoroughly clean it properly, this is just a warning: try to avoid touching the glass with anything!
on 26 February 2013
As with other reviewers, I have been convinced to use simple UV filters as protection for my lenses. I have a 52mm and 58mm, both the UV(C) type.

This has a slim metal bezel, and hard multi-coated glass, and is well manufactured. It fits nicely on my 50mm lens, and offers a degree of dust and dirt protection, without noticeably affecting the quality of my images. Lots of commentary on the web as to why the UV aspect is probably redundant (UV light doesn't have the same effect on digital sensors as it does on film), but I find the filter works as a lens protector when out and about so I don't need my lens cap all the time and am ready to capture the moment.

It is a personal choice as to whether to use a UV filter, some may argue that you're introducing an extra piece of glass between the sensor and what you're imaging, and that if it was really that helpful it would have been built into the lens in the first place.
on 2 October 2015
First rule when buying a new photographic lens: buy a suitable UV filter.
This is not because UV light is hazardous or that it adversely affects image quality - a filter is simply an extra layer of glass between the precision optics of your lens and the outside world. Should dust, grit, moisture salt spray or scratches damage a filter, it can be replaced easily and cheaply whereas lens repairs can be ruinously expensive.
Your lovely new lens deserves this simple precaution.
You know it makes sense.