on 8 February 2012
Moving your external flash off the camera gives a more natural and desirable lighting effect. In order to do this though, you need a means to connect the flash to the camera hot shoe and that is what this cable does.

At 3m long, it is sufficient for most purposes, added to which, the cord retains the ETTL function of the flashgun. The attachment to the hot shoe has a knurled ring to allow it to be tightened securely. It also has a mount on top for a flashgun although this is not ETTL. The attachment for the flashgun has both a threaded hole to fit onto a tripod or light stand and a cold shoe to fit onto an umbrella mount.

The drawback with this product is that you will have a cable between the camera and the flashgun with all the potential for problems that creates. If you want to avoid these issues or need to move your flash further away then wireless triggers what you need. With most wireless triggers you will have to adjust your exposures manually.
on 17 November 2012
This seems a well-made product. It certainly gives you plenty of cable to work with and does allow you to retain full functionality of your speedlight.

Only two minor criticisms. The end that goes on your camera hotshot has stiff pins and takes a little force to slide on. I felt a little uncomfortable about using too much pressure in case I damaged any of the contacts. Having said that perhaps the pins will move more easily after more use. At the other end I found that if you don't really tighten the contact between the cable and the speedlight itself it does not work. At first I thought my cord was defective. When I tightened the connector though it worked perfectly every time.
on 8 July 2010
For such a cheap product you can't have huge expectations, but it turns out that this cable is quite reasonable and it does the job just fine. Having TTL is a useful feature, but it is a constraint to have it on a wire (even if it is 3 metres long).

I would reccomend it if you need something cheap for amateur usage (basic studio lighting, etc) but if you need much more from it then go and get some expert wireless equipment... It means a whole lot less bulk of wire to carry out, far greater range, and more flashes to be able to use.

4/5 for doing the job as I had expected.

I bought this with a flash/umbrella mount (on a slide rail) and I had to buy Camera Flash Hot Shoe Mount 1/4" Tripod Screw Adapter for wireless flash trigger & Flash Stand to get the flash cord to stay on the umbrella mount. This is not a fault of this piece of equipment, but if you raise the game and go for better quality in the first place then this probably wouldn't be an issue at all.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2013
It works, and it works well. I was puzzled at first when i realized that it did not fire the flash, or it did fire but at the wrong time...
Then i found the solution. FIRST mount it on the extreme flash shoe THEN open the flash THEN mount it on the hot shoe of the camera and FINALLY open the camera.
If you do not follow these steps communication between flash off.camera and camera is a mess.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2011
I received the flash cord yesterday and tested it last night with my Canon EOS 550D camera. All the functions in the external flash menu on the camera work perfectly and the hot shoe mount on the cord also has a 1/4 in screw mount, so the flash can be mounted on a tripod when of camera and using this cord. This is a real bonus that I was not aware of when I bought the item! I am extremely happy with my purchase and recommended it to anyone with the EOS 550D.
6 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2013
If your reading this then you know by now it's time to get your speed-lite off of the top of your camera.... and this product is a great way to start. After reading the reviews and checking various other similar products i decided to go with this one (mainly for the 3m cord length).
As soon as it arrived i was eager to give it a try.

so as soon as i opened the box i mounted it to my 5d mark ii and then to my 430exii flash gun and fired away.... Nothing!!

I tried every setting in the hope that it would come to life, but after a very frustrating half hour of adjusting setting i soon realized it was a dud. Much to the disappointment of my Bar flair friend who was awaiting some shots.

So back it went, But hats off to Amazon a replacement came 2 days later and this one worked a beaut!! i set up some scenes at home in my living room using my girlfriend as the subject, placing the flash gun in various locations (on top of shelves, above her, below her, to the side, inside lamps etc) and the shots were priceless some really great shadow effects.

In my opinion this is a really great product for setting up scenes were you need some different light styles, and for creating interesting shadows across the face,body etc as well as scenes that involve props. im really looking forward to testing this out at a wedding i have at the end of the month were the bride and groom have hired a Porsche for a couple of days and want some posing scenes done at night.

On a final note im guessing some of you are deciding between this and the spring cord alternative. although this one has a 3m non spring cord it could easily be wound up to be uses in just the same fashion {just need an elastic band).

I gave this item 5 star, irrelevant of the fact that the first one was a dud because the item and replacement were delivered quickly and without fuss. great accessory, creative, easy, small price.
on 9 January 2010
The item is designed for Olympus eTTL cameras but I use a Panasonic G1 camera and it works just fine with this, as I expected.
I am using it with a Metz 36AF-4 flashgun the carton of which specifically says it works with both Panasonic and Olympus Four-Thirds cameras.
The cable is as described by Lastolight and it works just fine, controlling the flash output by TTL.
It's not clear in the image but the extension shoe has a tilting shoe mount & clamp to fit an extension bracket (or maybe an umbrella too). I haven't tried this yet but it looks fine. Maybe I'll buy an umbrella next!
The extension shoe has a pin-hole to match the flashgun locking device - good!
The advantage is that the cord is nice and long at 3 metres, so you can position the flash a good way from the camera if you need to. The disadvantage is that it is not coiled, which would be more suitable for hand-holding the flash. However a long coiled lead would be a distinct disadvantage whereas the extra cable is easily dealt with by an elastic band for hand-held flash work.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 October 2012
Unfortunately I did not experiment with this enough when I got it and only later when I have been unable to return it did i found out what a piece of junk it actually is. There is no ettl functionality at all and sometimes it just does not even fire the flash. Don't bother with it. The only way i have actually got it to work is with manual flash using a hand held flash meter which somewhat undermines why I got it in the first place. I would have expected much more for the price I paid.
on 16 January 2015
Cheap piece of plastic trash - can't believe its made by Lastolite who are usually a good brand. The first time I put it on the flash it got stuck and will not budge. I've tried taking it apart screw by screw but the plate is wedged tight. I'm going to have to take it to a camera repair shop to get it removed, which will not doubt cost me £100's...
on 15 November 2013
I already had a coiled-type off camera lead but this was not long enough and tended to topple the stand if extended. This is exactly what I needed! I looked througha lot of similar products costing around £60 plus so I was a little sceptical that this would really fit the bill. It's a quality product for a very reasonable price. Something we don't come across very often. Brilliant! I am a happy little snapper.