Top positive review
So useful but sometimes leaks when horizontal
8 November 2018
This was one of the baby products that I was initially unsure about buying. I didn't know whether it would be worth it and if I would actually use it much, but I use it all the time and it's been so useful so I'm glad I bought it.
How it works:
It's simple but effective. It's essentially just a flask, but the flask has a plastic container which screws over the top of it. So you fill the flask with boiling water, push the button to close the flask and stop the water from leaking, and screw the plastic container over the top. When you're ready to heat a bottle, you unscrew the plastic container and turn it upside down. Push the button on the flask to open a gap in it to pour from, and pour the hot water into the plastic container. Pop the bottle in the plastic container of hot water and it's warm in a few minutes.
- The flask keeps water really hot for hours
- Quick and easy feeds on the go. I take sterilised feeding bottles and bottles of ready-to-feed liquid formula out and about, but my baby likes his milk warm, so I decant it into the feeding bottle and then use this travel bottle warmer to heat it up. Before I bought this I was simply asking in restaurants/cafes etc for a jug of hot water to heat the bottle - which most were happy to give, but having this meant that I had the hot water ready to go and could just get it out of my bag without queueing/finding someone to ask and waiting for them to heat the water and bring it out, so my baby gets his feed quicker when he's hungry.
- The plastic container that you put the bottle in with the hot water to heat seems to heat the bottle really quickly - I also use it at home for night feeds now as it's quick and easy (I was boiling a kettle and using a pyrex jug of boiled water to hear bottles before and this warmer is so much faster)
- It's convenient and space saving in the changing bag that the plastic container fits over the flask itself, and the fact that it screws onto the flask helps stop any last drips of water that are left in the plastic container after emptying from escaping
- The little sticker on the side of the flask that reminds you that when the button is pushed down, the flask is closed and when the button is pushed up, the flask is ready to pour - I keep forgetting which way round it is! So this is useful.
- The plastic container would fit all brands of bottle. I use it with Dr Brown's bottles.
- Unfortunately, as other reviewers have found, it sometimes leaks when it tips over in the changing bag, and it's hard to keep upright all of the time. I've had leaking all over bibs, muslins and spare clothes and nappies in the changing bag, which isn't ideal. I try to keep it wedged upright now.
- The flask can't be washed in the dishwasher, according to the instructions. I put the plastic container through the dishwasher regularly and it's been fine, but haven't tried the flask itself as the instructions say that it's not suitable, and to wash it every so often by hand with warm, soapy water. It would save time if it was dishwasher proof, but then I don't wash it after every single use as it only ever holds boiling water for heating bottles.