Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(2 star). See all 76 reviews
on 28 October 2009
I have recently bought the new Prefab Sprout CD Let's change the music. Having been a big fan I was expecting the album to be like their 80's music. I was very disappointed with this new offering. Apart from a few tracks,I think Paddy must have found God as every song has some memtion of religon. It will not get played as often as I would have like.
on 7 October 2009
I loved 'Jordan the Come Back', and this album was billed as the forgotten sequel, but its not really in the same league. It has some of the same riffs and tones as 'Jordan', but Paddy McAloon seems to be on his own here. Where is the great production and supporting voices I expect from Prefab Sprout?

I also found the religious theme of many of the songs irritating. Is Paddy being ironic?
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2012
I'm a big fan of the Sprout and Paddy (up until he became all too happy twinkly later on...), but this album on first/2nd/3rd listen is a real disappointment. I was excited by the prospect of hearing these songs as Jordan was a great (if maybe not their best) album.

For me, the problem is - as the BBC review says - the Dolby/band process is missing and with Prefab Sprout, the production/arrangement means a LOT. Thomas Dolby was at his best producing PS; listening to them on headphones is a real audio pleasure.

WARNING FOR DRUMMERS/MUSICIANS:.. The programmed drums are absolutely terrible: dumb, juvenile, cheesy, .. just awful. As a drummer, personally I can't take the music seriously after hearing that. The pianos aren't much better, and the lack of female backing vox is a shame too.

I am going to try and focus on the lyrical content... but I wish either; he'd done all the songs on an acoustic, or got me ;) to record the drum tracks.
on 26 November 2009
Prefab Sprout were masters of dreamy, euphoric pop that could always be relied upon to give you a sugar high. This is still great music but the god-bothering, happy-clappy religious nonsense in the lyrics are just a downer and I would rather not have it. A sad demise for one of the Geordie Nation's finest song-writing talents? Not really. Despite the religious claptrap, this is still wonderful, uplifting and dare I say it, just really great music. God bless my doubting-Thomas, Marxist soul! :-)
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse