Just completed my new build with a 965 BE C3 at the heart and what a phenomenal beast it is! Upgraded from an Athlon 4600 and the difference is insane. Handles everything I throw at it and tasks such as video conversion etc are just a breeze. The stock cooler that comes with the retail kit is a tad loud at full tilt but not a major issue. This cpu would benefit form some Arctic Silver (5) paste and a non-stock cooler. Overclocking it is also a doddle and you can get 3.9ghz easy cooling the thing on air!

Update: I have now fitted a themrolab BARAM heatsink and the temps and noise have just dissappeared! Dropped mine to an idle temp of 28c and a full load temp of 45c. In fact the cooler Is soo good I know it could also cool passively! It is quite tall though so best to make sure it can fit your case! Worth changing the stock cooler I found in the end but don't get me wrong, the stock cooler does an ok job.

This chip continues to rip through most tasks, and for gaming is spot on! Plays everything exceptionally well. Very happy with this chip and it should see me for a while now, especially as the black edition has the unlocked multiplyer for easier overclocking if that your thing.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2010
Excellent Processor, although currently not the top of the range in CPU's it will make any system fly, best used with DDR3 and a high end motherboard to get the best performance.
on 23 August 2010
I got this one to replace my old 9850 2.51GHz Phenom and the difference is incredible. Despite the fan noise complaints I did not find it that loud at all. I've been running BFBC2 on max and have not had any crashes. My old Phenom would often overheat and give me a blue screen of death. You should also keep in mind that AM3 socket processors are compatible with AM2 motherboards but you can't use AM2 processors in AM3 motherboards. So you might not even need a new motherboard if you are upgrading.
on 9 July 2014
ABSOLUTLY AWSOME... no I mean it, honestly! im a noob when it comes to stuff like this but with the help of a great friend, we found this chip to put towards my overall upgrade of my pc and well, WOW! I love it. I can play my favourite games so much more better now and its helping too. Seriously, its helping as I am disabled and unfortunately have difficulty out the home so I am grateful for the (pc) chip as I have to stay home a little more than usual.
Well, I would buy from the seller again and again as the item came before time, boxed and packaged in a great manner and was secure too. So, seller is great and for me, ive had no issues with the chip and, personally its a blessing. have fun. J.
on 22 January 2010
Really fast CPU handles everything you throw at it not managed to get anywhere near 100% CPU load yet. 7.5 / 7.9 windows 7 rating (not overclocked). Stock cooler is a bit loud would recommend ordering an after market one if you are ordering this CPU.
on 1 March 2014
System Config:
> CPU- Phenom ii x4 965 BE @4GHz
> Cooler- Corsair H80 water cooler(i use quad fans meaning 2pull n 2 push)
> Mobo- Asrock 970 Mobo
> RAM- 8GB @1866 MHz
> GPU- GTX 660Ti
> PSU- 650W 80+ Bronze powercool

Own it for 2yrs now and have no problem. It the best so far for me and is still serving me well. BF3, BF4, Planetside 2, FarCry3, AC BlackFalg, Crysis2 &3, SimCity and many more in High settings and 50+FPS. Overcloking is the best thing that makes performance like a beast. OverClocking is easy just by downloading AMDoverdrive or AMD Catalyst Manager, these software will automatically OC ur CPU with no faults caused and within safe parameter to protect ur system. Bare in mind if you overclock USE 1600MHz + memory and the best of aircooling to your CPU and the system.
on 14 November 2012
This processor was very easy to install, just took around 5 minutes and has made a big difference to the speed of my computer. Very please with product.
on 26 December 2010
Great, no problems, staying at a good 38c with stock heatsink.
Slightly noisy, but a decent water cooler should fix that...
on 22 January 2016
This product was probably good for it's year but it has become incredibly obsolete. It gives off 140W worth of heat which if you don't know, is a huge amount and requires a high end CPU cooler to keep at adequate temperatures. Even purchasing this product somewhere for £30 is a curse, because you're looking at buying a £50+ CPU cooler. If you're looking for a cheap but powerful CPU similar to this one (but way more efficient) I recommend purchasing an AMD FX4300 Black Edition 4 Core instead.
on 13 September 2014
Using this as this is being sent not used it to it full capacity yet but still fly's