Format: DVD|Change

on 22 March 2013
Watched this on the TV first time around and seem to always be catching up with odd episodes on the Sky rerun channels. So we decided to buy it and watch it all the way through again. It's going with us in the caravan and will be a treat for those nasty evenings when we can't be out.
Can't fault any of the cast; all chosen brilliantly.
on 12 February 2012
Having heard so much about Gavin and Stacey and not having seen it on TV, I was bought the full box set including the Christmas special as a birthday gift and now having watched it I have fallen in love with all the fantastic characters - Gavin and Stacey, Gavin's Mum and Dad, Stacey's Uncle Bryn and not forgetting Nessa and Smithy.

The whole series is 'lush'. I have laughed and cried and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Quite the best comedy series I have watched, enjoyed and completely immersed myself in for some time. This series is a must, must buy!!!
on 10 December 2013
Like many other buyers I too missed the series when it was on TV and just saw the odd episode here and there. I decided to buy the full set and it is very funny and quite true to real life in many respects.
on 30 December 2012
I hadn't watched Gavin and Stacey before this Christmas. I watched the 2008 Christmas special on BBC Three and couldn't stop laughing. It was so funny! So I decided to spend some of my Christmas money and this seemed like a brilliant buy. It's cheap and it's funny. For anyone who's seen it before, buy this box set because it's got some very funny extras as well as the series. And for people like me, who haven't seen it before, buy it because it's just hillarious. I garuntee you'll be laughing. Hope you enjoy it if you buy it. I certainly do. Happy viewing!!
on 1 November 2015
How I LOVE this show! Such a shame it finished after three series', but, at the same time, it finished while it was still brilliant and had reached a natural conclusion.Pure television gold, it's no overstatement to declare 'Gavin And Stacey' one of Britain's most well-written and most-loved sitcoms of all time.
Gavin (Mathew Horne) is an ordinary lad from Billerciay in Essex, and Stacey (Joanna Page) an ordinary (though giddy) girl from Barry Island in the Valley of Glamorgan, Wales. The two have been speaking to each other every day at work. At the beginning of the series Gavin lives with his parents, his over-protective mum Pam (Alison Steadman) and the mild-mannered Mick (Larry Lamb), and spends most of his recreational time with his best friend Smithy (James Corden). Stacey lives with her kind, caring and widowed mother, Gwen (Melanie Waters), They are frequently visited by her eccentric but well-meaning Bryn (Rob Brydon), who lives just across the road from them, and her best friend Nessa (Ruth Jones).

Series One, originally aired on the digital channel BBC Three and immediately greeted with a warm, positive reception from critics, focuses on the steady build-up of the romance between Gavin and Stacey. In the first episode, after months of chatting and flirting with each other on the phone Gavin and Stacey finally meet. They make it a double date with Gavin's best friend Smithy and Stacey's best friend Nessa in tow. While Gavin and Stacey immediately hit off face to face, there is a degree of hostility and awkwardness between Smithy and Nessa. However, as the night progresses, and with several alcoholic beverages consumed, an attraction between Smithy and Nessa becomes apparent. The night ends with them all returning to their hotel room, and sleeping together. While Gavin and Stacey are clearly smitten with one another, the next day Smithy and Nessa are more than happy to forget their drunken one-night stand and make very little contact with one another afterwards.As the series continues, Gavin and Stacey announce their engagement, leading to their two respective families meeting one another and getting to know each other. However, there is trouble when it's announced they intend to marry in Barry Island, much to the horror of Gavin's mother, Pam. It later transpires that Stacey has been engaged no less than six times, which leaves a question mark hanging over their future. Along the way, Smithy and Nessa also have another drunken fling. In the last episode of Series One, Gavin and Stacey get married and Nessa discovers she's pregnant, the father being Smithy. In the last scene, Nessa tries to tell a somewhat irresponsive Smithy about the baby but changes her mind.
Series Two sees a change in dynamics: It begins with the newlyweds arriving home after a three week honeymoon in Greece. The in-laws all meet again at Pam and Mick's where Smithy discovers that Nessa is pregnant with his baby. Initially shocked, he promises her that he will be there for both her and the baby. Stacey finds herself severely homesick living with Gavin's parents and finds it hard to adjust, especially when finding it difficult to find paid work. To try and overcome this problem, they try to look for their own place to rent but Stacey is still unhappy and in the last episode in Series Two she takes off her wedding ring, much to the dismay of Gavin.This is soon interrupted by the news that Nessa has gone into labour unexpectedly and a month early. Nessa gives birth to a boy whom she names Neil and Gavin and Stacey also reunite.

The Christmas Special, broadcast in 2008, is great fun and an hour long. Stacey's family along with Nessa and her partner Dave Coaches (Steffan Rhodri) all pile into Pam and Mick's for Christmas. Gavin announces that he has found a job in Cardiff, leaving Pam and Smithy totally devastated though they soon learn to accept it, even if somewhat begrudgingly. Gavin admits he is moving to Barry Island with Stacey to save his marriage. Smithy is also upset when he feels Dave is trying to replace him as the father of baby Neil. He is further rattled when Dave proposes to Nessa on Christmas Day and she accepts.
Series Three and the final installment (although I still keep my fingers crossed for a one-off reunion special at some point, which the writers have said they don't rule out): In the first episode Gavin begins his new job in Wales and Pam, Mick and Smithy travel to Wales for the christening of baby Neil. In the following episode, after a drunken night at Pam and Mick's, Nessa wakes up to find Smithy in her bed! As this season draws on, Gavin and Stacey try for a baby but it's soon revealed that there Gavin has a low sperm count. However, there's happy news for the couple in the final episode. And will Nessa go through with the wedding? I shall not say a word just in case you've yet to watch this series. I will say, though, it does end on a touching note and a fitting finale, bringing the series full circle and a natural conclusion.

The writing by James Corden and Ruth Jones is just superb, complemented by immensely likeable performances from the entire cast, The thing I love about Gavin And Stacey is that they even those bickering among the characters, at heart they all love each other, giving the whole series a refreshing, uplifting, feel-good air without resulting to schmaltz. There are also effective, poignant moments of drama, and though the characters are all highly amusing in their own way they are also very believable characters. The dialogue rolls along fast, crackling with razor-sharp wit and some expertly-timed one-liners.
Mathew Horne and Joanna Page are perfect in their roles as Gavin and Stacey, though you could argue this is the Smithy and Nessa show. James Corden is great in his character, conveying a touchingly sensitive, kind nature to his otherwise occasionally bold and brash demeanour. Arguably, the funniest crown goes to Ruth Jones as the often blunt, straight-talking and very dry Nessa. She delivers some of the show's best one-liners, all played with a straight-face and delivered in such a dead-pan style that just makes you laugh out loud.

Of great value, too, is the magnificent and ever-great Alison Steadman as Gavin's loving mother, Pam. Pam is unwittingly comical and is still just a girl at heart. While her heart is always in the right place, she doesn't always go about things in the right way and can often be inadvertently blunt and a little scathing, though no intentional maliciousness is ever intended. Larry Lamb provides the perfect balance as her husband Mick and he and Pam still clearly enjoy a vital, sexually-active marriage.
Rob Brydon as the slightly dim-witted and extremely eccentric Bryn, shines in his role, never over-playing his hand and keeping the right balance needed to make his character both believable and likeable. There are hints that he is a closet homosexual throughout the entire series, although this is never confirmed. Melanie Waters is lovely as Stacey's mom, Gwen, often seen beavering away in the kitchen whipping up an omlette for her frequent visitors, while the next-door neighbour, Doris (Margaret John), is an elderly but lively and vivacious character who, like Pam, is still just a young girl at heart (she even offers herself to Gavin at one point). She gets to deliver some incredibly funny one-liners!

Other notable characters that drop sporadically in and out of the series are Pam and Mick's best friends Dawn (Julia West) and Pete (Adrian Scarborough), a constantly bickering (often in public) married couple. They make an excellent addition to the cast and have some brilliant scenes, not least when they decide to renew their wedding vows.
All in all, this is pure comedy gold and if you've yet to see this series, this is a MUST! This Blu-Ray contains the full collection with a host of special features which includes audio commentary for each episode (on the second series disc it includes in-view commentary of the cast) and a documentary on the making of the series. Great value for money and enthralling fun for fans of this beloved series. This is a series I can return to time and time again and no matter how many times I've seen it, it never fails to make me howl with laughter and I'm sure I speak for all fans when I say that. Classic TV GOLD!

Ian Phillips
on 15 January 2011
I somehow managed to miss the first two series of Gavin & Stacey on television but so enjoyed series three I decided to buy the full set. It's brilliant and was a huge hit in our household over Christmas when we wallowed in back to back episodes.
Gavin & Stacey fall in love when they meet after talking on the phone at work for months. Unfortunately she lives in Wales and he is in Essex which necessitates a great deal of travelling to and fro. They both have a wonderful, idiosyncratic collection of family and friends. Ness, played by Ruth Jones who co-wrote this wonderful series with James Corden who plays Smithy, was my favourite character - she's brilliant. The shows are laugh-out-loud funny but there are also lump-in-the-throat moments. The characters are all so engaging and seem so nice you want them to find their way to happiness.
Much as I'd love to see more, I think the writers have made the right decision to end where they did. This is a British comedy at its very best and we'll be watching these episodes again and again.
Reviewed by Mary Smith No More Mulberries
on 3 August 2013
Just so bloddy funny, it hurts. I especially love the kitchen table breakfast scene when Gav and Stace are upstairs. I double up with tears every single time. SERIOUSLY! (I think there's something wrong with me :)
on 30 May 2011
i didnt watch this when it was on telly first time around cos i hate having to watch what others are discussing - i feel i will bide my time - same as i did with `the wire `- so once the chat died down i bought the box set and we watched them back to backish - so funny the talent in the series is mental - my fav bit when they do the john barnes england song - and also i was very jealous cos i know my husband fancied NESSA he still keeps saying `O` and its been months since we watched it - BUY IT its the best series since porridge
on 21 September 2010
I can not believe I missed this on TV. Its fabulous! We watched the entire box set in a week and loved every minute. Not to be missed.
on 6 April 2010
I didn't watch the programme on TV, in fact I watch few TV shows, but I saw one brief scene with Nessa and Stacey a few weeks ago and thought the script was incredible. I ordered the boxed set while I was off sick with the 'flu and when I was feeling better watched all the DVDs one after another over a couple of days from the comfort of my sofa - when I had seen them all I watched the Extras.

I found it brilliant and love the characters of Smithy and Nessa more than Gavin and Stacey but the rest of the cast were all fabulous too.......so when I'd seen everything I went back to the beginning and watched them all again. Thank goodness for DVDs - now I can watch whenever I want to. Highly recommended and much as I'd like to see more of the adventures in Billericay and Barry Island I think James Cordern and Ruth Jones have been sensible to call a halt instead of writing series after series.