on 12 February 2010
Having purchased this item around 4 weeks ago, I have to say that I can't fault it, not to mention that it looks cool on my desk!

Attaching the device to my pc and installing the WD backup software was simple. Any time I create or amend a file on my pc it's automatically copied to the WD drive within seconds, there isn't any need to manually copy it there yourself, what could be easier (and safer) than downloading say a song in iTunes and having it appear on the WD drive....automatically!

The only downside I can see is if people want to backup all the files in a particular folder - unless the WD software recognises the file type (it works on the basis of 5/6 categories, e.g. docs, music, images) then the files won't get automatically backed up and you'll have to do it manually instead.

The WD backup software also lets you restore to the original location or to a folder you choose whilst the files on the drive can also be browsed like a normal hard drive.

Highly recommended!
on 26 March 2010
This WD Mybook is a great "idiot proof" backup system for people who know they need to save to an external hard drive but aren't technically savvy! I buy them because they come with a great software utility which sits in the start menu by the clock and has a very simple BACKUP button and a similar RESTORE button. (there is nothing else there to confuse you!) The WD looks at what is on your hard drive in docs/pics/music etc and makes a mirror image. It shows you in a bar diagram - and is as straight forward as it gets. Installation is simple - plug and play. Would recomend to all computer users but especially for people who are nervous or don't necessarily know how to do a manual backup.
on 18 February 2010
This hardrive is great! I got it to replace my old 80 GB hardrive witch I got for 8quid so can't complain really but needed more space to put all my media and software on. Looking around I found this, I am a fan on WD products, have an internal PC and upgraded my PS3 HDD to a WD so I think there products are great and reliable. NOTE: This is the 2009 model NOT 2008 model witch somebody below was reviewing
When I got it out of the box it was protected in the plastic film to protect it. When taken off, it looks really nice and modern, goes with my other electrical items. On the back you will find a power connecter, USB 2.0 connecter and a power on/off switch. On the front there are LED's. A nice little feature is that there is an indicator that tells you how full your hardrive is getting, 1 bar being the lowest and 4 bars meaning its getting full. Also has a padlock light to tell you if its password protected and an activity light.
The software is also lightweight and doesn't take up any system resources. NOTE: My windows 7 needed to install the software that came with it for it to fully install all drivers but not a problem; you get a notice telling you how to do this. On the software you can backup, protect and set options with your hardrive.
Transfer rate is pretty quick, what I expected coming formatted in NTFS.
The drive is very quiet, I can't hear it at all even when I put my ear up to it.

Only down side is it comes up with the smartware software autoplay window along with the normal autoplay window when you insert any removable device, so you get 2 windows popping up but I disabled this by going into the autoplay options and saying "take no action" on software and games.

To sum up, I am very happy with this drive and I will report back if anything goes wrong but I think it's unfair to give a product a bad review just because it's failed. Every device can fail.
So I defiantly recommend this device
Thanks
on 17 March 2010
Good bit of kit, this was the second one I have bought. The first one I purchased over a year ago and it is still working correctly.
on 1 May 2013
I use it all the time, it is my back up for my mac and runs my time machine perfectly
on 31 January 2010
If you are thinking of a wd external drive, please consider:
- unbelievably, the alleged wd warranty dates from DATE OF MANUFACTURE unless you send wd a copy of your purchase receipt,
- it's clear that wd cust serv can't be bothered to reply to complaints, alhtough they promise a response in 24hrs.

My drive was admittedly out of warranty but had been lightly used, just for backup purposes in the home environment. A couple of weeks ago it started clicking. I realised too late that this was actually a death rattle.

I've always found amazon brilliant but in this case, really uncharacteristically, they weren't so helpful.
on 19 August 2010
I bought this item on the strength of some very positive feedback with the intention of using it to store photos and music. It promptly failed and as a result i have lost the first 4 months of my daughters life in photo and mp4. It made me cry a little. Poor item - no fan and overheats.
on 22 July 2010
No doubt my fault in not reading the spec. carefully. Be warned - if you don't want to have the automatic backup slowing everything down to a crawl, and are just looking for extended data storage to free up your laptop, this is not the external drive for you.
on 19 September 2010
a very difficult item to set up for me. Admittedly I am no expert but for me it proved too difficult and it sits in the box on the floor. I have both macG5 and windows XP and neither could sort it out. nor could an expert from a company that specialises in setting up web pages. so no hope for me.
on 6 April 2010
i bought this looking for some where to save my pictures and documents ,but it slowed my computer down so much i couldnt use it, i installed it three times & took it out three times to make sure i had made no mistakes .
its supposed to work quietly in the background but it was not possible to use the computer so i sent it back for a full refund.(thankyou amazon)