on 6 January 2011
I have been a bit scathing about B&D products in the past - I usually buy German tools, however I bought this drill for my mother, over 65, as a Christmas present - it was what she asked for. She is very pleased with it and today I had my first 'go' with it, constructing furniture from a well-known Swedish manufacturere and hanging shelves in her house. I was impressed with the lightness of it, it's very well balanced in the hand. I was worried that it might not be man enough for the extremely hard plaster in her new house, but on the hammer setting it went through with ease. The chuck is very user-friendly and having two batteries was a real bonus. My only niggle, which is why it gets 4 stars and not 5 although it may be down to operator error ;), is that the torque seems a bit feeble. To drive a screw into a hole on speed '1' needed torque setting 16+, which seemed a bit much. Anything under 10 hardly drove a screw into the furniture we built, even with a pilot hole. With my German made drill I can whack anything into anything. Still, it could be my fault. Having said that, we are now considering buying one for our children - if you haven't got a cordless drill, this is a very good place to start and excellent value for the price.
on 1 December 2011
I bought this to replace a previous, very similar model where the batteries would no longer charge and the charger seemed to have packed in too. If I can give a tip on longevity, don't go many months without charging your batteries even when in storage, and put them back on charge as soon as the drill-driver starts to weaken during work, rather than run them down to the last drop.

Anyway, this one feels good on the wrists when held vertically and horizontally, so nicely balanced. One wonders at the lowest torque settings in terms of useability, but the high end is sufficient for anyone to screw it up! Two batteries are good as one charges while the other is in use, but my experience of e.g. large areas of wooden decking tells me that I'll be lucky to half charge a battery before the one in use runs out, but here it's a good time to switch tasks for a while or have lunch. I haven't tried the hammer action, but I'm not expecting much more than breeze block and easy brick; you'll need something tougher for hard and stony concrete, and this isn't why I bought this tool.

Probably the biggest irk for me on this device is that there's no indicator light during battery charge: apparently it's 3 hours for 80% and 6 hours for 100% charge, but you still feel a little in the dark. Compared to my last model's charger stand, the charger seems notably slower and a bit flimsy. It's simply a shoe that slips over the battery, with an ordinary looking adapter going into the wall socket and a bit of a thin cable between. So you'll need to look after it. But the good news is that the case will help; the contents rattle around inside due to the lack of padding (it is basic), but they are to some extent protected (and tidied away). There's a double ended driver bit supplied, which clips onto the drill-driver (the dark bar above the battery in the picture), but it has the tendency to drop off (I bet it will have during delivery to you), which means that using the clip risks loosing your bits (yes, oo eerr missus).

So, this drill-driver is a little unrefined in places, and obviously it's priced and designed for the home rather than the professional category. Taking the price into account, I think it's a pretty decent tool that if looked after should last well. It's a little flimsy in the points I mention, but it's very functional, and as a complete kit reasonably priced. Oh, it does ok in the looks department too. Got to be four stars for all that!
(will return if I have reason to ammend review!)

UPDATE:
Done some heavy-duty work, namely 6 mm screws 100 mm into fairly hard pressure treated wood; torque on max in screwdiver mode, on speed one, no problem. At the same time I was in drill mode to bore 10 mm holes around 150 mm through in wood; left most of my tools elsewhere, and started with what I had in a remote location with an 8 mm wood bit, then a 10 mm steel bit, and to get the length I was missing (rather than attempt to meet holes by drilling either side) resorted to a 2 ft long masonry bit! (as needs must): the torque isn't so high when drilling, and I had to do more ins and outs to clear the bored wood from the 8mm wood bit than I would expect with some other tools, otherwise the drill-driver would stall and get stuck, more so reaming out with the 10 mm steel. Strangely, I had less trouble than expected getting the masonry drill through the last couple of centimetres -- wide tip but narrower up the length created less drag.

So, great torque as a driver, can snag and stall when using larger drill bits (10 mm I think is large for this device), so care/technique required. The drain on the battery was considerable due to the exceptional load, and I got around 6 x 150 mm difficult holes using the wrong bits and 10 or so long screws out of a charge. It doesn't sound a lot, but there wre many minutes of very high load in there. The chuck did slip and occasionally unlock, but otherwise robust for the category -- not for professional use at this price, but a great all-rounder for domestic use. It's a well-built tool where it counts.
on 5 August 2012
After the recent drill died a death,I decided on a replacement
The hours spent thralling through the adverts were rewarded with this drill
On delivery the item was put onto charge ready for a heavy working day,next day the batteries were in for a hard time
The first job was to complete a 20 metre bar fence ,which the first battery completed with plenty to spare -screwing over 200 screws into timber posts.
Ok next jobs,drilling 30 holes into concrete ,brick to fix fit new shelves in garage ,and screw all the screws into the holes and wood ,well the first battery was struggling by hole 4 (it had done all the previous work) and it was time for battery two the take up the challenge.
Completed with plenty to spare to mix up some plaster ,and paint several hours later .
So to put it simply ,its bl@@dly great and well keeps up with my DIY,and since this event have been hard at work finishing a loft conversion were the drill just kept going.
Well done Black and Decker ,my previous drill was a Bosch and wouldn't do half the work ,the spare battery makes this the a valuable tool for the Heavy DIY guy or the tradesman at £50 ,its a steal.
on 17 January 2010
i was asked to get a cordless drill for my step-father for xmas.he wanted one with a spare battery and this seemed to fit the bill.in short he loves it!.powerfull, comes in a strong case,comfortable to hold and good battery life.buy with confidence.
on 14 May 2013
Bought this item to replace a 15 year old cordless 9,6V B&D combi drill that still works perfectly well but the charger has packed in and no replacement available. Very disappointed as the 15 year old machine out performs this supposed more modern replacement. New drill feels cheap in comparison and does not have that robust feel that you expect from DIY tools. The product comes complete with 2 batteries, great I thought, 1 can be charging whilst I use the other! Used this drill in hammer mode on an 8mm bit and the battery literally lasted 5 minutes! Swapped the batteries over and the same happened. 5 minutes of not even strenuous work and 55 minutes sat around waiting for the spare battery to charge. Save your money if you want to do anything other than tightening screws or use on small wood drills. Punch line came when I saw the next model up (18V) at B&Q for less than £50, almost £25 cheaper than for the next model up!!!!! Regardless of the price issue I would not recommend this product for its very poor battery life under moderate stress and the doubt I have about its ruggedness over a period of time. Given a choice of my old B&D 9.6v KC9682C which is now 15+ years old and this new model, give me my old one (working) every time!!! Plus points are the delivery was very quick and ahead of schedule and the returns process was also very good.
on 26 December 2011
This is a bit of kit that every budding DIYer should invest in.
I bought this during the black Friday week at a discount price and am glad I got it.
It may not be the beast of all battery drills but its 14 volts give it enough kick to do most jobs around the house, although this all depends on the drill bits as well as the drill.
The chuck is strong, yet easy to lock/unlock, and can take most DIYer size bits.
The drill itself is pretty lightweight and the extra battery is a godsend really as I can have one on charge whilst using and discharging the other, thus I can keep drilling all day long.
The charger is a simple slide and plug in system, but sadly there is no indication as to when the battery has been fully charged, so you have to guess and remember the 3 hour charge time.
Then there's the case which is a sturdy black plastic and fits everything in, such as the drill itself, the two batteries and the charger

In all, if you're after a low cost drill which will do the job then it's worth looking at this one, and if you can get it for under £50.00 you'll be laughing.
on 29 January 2015
Bought it for it's cordless hammer drill capability, just don't bother it's rubbish, I got so fed up trying to drill one hole, i had to go b&q and buy a mains Bosch hammer drill! Ok for soft stuff like wood or plastic but not the hammer drill function for walls.
on 16 October 2014
I already have a B&D cordless drill but the batteries did not hold their charge so this is a replacement. I chose it because, as far as I could tell, the batteries were interchangeable with my other drill and, as there are two of them in the pack, they can double up for use with my other drill (which is better). So it proved. The cost of a single replacement battery for the other drill was around £28 so this is a bargain as far as I'm concerned at around £55 for the whole set including the two new batteries. The new drill seems to be well made and, at this price, is a bargain – especially when compared with the cost of buying new batteries for my other drill.
on 1 October 2014
Giving it 2 stars as the chuck unscrews itself and releases the drill part when you use in hammer mode and try to drill into masonary so have not been able to drill into my bathroom wall after about 10 attempts. Contacting Black and decker customer support to see if they have any tips on stopping from this from happening as it currently renders the device useless as I can't use it for the purpose I bought it for so shall return if there is no solution. Other then that the normal drill function seems good for simple screwing, light drilling.
on 14 May 2013
In general, this is a pretty good drill.
My only gripe is with the chuck, which works itself loose and releases the drill bit when using in "Hammer" mode, and drilling into masonry.

Oh, and the battery charger doesn't tell you when the battery is fully charged. A little bit penny pinching, these days I think.