Customer reviews

on 6 October 2017
Bought for wife. She likes it.
Regards DBS
on 6 March 2017
It was great to re read the poems of my youth
on 18 July 2017
good
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2009
Like most people I am most familiar with Betjeman's poetry, most notably Slough.
The tone of that poem - humorous; sardonic - is the main tone throughout the rest of his poetry, but they only make up half of this book.
The second half is full of Betjeman's prose, a section of which is made up of his pieces about Britain's churches (a passion of his, and his architectural knowledge is clearly beyond that of the amateur), the script for his commentary on a TV piece called Metroland (about the commuter belt outside London), and various other pieces.
One note-worthy piece for me was a letter found by his publisher written half in French, half in English, that seems somehow to capture the very essence of Betjeman's fun-loving nature and irrepressible desire to play with words.
on 6 June 2004
I love this book - it captures all aspects of Betjeman's writing and is accessible for those of us who aren't otherwise great readers of poetry.If you're abroad , this could make you homesick! It is rather nostalgic and to me conjures up all that is best about England .The prose is as interesting as the poetry and in bite-sized chunks so it's perfect for reading on a journey too. Definately worth buying!
on 11 June 2009
I've found this book to be very helpful so far. 1st time being best man so I had no idea what I was supposed to do. It's been very informative - big day hasn't arrived yet but this definitely got the ball rolling and has given me many ideas for the speech; which is the main reason I bought it. The advice is down to earth - explains the traditions but has a contemporary outlook, encouraging you to get creative and personalise your speech. Would definitely recommend.
on 7 July 2001
This is a wonderful book, he writes about the good things to keep and appreciate in this changing world. Poetry is not only one of the most difficult types of creative writing but is also the best to read when well written.
on 6 August 2011
A perfect companion for someone preparing a best man's speech. I bought it about three weeks before the big day and managed to cobble together a speech that got a few chuckles and seemed to make the bride and groom happy.

The first half of the book covers the 'other duties' of a best man i.e. role in supporting wedding plans, organizing stag etc. (this section got a 10 minute glance from me - as I didn't see it as particularly relevant to the stage I was at. The bride and groom had already spelled out where they needed my support)

Part 2 of the book: The Speech gives you - in a short number of pages- all the guidance you need. i.e. Structure,strong opening and closing, Dos and Don'ts, tips for delivery, confidence tips etc. It includes apprx 10 sample speeches which you can pluck relevant funny one liners from and make them your own. The author provides heaps of food for thought to facilitate you in producing your own original speech.

To make best use of the material takes a little bit of time so do purchase with some time to spare before the wedding........
on 5 January 2015
What can I say, I got exactly what I asked for when I asked for it and it was in great condition with the correct packaging for its size. Couldn't fault it.
on 19 April 2006
This book is absolutely brilliant. The author tells you all you need to know about a best man's duties (and his all-important speech!) in a straightforward and really humorous way. I found it invaluable and cannot recommend it too highly. Thanks, John, as you promised in the blurb of your book, you turned a terrifying prospect into a piece of (wedding) cake!