Colour Name: black|Change

on 12 April 2013
Radio works fine and easy to set up and looks very suitable for an elderly person as highlighted in other reviews. However, please be aware that the design of the mains power unit, in common with most others from all manufacturers of consumer audio visual and IT products, results in a residual high AC voltage on exposed metal parts - with this product this is the aerial. This results in a tingling sensation like a low grade electric shock, sometimes known in the industry as 'bities'. Apparently this is harmless but could worry elderly or other nervous consumers. This type of power supply is mandatory under EU regulations since it is more efficient than older transformer based power supply units which don't give these nastly 'bities'. Thats progress for you. When I contacted Roberts I was able to speak to a technical person who explained this very clearly and offered to replace the mains power supply with an old less energy efficient transformer type, hence I have revised my review and give this product 5 stars. Top marks also to Roberts for being able to provide top quality telephone assistance - they even answered their phone quickly, and were able to put me through to the right department very quickly. The replacement power supply was also sent by return after I sent in the original. This is the second Roberts DAB radio I have bought and all are distinguished by good performance and design.
on 9 August 2012
I also bought this for an elderly person. Two downsides from her perspective:

1. It is too easy to re-program the pre-set buttons by holding them down a fraction of a second too long. A separate button that can be used in conjunction with a pre-set to "fix" the current station would be better. I have this on one of my analogue radios and it is a much more fail-safe solution

2. There is no handle, just a slot in the back at the top to slip your fingers in. Fine of you are a 20+ radio-designer; not too good with arthritic fingers at 80+

Tone/volume is good; reception in a small Midlands provincial town is OK. I was a bit surprised how weak some of the mainstream BBC signals are, but it seems to cope. The tiny LED display is as ridiculous as almost all digital radios; on this one it is also inconveniently positioned. Volume knob is OK (at least it's a knob, not more switches), but why does it need to be hemispherical - just another designer whim to reduce the usability? Manual tuning is via switches designed to look like a knob, which really made me laugh, but there is minimal need for manual tuning of course

I partly bought this to see if the "digital experience" has improved since the pathetic models I bought 5 years ago. The answer is yes, but still a long way to go to match a decent analogue set on MW or LW. We are being pushed into an inferior technology by broadcasters
on 15 March 2010
This is a marvellous medium priced Roberts radio which does exactly as it says on the box. Choice of DAB or FM, easy to programme station and favourite settings, option for batteries if desired. Really good sound for a radio of its type and perfect for using anywhere in the home.
on 23 July 2010
Bought radio for Father's Day for my Dad in his shed, but it was so good, Mum's nabbed it for the kitchen - say no more! Main reason because my Dad loved 'Jazz FM', and he thought it had gone forever, until he heard it on my DAB radio, so the idea of the present was planted and over the moon he was. He can listen to JAZZ FM, once again. Needless to say that the favorite button on the radio is programmed in to that station - brilliant feature. It's so easy to programme - the sound is superb for a middle of the road priced radio, Roberts live up to their name. Excellent purchase, really pleased and the previous reviews certainly helped me make my decision. Thanks to all.
on 2 October 2013
The customer reviews are extremely important to me when making my decision with purchases from Amazon. As a rule, I tend to start with the 1 star comments & move up to the 5 stars. I want to see whether faults or grievances have a common theme relating to the product.

This particular radio was unpacked, plugged in, placed in its position where it will live in my living room (west facing). It scanned which took only a few moments. It managed to access 28 stations. (I'm in central Scotland). The "Absolute" channel began playing. Pressing the tuner 'up' arrow, I located one of the channels I preferred...nothing happened, Absolute channel continued. I persevered, but could not get the radio to switch to an alternative channel nor was I able to save any to 4 preset positions or the heart-shaped favourite. At this point I went back onto Amazon & checked the reviews. Yes...there were other customers stating this was a fault issue. I resolved I would have to pack it up & return it to Amazon, so put it back in its box, planning to repack later.

A few hours passed & I went back to the radio. I decided to give it another go; took it through to the east facing kitchen & plugged it in. It repeated its scanning & a lo! A few extra channels were found beyond the original measly 28! The tuning 'up' arrow was depressed again & I hit the select button with a light touch, almost a flick...voila! The channel changed from Absolute to BBC Scotland! Next I tried to save stations onto my preset & favourite buttons, again with that light finger touch to the buttons...similar to as if I were clicking a laptop keyboard key. Yay success! I wasn't aware I had been heavy handed when I initially tried this procedure, though I had kept each button depressed whilst I waited for the acknowledgement that storing or a channel change had taken place.

The sound is perfectly acceptable for a portable radio at this price point. My priority is to listen to local news & listen to plays or comedy whilst I work. (Will stick to an MP3 player if I'm craving some music with bass) I particularly like the simple roller style volume control. The edge of the thumb, or tip of a finger can move it around with ease. It's a basic, no-nonsense, no-frills radio. Its design suits me fine as its sitting on a shelved area, so the angled top means all buttons are visible without having to tip it forward to see them.

So aside from the original channel changing issues I had to begin with, down to a user malfunction rather than the radio, then I can't in all honesty fault this product.
on 10 June 2010
I'm not one for writing reviews but, just want to mention that this is a superb little radio for the price. Ideal for the kitchen or workplace. My main reason for writing this is because my first one did not work properly so I rang Roberts Technical Helpline. They gave me a prompt and friendly reply saying I could either return it to them or to Amazon. I chose the latter, sending my faulty radio back to Amazon on a Saturday morning. The following Monday my replacemant from Amazon arrived! I have had no problems with it. It is easy to use and the number of digital stations I can recieve is around 50.

Top marks to both Roberts & Amazon for their customer care and after sales service!
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2010
I wanted a good quality radio as a universal second set and I wanted the extra stations on DAB.
With this radio I got both in an easy to use piece of kit. The controls are particuarly well laid out and easy to use.

No the sound quality doesn't compete with my main hi-fi - well there's a surprise, and for Radio 3 I'll continue to use that. However, for good quality low distortion speech radio (main purpose) with occasional background music it's perfect.

I'm glad it's got FM which remains my default as I still prefer the pips being at the right time rather than being a couple of seconds late on DAB.

A couple more presets (it's got four per waveband plus an emergency favourite) wouldn't have gone amiss.
on 30 January 2010
Bought a radio at my wife's request, didn't know what I was buying, really. Choice of colurs black or white, either of which would have suited the decor of the kitchen. Inexplicably the white one was half the price of the black one, Q.E.D. We are pleased with the performance so far, but have heard many tales of the unreliability of digital radios, so we shall see!
Malcolm Wilson
on 30 January 2011
I bought this small DAB radio for my kitchen and chose it largely on the back of other reviews.

I agree with almost everything other reviewers have said. For the price it functions well, is easy to use and looks OK too.

However, my only disappointment is that the sound, though good in quality is a little feeble in volume. Even turned to maximum it fails to deliver in a moderately noisy kitchen. My advice is, if you want a radio for this kind of environment consider something with a little more power.
on 5 June 2011
I bought this unit after recently buying the excellent roberts ECO unit for my outdoor work,which is a solid 2 speaker well made unit.
I chose this cheaper model as it was only to be used in the mornings at breakfast indoors.The difference in quality with a £25 difference between my roberts ECO and this unit is quite substantial.This unit uses very thin cheap plastics and to my amazment,only 1 speaker,so the sound is average at best which sort of cancels out some of the reasons for buying a digital radio.But in saying that it does always stay in tune with no loses of signal and is ok for the job i wanted it for.It would probally not be suitable for a outdoor enviroment due to its weak speaker.