Customer reviews

on 16 August 2010
I have had similar problems to other reviewers who gave this product one-star (it deserves no stars at all). It is not only that the software doesn't work but that the Avanquest after-sales service is absolutely appalling. They treat their customers with contempt hoping, I guess, that if they ignore enough people for long enough, a big proportion of them will go away. I have made a mental note of the brand Avanquest and will never, ever buy anything from them again.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2010
Installed the software but crashes every time you try to start it. No word or help from Avanquest, so took my theory to a tech forum and apparently this is a common fault for this software. I'm now looking for another piece of software, one that at least loads up. If you're looking at this, my advice is to take a chance on another piece of software.
VINE VOICEon 8 November 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are looking to design a modest website for business or for a club or society this will do the job relatively quickly, easily and cheaply. If you don't need to go beyond the basic templates offered here you will be perfctly satisfied. Certainly most small clubs or groups will find this quite adequate and enjoy the results.

Even if you think that your needs are going to be a bit more demanding and sophisticated this is still a good place to start as it will give you a basic understanding of where to start and help you to define what those needs are going to be. You will then be in a better position to decide whether or not to buy a more expensive and sophisticated package or to hire someone else to sort it all for you - usually even more expensive unless you have a web designer in the family!
on 17 December 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
WebEasy 8 is a bit of a compromise for any potential website designer. More advanced users are likely to find it restrictive, as the templates are rigid and editing HTML is a tricky process, and novice users also will find the interface pretty unpleasant to use, as many of the built-in tools are difficult to find.

This "Professional" version of the software includes hosting for three months and a free subdomain - you'll need to look to the Platinum edition to get a proper domain included and a full year of hosting. There's the usual raft of site templates on offer, including a selection for iPhones and other mobiles, and they are generally of a high standard.

It's a good example of a program that attempts to walk the fine line between advanced and beginner web-design tools and ends up falling into neither camp. While there's not a great deal intrinsically wrong with the software, there's also little to make it stand out and ultimately, in my experience, extended use proved to be a frustrating experience.
on 24 August 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok it works and you get what you pay for, it's easy to use and provides acceptable results.

The user interface is average and you wont take long to knock out what you want to however there are many other better alternatives such as using a FREE wordpress blog and free templates (doesn't have to look like a blog at all either! easy to make it look like a normal website!) that will provide a far better search engine performing website. You're still going to have to know how to do some bits that this software doesn't cover where as the other alternative mentioned above needs to to have a domain already and a database the rest is plain sailing.

Having used Mr Site in a box previously it's a similar product however there all a little gimmicky and wont be future proofed - spending time doing something that you can't push forward with easy updates is a bind.

Producing a quick website is as it states quick but heed warning to get a good looking website takes time and effort and in todays web environment even personal websites need to look good to keep your viewers entertained.

Not a huge recommendation but if you have no knowledge and want to have a little play then maybe give it a whirl!
on 1 October 2009
I wanted to create a site for the village club and residents, and bought this because I don't have a lot of computer experience. The thing that made it simple was the templates - by choosing one of these it really makes life easy by leading you through the whole design process. You can start with a blank template if you prefer, but we didn't feel the need to make life more complicated, and the site we created looks fab - we can link to other peoples photo albums on Picasa and Facebook to show village events too, which is a really nice feature, to avoid us having to upload them all again.
on 19 February 2010
I managed to lose the serial number, yes I know, but trust me it wasn't the hardest thing to do, and then contacted the company. Despite initially saying they would come back to me, nothing, nada, zilch. So my review is based on the fact that despite paying good money, and I bought direct from their own website, they couldn't care less. I've use the previous version and it was fine, but if consider that you just might have any problems then I would suggest a more efficient company - with a real customer care centre, might be worth considering.
VINE VOICEon 4 March 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was hoping this software would enable my husband and I to build a basic website to promote the band he is part of. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to use it. We are trying to install it on a laptop running Windows 7. The initial install seemed to work ok. We entered the licence key on the box to register the product, and continued the install process. Once the install had completed a message came up requesting that we restart the pc, which we did.

That was as far as we got. Every time we start web easy, we get a message saying our licence key can't be verified and is incorrect or has expired - we've checked it, re-entered it etc. Unfortunately you don't get any indication that there is anything wrong with the key you have entered until you try to start the software (presumably it doesn't check it at the point at which you enter it?) - at which point we get the same error message every time.

We've requested support from Avanquest (you register on their website for technical support and then e-mail them the details of your problem via their website). We got a standard response saying we would hear from them shortly, but we haven't had any further e-mail response at all. I thought they would probably just e-mail us an alternative licence key that would get us over the problem, but clearly not!

I can't give it a zero, so it's a one star rating. But in my view, a product that doesn't install might lose a star for being complicated to set up (although if the technical support people were helpful, I'd be tempted to add a star for that!). A product that has no technical support though - well, that's a zero. I shall avoid their products in future.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used several web design packages and normally master them fairly quickly and seldom, if ever, even need to refer to user manuals. Web Easy sounded promising so I thought I'd give this one a try. A domain name is included along with 3 months of hosting - after which you can pay for further hosting or relocate your site elsewhere. An FTP facility is also included so the site can be uploaded to any host. It all sounds good so far...

I can see from the actual program files that Web Easy offers a superb range of quality templates, clip art, animations, photos, audio files - everything you could possibly need and it also offers CSS and DHTML for special effects to add a creative touch. On using it for the first time, it was a doddle to select a themed template, type in my own information, change the copyright clause and drag and drop my own photos onto the template and, had I stuck rigidly to the equally rigid templates, I could have had a polished website up and running within an hour.

Alas the template I selected included five pages - but my site required eight along with the flexibility to deviate from the precise layout of the template. Normally web-design packages have a 'tree' type diagram onto which new pages can be added and automatically the theme and 'fixed text' such as the title, company name and copyright clause would be included, then the structure can be changed by dragging and dropping files around the site. However, search as I might, this doesn't seem to be possible with Web Easy whereby your site must follow the confines of the templates which also largely determine what information is included within the site, precisely where it is included on each individual webpage and the text almost has to fit into a pre-sized box. It would be pure coincidence if this matched your needs and, in my case, it didn't.

At least there is an option to build a site from scratch without using templates but this is fraught - the package becomes anything but user-friendly or intuitive and although there are a vast array of features available somewhere within, finding and using them is another matter. A novice would soon be floundering and after several years of designing sites myself, I found the process just too frustrating and am reverting back to the flexible, user-friendly and intuitive MS FrontPage.

If you are a novice seeking to produce a simple but attractive website, quickly and easily using a pre-defined template adding just your own text and photos etc then this will produce quality results for you quickly and you can see exactly what you're producing as you go. However, if you need something a little different to that already pre-prepared and need to alter the template or start from scratch with a site designed to your own format, then you may be better looking elsewhere, perhaps Magix Xtreme Web Designer 5 (PC CD). I am very disappointed - something I rarely say about software I've bought.
99 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is impossible to review a piece of software that won't work. I followed all the instructions and loaded the software onto my computer. When it had finished I double clicked on the logo and nothing happened. I went into programs and clicked on Webeasy and still nothing happened. So I erased the software and tried again, still it wouldn't 'fire up', so I gave it a third chance, still it wouldn't work. I contacted the software company Avanquest and a couple of days later I had a reply suggesting what to do. I tried and... nothing. Another email and another 2 days wait, "try this they say" - basically finding a file and removing it. I searched for the file, it wasn't there. Another email, so far three days have passed and no reply.

As far as the software is concerned I cannot give an honest review, however as far as Avanquest is concerned, all I can say is that for such a large company they really have no idea about how to look after their customers. Do I wait for the third reply (and the fourth, fifth and so on) or do I just give it up as a bad job, making a mental note never to have anything from Avanquest again?

Therefore I cannot say whether or not the software is any good, but if the software is a reflection of the company, then - well, perhaps you should come to your own conclusions.

***UPDATE***

Update on 22 June 2011

I eventually got this software working and to tell the truth, it's not bad. It's one of those packages that gives you (roughly) what you want fairly easily, once you read the instructions, but the best bit is once you become accustomed to using the software, you realise it has hidden depths. OK so it's not the best, by a long way, but it is cheap and when it works, it's not bad.

I agree it may not look 'professional' like a lot of websites, but is does seem to have a special feel to it.

The website I finally built works well and looks OK - for the money, I would give it 4 stars so long as you can get it working, if not, ZERO stars.