Customer reviews

Format: Unknown Binding|Change

on 1 April 2017
This storytelling skill is the very opposite of the'columbo'style,
Where you see the end at the beginning,the ability to keep so many plates in the air is awesome,the ideas included in the narrative are so 'out there',that that version of 'out there' does not exist yet,I hope that as you go on you can keep up this stellar standard ! !
on 8 October 2014
A pretty good book by the legend himself but it's not on pat with the first 2.. That being said it's still worth reading. I'm hoping the next one will be better though.
on 21 May 2017
I have loved the series so far and continue to recommend this author and his books to everyone who asks me about what I am reading, which is surprisingly a lot of people.
on 6 March 2017
amazing book
on 3 July 2013
It reminded me of Frank Herbert's Dune series - stunning first book is head-spinningly brilliant, second book has maybe a little less verve and swagger but nevertheless delivers and then the third one starts to suffer from Lorenzian urges and just loses impetus under the increasingly suffocating swathes of irrelevance and invention for its own sake. It flies off to the left and right like a kid with Tourette's, barking here and howling there but never engaging or startling as Ender's Game did. By now I'm a little sick of Andrew Wiggins (and starting to think how sad it would be if the universe were indeed multiply saved by someone called Andrew Wiggins) and feeling he's something of a smug wee prig.

I liked the Chinese girl idea, but again the execution became wearysome. By the time we discover faster-than-light flight (by sitting in a cardboard box and rubbing the side of our noses) I've seen visions of Paul as a sandworm - a book I last read over 30 years ago - and remembered the frustration of a legendary saga that hit the ground running and then just started digging until it ran out of steam.

A shame, that...
on 29 July 2015
Much slower than previous books in the series. The sudden discovery of faster than light travel was ridiculous and provided such an implausible link to hasten the end of the story that I felt really irritated at the end rather than satisfied. I won't be reading any more in the series now.
I can't say for sure that each of the three Ender's Saga books I've read has been better than the last - they're all too different to really invite easy comparisons. I will say though that I thought Speaker for the Dead was much better than Ender's Game, and I think Xenocide is every bit as good as Speaker for the Dead. It has the same contemplative, introspective philosophising as SftD but with an entirely different focus. It also benefits from introducing a new thread of the story, centred on Qing-Jao and her father - the Godspoken of a colony planet called Path. I began feeling somewhat cold towards this part of the tale, but as it went on it grew to be my favourite lens through which to view the actions of the main protagonists. It offered a view of the bigger picture of the ongoing political context that deepened the more intimate portrayals of the main story.

If the book suffers from anything, it's a kind of 'sequel fatigue' - at the end of the third Ender's book, I was ready for the whole thing to be wrapped up. I was somewhat disappointed that it continues onto a fourth book since it seems that it could so easily have been an extremely good trilogy rather than a somewhat stretched out quadrology. A particular 'plot twist' at the end removes any real hope of a satisfactory conclusion and sends the series spiralling off into a direction that veers dangerously into the territory of its own posterior. The final chapter of Xenocide is as poignant as any I've read in science-fiction, and it would have been a fitting capstone for a tremendously well constructed body of work. Whether I still feel that way after Children of the Mind remains to be seen, but I can't say I've started that with anything approaching the enthusiasm with which I started Xenocide.
on 26 January 2014
Wow, I really liked the previous two books in the Ender series, but this one was hard work. Too often the narrative flow stalls with character's self musings that are a little too esoteric, literally when this starts you can skip two or three pages and the skipped material has zero impact on the overall plot. The characters are also less likeable, I found myself not really caring what happended to any of them. I mean it isn't a terrible book, it simply isn't as engaging as its predecessors.
on 18 October 2001
First two books in Ender series are wonderful reads with a gripping storyline and excellent writing. Well, the third book has the same excellent writing but lacks the storyline.
No wonder Mr.Card is a great writer; whatever he writes he writes it good. Unfortunately Xenocide serves the purpose of bringing up a number of muddled ideas rather than telling a story. As a matter of fact there are so many ideas (overcoming an intelligent virus, how to save Jane, the Godspoken, Novinha's frustration against Ender, Ender's "split" personality, piggies' rights, virus rights, Bugger's way of thinking, Inside and Outside, faster-than-light-travel and some more minor things) that all comes to frustrating complexity and since the author does not have enough "time" (number of pages) to devote to each idea, almost everything except a few becomes muddled.
At the end, since the author creates more problems than necessary for a book - that can be handled in a single book - in order to neatly tie all that mess up, he has to resort to deus ex machina by means of hard sci-fi. Well Mr. Card is a great writer of characters, but he's not that great in hard sc-fi; thus his attempt makes you feel kinda cheated.
Overall this is an inescapable book. If you've started Ender Saga you'll have to read this. Thanks to Card's writing, it is still a fun read but especially with its ending it is unsatisfactory.
on 31 July 2014
Whilst it is not as different as the speaker of the dead was to ender's game it does introduce some new characters and freshens things up a bit. I did enjoy it and will most likely buy the next book in the series but I did find the book hard going at times especially when talking about theoretical stuff like faster than the speed of light travel.