on 7 February 2018
"Paranoid" and "Master of Reality" are often cited as the best Black Sabbath albums. IMHO, "Vol 4" is not far from them. It is a more diverse album, with still very heavy tunes (the intro of "Under the Sun", the main riff of "Tomorrow's Dream", "Supernaut", "Cornucopia") but also mellower tracks like the beautiful "Changes" and the instrumental "Laguna Sunrise". Perhaps for the first time, Ozzy's vocals surpass the potent riffs of Tony Iommi, which is not an easy task. In addition, the drug-fueled brains of the musicians created these peculiar atmospheres ("Snowblind", the outro of "Under the Sun"). A fantastic album for every rock fan.
on 23 October 2016
This is probably not their best album, but contains some of their very best songs, like "Wheels of confusion", "Snowblind" and "Under the sun", and the latter is by far my favourite BS song right now. It deserves 4.5 stars but can't give 1/2 star so I leave it to 4.
I believe it's not an easy album to get into: it took me quite a while to understand it and like it the way I like it now, but I think it is as good as the previous three if not better!
on 15 December 2017
I had forgot just how good this album was.
Not a bad track on it.One of Sabbaths finest
on 27 March 2017
my fav sabbath album.
on 18 October 2014
Heavy Metal history in the making - before it was called Heavy Metal! For any current, or former headbangers out there, I absolutely defy you to play 'Supernaut' on a decent system with the bass turned up - and prevent yourself from involuntarily shakin' that swede out of it's socket. Old as you may be, this is cathartic stuff!
on 10 April 2016
Its a great album but maybe a tad weaker than those either side of it purely for the inclusion of the track FX which is just rubbish, even the band admit that.
on 26 November 2014
This album seems to get overlooked somewhat in ruminations regarding the Sabbath oeuvre. I can't understand why. In my opinion it's just as great as the other more lauded offerings (except, of course, for the series of whines, clicks and farts which constitutes the track, "FX". If you're not that familiar with this album, buy with confidence, you won't be disappointed. Everything to love about Sabbath is there in spades.
on 28 August 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 December 2009
I got Sabbath's Vol. 4 as a Christmas present in 1972. 37 years on I still think it's an amazing album. I have heard 2 other CD versions since, including one remaster, but nothing had approached the vinyl until now. This is as good as the vinyl. A superb remaster.
on 10 March 2018