on 7 February 2018
The last perfect BS album regarding the Ozzy era. There are great tunes like the title track, "A National Acrobat" (this incredible verse, the bassline!) and "Spiral Architect", as well as mellower tracks like the instrumental "Fluff". It's a groovier album (I know that sounds weird) than the previous ones, and this is particularly obvious when listening to tracks like "Sabbra Cadabra".
Fans usually speak about the holy trinity ("Black Sabbath", "Paranoid" and "Master of Reality") but the more diverse "Vol 4" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" are as essential as these for every heavy metal fan.
on 5 April 2011
The sleeve notes say that at the beginning of recording their fifth album, the boys were bereft of ideas, even the metronimic Tony Iommi was blank as to riffs, but after moving into a castle to record it ideas came flooding, and boy, the result is excellent.

I would have to say that I view this as a better album than Volume 4, it seems more complete somehow. When Iommi comes up with a riff he delivers big time, and the opening (title) track is no exception, an absolute killer riff and as a complete song, probably a little fuller than previous Sabbath recordings.

"Fluff" is a beautiful little accoustic track, I swear if you played this to anyone who did not know Sabbath they would never guess who it was, it is so out of character (and I include "Embryo" and "Orchid" in that statement as interesting as they are, they are little more than curios, this is the real thing). This leads on to "Sabra Cadabra" one of my favourite tracks that amply demonstrates what a brilliant bass player Geezer Butler is and carries on through such tracks as "Killing Yourself To Live" to the excellent "Spiral Architect" which concludes the album.

A Sabbath classic that should not be missing from any collection.
on 24 November 2015
Very old favourite of mine from years ago . I Just thought It would be nice to add it to my collection for the memories from my past youth..
And that some albums are getting hard to find these days... So many thanks to Amazon for bringing out the old favourites...
Hope you like the tunes / songs as much as I do
review image
on 7 July 2017
best album black sabbaths ever done..ive got the vinyl..must admit records sound nuch better...
on 26 August 2016
Not just head bashing rock, this album contains more of Toni Iommi's quality guitar. Influenced by some of the greats from the jazz world, you can hear this in the quieter numbers. But the heavier stuff is great also!
on 30 April 2009
This is Black Sabbaths all time best album. I met my wife listening to this -love the little lady always on my mind. I have bought it several times on vinyl and cd. Its not just nostalgia. This is supreme since every track is superlative. My favorite is Who are you. Happy days brilliant music. Wow I think it is timeless music - the best always is. If you have never heard this then you are in for a great treat. Thanks guys for the music. Like someone says here BUY OR DIE!!!
on 31 January 2018
This is one of my all time favourite albums, class from the start.
on 21 July 2016
I've been looking for years for good sounding SBS. Almost given up, bought for the 5th time the same album. And from the first tunes I know - IT'S IT. Look for RHINO edition on vinyl. This is the only one which sounds as it should be. Not so much to add to other revies ref. music - it's just great album and must sound great!
on 8 February 2018
Really good album, well worth buying
on 16 January 2018
it's never sounded better . got to have the whole thing from the start to the finish every time .