Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 11 September 2010
this was a gift for my granddaughter. She was thrilled with the clarity and detail and was a great gift for her birthday.
Both adults and children alike loved it and will also come in handy for school experiments.
on 28 August 2010
Instructions for Veho VMS--400 USB microscope

I write this as a professional microbiologist. This microscope is excellent but, at first, it seems impossible to use at high power [400x] because of inadequate instructions. I recommend practising on a simple flat object like a small piece of printed paper. Press the microscope firmly down onto it [or put the object into the lens cap] and focus at 20x. Now use the focus wheel to change to high power by rotating anticlockwise as far as it will go from that 20x position and then very slowly moving back until focus is achieved. [Note that it looks as if it should be possible to rotate a short distance from the 20 mark to the 400 mark on the focussing wheel. This is not the case. It is necessary to turn the wheel in the opposite direction to the 400 mark.]
As others have commented it is difficult to focus at 400x because the depth of field is small, the contrast is low and it is difficult to hold everything steady. This is not a fault of this microscope; it is true for the best professional instruments which overcome the problem by being very heavy, having precision engineered platforms for moving the object and special lighting systems (e.g. phase contrast). With the VMS-400 I recommend practicing focussing on a simple object as described above; it also may help to fix it to a heavy base or to place the object in the transparent lens cap. For smaller objects it is helpful to press them between glass slides for viewing at high power.
2525 Comments| 322 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 4 February 2016
DISCLOSURE:
I was kindly supplied this item free of charge to test and evaluate. In exchange, I agreed to provide an honest review detailing my thoughts. This is said review.
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

The attached pictures are in the following order:
- Fingerprint
- Printed text
- Human hair
- Human hair
- Cardboard
- Pencil tip
- Writing on a £20 note
- Food
- iPhone screen (it’s a sidewards view of the top left of the Google Maps app icon - the white curve being part of the ‘G’) - This is I think my favourite!
- The Queen’s face on some currency

All/most of the images are dated incorrectly. This is because I hadn’t changed the time/date when I took the pictures - as it turns out, it’s a very simple 30 second job.

—— WHAT’S IN THE BOX? ——

- Microscope
- AV output cable
- Mini-USB to USB charge cable
- 4GB micro-SD carb
- SD card adapter (to put the micro-SD card into if you wish)
- Installation CD-Rom
- Micro-fibre cloth

—— INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ——

All very nicely packaged, and straight out of the box it looks well worth its decent price tag.

—— PORTS ——

Ports on the rear:
- Mini-USB charge port
- AV output port
- 5V charging port

—— MENU SYSTEM ——

- Resolution (12m, 9m, 5m, 3m, 1.3m, VGA) All images attached to this review are taken at ’5m'
- Time lapse (frames, intervals)
- Quality (super fine, fine, normal) All images attached to this review are taken using 'super fine'
- Sharpness (hard, normal, soft) All images attached this this review are taken using 'normal'
- Language (English, Deutsch, Francais, Espanol, Italiano, Portugues, Nederlandse, and three Mandarin/Cantonese variants I don’t understand!)
- Power save (off, 5min, 10min, 15min, 30min)
- Frequency (50Hz, 60Hz)
- Date stamp (date/time, date, off)
- TV out (NTSC, PAL)
- Set date/time
- Format SD card
- System reset (returns everything to default settings)
- View system details
- Video resolution (VGA, QVGA)

—— IN USE ——

After a month of use, the following are my condensed findings and notes that’ll hopefully be of some use if you’re contemplating a purchase:

- The white tray where you place objects on has two silver rotating clips to keep things in place, and a ruler on two sides - very handy
- This tray is raised/lowered by twisting the wheel at the back right of the microscope
- The opposite wheel (on the back left of the microscope) can be twisted to lock the tray at its current height

- When you have the object on the tray at your chosen height, focus is attained by twisting the focus wheel on the vertical ‘microscope part’ of the product
- The focus is very versatile, so can handle a range of distances, including and exceeding the distances that the white tray travels through
- Using the small dial on the top right of the microscope, the built-in LED lights (that face downward, encircling the microscope’s lens) can be raised or lowered in brightness - this helps tremendously when moving from one object to another

- Just below this brightness dial, is a magnification switch. This will toggle from 0-4x magnification (on top of what the microscope already does) - most of the photos attached to this review were taken without this extra 4x magnification, the only one that was, was the screen of my iPhone
- You can review pictures/videos either on the large screen, or indeed by plugging the microscope into a computer via the mini-USB cable, or (my preferred method) by simply removing the micro-SD card and putting that into a computer
- The supplied 4GB micro-SD card will hold roughly 1310 images at the highest resolution, and over 51,000 on the lowest. It will record between 1hr and 2hrs depending on quality. All of this information is handily shown on the screen, so you can see when you’re running out of memory.

- The camera button located on the lower front does just that, takes photos, and starts/stops videos
- Once you get the hang of the various buttons and dials, it all becomes very natural to use
- With the up arrow when in picture mode, you can change between three colour options (colour, black/white, white black)

- The micro-SD card is stored to the left of the screen, so is extremely easy to pop in and out multiple times without having to unclip or unscrew any unsightly covers
- Four rubberised feet protect the surface you’re working on
- The rechargeable BL-5C battery is stored in a compartment on the underside

- I’ve had experience with a couple of microscopes in the past (both around the £60 mark), but this one blows them out of the water. The magnification and clarity of the images is really impressive.
- I’ve had a lot of fun using this microscope with my three nephews. They very much enjoyed going to get random things from around the house, to see what they looked like close up.

——NEGATIVES ——

In a month of use, I can honestly say I haven’t found any real negatives about this product. The one annoyance (mainly because I’m an impatient child!), is that whilst the battery is charging via the mini-USB cable, the product can’t be used as a microscope.
I will use the rest of this brief section to address a couple of the negatives raised by other reviewers...

“poor resolution and magnification"
- Well I think the resolution and magnification are great. You don’t have to take my word for it though, images have been added to this review, so you can make up your own mind.

“Actual magnification 3-5x"
- Well, it’s very simply not - my images prove that!

—— CONCLUSION ——

I’ve been extremely impressed with the overall quality, usability and functionality of this microscope. It has a decent price tag, but I think it lives up to it - take a look at the images for yourself!
I see no reason why this microscope shouldn’t get five stars.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes.

PROS:
✓ Great build quality
✓ 1200x magnification
✓ Various resolution settings (highest being 12m)
✓ Can take images and videos
✓ View images/videos on the device immediately
✓ Ease of operation (when you’ve spent 5mins getting used to everything)
✓ White tray raises and lowers to suit most magnifying needs you have
✓ Silver clips hold things in place
✓ Sharp focus (with a wide range of distances it can focus at)

CONS:
✗ Can’t be used as a microscope whilst charging (this is really just me being impatient, but worth a mention) - (you can still transfer photos/videos to a computer during this charging time)

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
I hope you found this review helpful. If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 20 July 2014
Cannot use this with any of our macs or any of our pcs. Have sent several emails asking for support from Veho who simply respond by saying that it works for them. They may as well add 'tough'. They didn't answer our support request in the end and then did not respond to our subsequent email. I wouldn't recommend that anyone buys this product. We are not I.T. numpties either. This was bought for use by our development test department for checking small pitch components on dev boards. We have a shed load of firmware software engineers in house.... No one can figure out how to get it to work. As Veho have stopped answering my requests for support we are just stuck with an expensive item that will not work with any kind of computer on any kind of platform.
on 20 February 2009
Excellant fun. Ordered this after seeing it on the gadget show website. Purely for interest so was not expecting much. However I have been surprised at the quality of the magnification and the photo/video function is great. After viewing and recording some moss you could see it move as it dried, the LED light makes seeing your items much clearer. As I said this was just for interest but is regularly being used to discover more about items and feel that I will use this more educationally in the future. Its small size means it is not difficult to use and the able length is adequate for most things. I bought this as a present for someone who is difficult to buy for and it has been an instant hit.
on 4 February 2009
Great fun item which easily produces some fascinating snapshots. Well made and simple to install and use. A reasonable price but found a slightly cheaper (similar) item in Lidl's which had a complete set of microscope accessories and pre-prepared slides as well as higher magnification.
Would've given a 5 star rating were it not for the price and lack of accessories.
on 7 February 2009
Great little gadget. Easy to set up and use.
Does what it says on the tin.
I have found loads of uses for this wonderfull little microscope and the kids just love it. You get the image on screen with the option to either take a photo or even a video.
Worth every penny.
on 24 December 2008
I just got one of these as a gift. It's a lot of fun. I had to get the Mac software from the Veho website - definitely would NOT try to put the mini-CD supplied into my slot-loading CD drive - but once it was installed (just a couple of files to copy) the microscope "just worked" on OS X 10.5. Basically you can capture short Quicktime videos or JPEGs from the camera... it needs a fair bit of light though. Surprisingly small and feels a little delicate but it seems solid. You adjust the focus with the silver thumbwheel on the top, which works well.

One point to note is that it saves files to the root directory of your hard disk, which I've emailed them about, that should really be configurable or default to your home directory.

Not sure how often I will find a practical purpose for this but I produce video and photo content for the web so it's a handy little device, and great fun to play around with. I'm off to find something to take pictures of :-)
on 26 April 2010
I bought this product to study and photograph insect inclusions in Baltic Amber (usually no bigger than 2 to 3mm). I have to admit, I did not have great expectations, but after using it for a couple of weeks, the results are quite amazing. I had already tried a conventional microscope, but the resulting images were poor in comparison. In my case, the software loaded without problem and ran on Windows7. By trying various resolutions and adding additional lighting, I have been able to attain far better results than one would expect. Images can be further enhanced by using Extended Depth of Field and noise reduction software, which although not necessary, help to produce stunning images. In my opinion, this is a very powerful little microscope at a fraction of the cost of conventional microscopes. It can be used for fun and more serious study, but you have to investigate the options available in order to get the best out of it. My only hope is that they introduce a 5 megapixel (or similar) version in the future, which will make this item hard to beat. I was hoping to include some sample pics in this review, but do not think it's possible.
Buy one, you won't be disappointed.
on 11 September 2008
I shall prefix what I am about to say by detailing my system: it is an Acer TravelMate 243LC laptop running WinXP SP2 & has USB 1.0 ports.

I bought the little VeHo VMS-001 microscope as a `grown-up' replacement for the perfectly adequate IntelPlay QX3 microscope (bought in 2002); the reason for the purchase being that the VeHo `scope would look a little neater on my desk & take up much less space than the bulky, `plasticy' QX3. I must add that the QX3 was a child's play to install & use - real `plug `n' play.

I had high hopes that the little VeHo `scope would be just as simple to install, but unfortunately it wasn't. First of all the `scope driver would not install as it did not pass the Windows Logo test (signature test), contrary to what is stated in the VeHo `scope's manual there was no option to `continue anyway'. I tried downloading & installing the drivers from the veho-uk.com website, but this did not help nor did a perusal of the FAQs section of the website. A couple of internet searches later & I found out how to get around this problem & this is what to do: click START & then right click on MY COMPUTER, select HARDWARE & look for & click on the `Driver Signing' button then select the option that allows installation of unsigned drivers, but gives you a warning you about, click on APPLY & OK. Now reinstall the `scope driver (say YES to installing the unsigned driver) & then install the microcapture driver & allow the PC to re-start. I plugged in the `scope, but nothing happened - you are supposed to be prompted to install the software. By clicking on the icon to start up the `scope I discovered that it wasn't recognising the `scope's presence. I got around this problem thus: go to the CONTROL PANEL, select SYSTEM & then select DEVICE MANAGER. In device manager, after mooching around the USB ports, problem devices, etc, I found the `scope under PROBLEM DEVICES, which I selected & allowed to install the software/drivers from the CD supplied with the `scope (N.B. at this point the `scope & the CD were attached & in the CD drive, respectively). Hey Presto! The `scope finally illuminated & worked! Upon the first shutdown of the software I got a "Windows has encountered an error & must shut down"-type error, but thereafter everything seemed to be fine.

What is not immediately clear nor explained in the manual is how to change the magnification - you do this by changing the PREVIEW to 640 x 480 & using the ZOOM facility. I found out how to do this by consulting the FAQs on the VeHo website.

All in all, this is a neat, sleek little gadget that looks good on your desk & does the job it's designed to do. It is hugely let down by its appalling, skimpy, poorly-written manual - the pdf of the manual is exactly the same as the tiny paper version. There is no trouble-shooting section & the website is little better. In addition, the software isn't very friendly at all. A computer novice could well find themselves with nothing more than a glorified paperweight if they encounter the same kind of installation problems that I did, but then again they may not be buying this kind of gadget. Foolishly, I thought I'd do a quick look-see installation & have a little play about, but it turned into a marathon of best part of two & a half hours to get the `scope to work. I must add that I'm no computer wizard rather I am a few notches up from novice level.

Do be aware that there's not much on the internet about this little `scope aside from where to buy it. However, don't let my review put you off buying this great little gadget, but do be prepared for the possibility of it being anything but plug `n' play. Good luck!
66 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse