on 1 August 2013
Every now and again, a new series comes along to cross the age boundaries and be enjoyed by young and old alike. The Island of fog series reminds me of CS Lewis's Narnia series, and Harry Potter, and the Hunger Games - all of which appealed to both younger and adult readers.

The story is set in a world where (like in the Narnia series) two worlds meet - our world, and the world of Fae creatures - like Dragons, Centaurs, Harpies, Ogres, Fairies, and other magical creatures.

On our world, a terrible virus has been unleashed, and 9 childless couples have been taken to an Island by someone from the faerie world, where a magical fog has protected them from the effects of the virus. They have been gifted with a chance to conceive special children, who are raised in isolation from the rest of the world, until, at aged 12, they start to develop special powers which enable them to transform into magical creatures from the world of the Fae. In the first book of the series, they begin to learn about their special powers, and to wonder about why they have not been told about them before. Are they the result of a sinister experiment, or is something else going on?

I loved this story! Initially I read the first book to see whether or not it would be a good choice for my 9 year old son. I was immediately drawn into the story myself, and am sure all my kids (2 girls age 14 and 11, and a son aged 9) will enjoy the books (My eldest daughter is already engrossed in the first one).

The books are very well written, with several strong characters. The main character is a 12 year old boy called Hal, but as the story progresses in the second book in the series, the characters of particularly Abigail, and to a slightly lesser degree Lauren, are developed nicely into strong female characters that my daughter will be able to relate to as well. The relational challenges faced by the group remind me a lot of the Harry Potter books (as do the fantastical creatures the children can shape-shift into), but at the same time the story is fresh. The pro's and con's of each particular child's special abilities are well thought through. The way they work together as a team to overcome various challenges is interesting, and shows a lot of thought from the author.

The books are an easy read - about the same level as the Narnia series, and take about 2-3 hours for a competent adult reader to finish, but are utterly engaging. I immediately bought the second in the series after finishing the first, and will do the same for the next in the series.

Buy them for your own enjoyment, as well as for your 8-14 year old kids. Highly recommended!
on 2 September 2013
My mum downloaded this to her kindle account for me to read.
It only took me a day to read this book because it was gripping in some ways. The start was slow but it eventually got there. I thought the book was pretty good but it wasn't really scary enough for me. I thought the characters were well written and the writer made me like them and I would like to read the second and third books. I think children from nine upwards would like this book, both boys and girls. It was exciting with lots of action and good descriptions - especially when Hal turned into a dragon. I really liked that bit.
It's a good read and I recommend it.
I only gave it four stars because I have read books like His Dark Materials and all the Harry Potter books. It wasn't as good as them.
Jake, 12 years old (nearly 13)
on 11 August 2013
This is a really good book full of twists and turns with great characters, which are all hilarious. Fenton is my favorite character mainly because when he tries to be tough he fails epically and he is really funny as well. I was hooked from the start and I had it all read in two days and I will definitely buy the sequel. It's a fast paced and really intriguing read for anyone that likes fun stories with great characters.
on 7 March 2013
Luckily I starting reading this unaware that it was aimed at children, otherwise I would have missed a great read!
Well written with great character development and pulls you into the storyline. Good to read for adults as well as children and would make a brilliant film.
on 21 April 2014
Eight children are raised on a mysterious Island of Fog cut off from the mainland. Everywhere else a mysterious plague has swept the earth and only they and their familes survive. That is enough of a premise for a good book for me but wait - there's more. The kids are starting to change and they don't know what they are changing into or who to trust.

I loved this first book and went straight onto the next. Each one reveals more to the reader and the kids and each contains a good satisfying adventure.
on 18 November 2010
Have just finished the first book of Keith's trilogy and I must say I enjoyed every moment of it.

I found the story to be clever, with enough minor twists to catch the unwary and also throw the more 'jaded' reader a curve-ball. The characters are likeable and varied enough to be more than just cut-outs designed to appeal to a certain audience and age.

The way the story develops, revealing new elements of its structure is, in my mind, akin to a master jeweller revealing each finely cut facet of a diamond as he polishes it. In fact as novels go, this probably drew me into its story far easier than most.

This story is, in my opinion, one I would heartily recommend to anyone with an interest in good storytelling, not just an interest in fantasy.
on 28 June 2013
This is the first book in a series which is now six books long. An excellent read for both children and adults alike but I think this book is an exceptional read for boys. It focuses around a 12 year old boy and involves dragons, what more could a (pre) teenage boy wish to read. This could be another book that will be on the list of "getting boys to read", along with the Harry Potter books.
on 30 September 2012
Fantastic first book of a great series - once you start you will be willing the author to finish the next one so that Hal and his pals adventures continue.

I think it will appeal to people of all ages - my children and some friends have read and enjoyed the series so far.

Keep up the great work Keith Robinson and hurry up with the next one :-) xx
on 14 October 2010
This is the first novel in a trilogy. Superbly written, this book had me eagerly turning the pages for more! A cracking good read, not just for lovers of sci-fi! It had me thinking of the USA series, Lost, and also in parts of the Twilight series. However, don't misunderstand me, this book is a totally original story which stands proudly in the bookshops alongside the most popular authors.
on 6 August 2015
a great fantasy story for older children and teenagers
however I'm 46 and still really enjoyed it
the characters are well developed and the storyline keeps you guessing and interested