Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a niche item that may just fulfil your needs - but more than likely will not.

The basic premise is a good one - take the need to run onboard anti-virus offboard and therefore leaving the computer to do important stuff like watch people do stupid things on youtube. It has however a very narrow target audience - netbooks running XP. Basically low powered equipment with limited computational power and in need of every bit of help available to run reasonably well. And in that context that's fine. But as netbooks seem to have appeared, taken the cheap end by storm and themselves are now heading into obscurity with the advent of machines like the iPhone and the HTC items, one has to ask if there is any point? Also it is designed for XP which is still loved by many but is not supported and in my experience not that common on netbooks either. Linux or Vista is more common.

Second issue is that it of course nicks a USB slot and a cut price netbook by it's very nature often only has two at best.

As for anti virus I will hold my hand up here and say that I'm a fan of Kaspersky and in the three years I have been using it in various guises I've never found it anything less than easy and effective. At least I've never had my computer messed up - although I appreciate that one cannot prove a negative. This USB driven item will be familiar to anyone who has used Kaspersky before - you plug it in and follow the idiot guide and you are covered with as far as I could notice no issue with the netbook speed. Which was slow anyway.

So if you have a slow netbook with a free USB port running XP and a need for anti virus then this will certainly satisfy your needs. All one of you.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This software comes pre-loaded on a USB stick, as many netbooks don't have a cd/dvd drive. It isn't designed for desktops or laptops so I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews. A typical anti-virus solution is way too bloated to run on a netbook so this is the compromise solution and it works well. Unfortunately there is no Windows 7 support on the stick but Kaspersky will upgrade you for free online. It's a shame this product confuses people as it's a good one but *do* check it's the right one for you.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product is not compatible with Windows 7, although the Amazon website states clearly that it is. For this reason, I am unable to offer a review of the software. I understand from reading other reviews that there is a botch up solution to the problem available from Kaspersky, but I really don't want to risk using this. I will wait for the proper Windows 7 compatible version to be released.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 December 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having read one other reviewers comments on this product I decided to re-confirm these details with Kaspersky.

They indeed confirmed that this product was NOT compatible with Windows 7 (Amazon could you update your webpage please to reflect this?) and the product is being replaced. Amazon are showing a replacement here Kaspersky Internet Security for Netbooks: 1 User, 1 Year (PC) which will be available from January 2010.

Kaspersky stated in their email response to me that although this product was not compatible with Windows 7 there was a work-around. Those who have already purchased the product may install a FREE upgrade to 2010 version using their activation code that is provided with the product.

For those who are not yet running windows 7, this product maintains Kaspersky's 'keep the system safe with minimal disruption to the user and using minimal system resources'. Ther security software takes up very little memory and is installed using the supplied USB dongle so you don't need a CD drive to install as most netbooks don't have them.
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This software is built and optimized for Netbooks. I'm still a little unclear what the main differences are between this & standard protection - but it works for me & is user friendly. It secures your mobile environment with complete internet security protection including anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-phishing, anti-spam and anti-hacker technologies, and unwanted pop-up ads - which is a real bonus for me as I hate those things. They offer hourly updates, high detection rates and free telephone technical support, it is designed for enhanced protection, performance and reliability maximizing the full potential of your PC's system resources, including a two-way firewall, parental controls features to create a safe online environment for your family - and virtual keyboard to protect your private data, personal identity and banking information. Share pictures, videos and files with confidence. If you don't have any other protection already on your laptop, then this is a great one stop solution.
on 18 December 2009
The information about this product claims that it runs on Windows 7. I checked this with Kaspersky as it only claims to work with Windows XP on the back of the box. Here is the reply from Kaspersky Support:

"Unfortunately there is not currently a version of KIS ultra-portable that supports Windows 7. Due to the fact that this program has been discontinued there is not likely to be a version that supports Windows 7.

Not to worry though, as the full version has been optimised to run just as efficiently with a netbook for Windows 7 users."

The license for this product can't be used with the full version of Kaspersky Internet Security but Kaspersky support did offer to swap the license over to a full KIS license.
on 12 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Could be better, seems to me not such good value and why make it only of use to a very select group of users with only xp and certain netbooks..
A bit dissapointing, with a good name like this we expected more.
on 25 February 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The software installed easily onto my Netbook DELL Inspiron 10.1. I like the idea of a plug in USB software device to install the anti-virus. The software ininstalled eaily onto my machine, and updates in minutes. The software was easy to install and is not particular noticeable in the resource used. I certainly will use this method in future. After install you are left with a handy 1GB flass memory card. Come a years time I will be using this method again. Highly recomended.
VINE VOICEon 6 February 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I use Kaspersky on my laptop and desktop. Brilliant easy to use software.

When I bought a netbook, I was worried about hogging its resources with anti-virus and anti-spyware then along comes Kaspersky with a specific version for netbooks.

No problem, this does the trick and I feel safe.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product is not compatible with Windows 7 as stated in the Amazon product description. Thanks to the other reviews here I discovered there was an upgrade solution available through Kaspersky. I have now upgraded and the product seems to be working OK. However, there is a new version specifically designed for Windows 7 due in January 2010. My advice is to wait for this, or alternatively purchase another product altogether. I am suprised that Amazon have not updated their product information, especially as there are numerous comments being left.