Customer reviews

on 23 November 2016
Really good to hear this early release. Joni sounds so very English at this point in her career with really crisp pronunciation and tonal eloquence (the opposite to England's Laura Marling who sounds more American as she floats down the river of banality). They don't do 'em like this anymore and neither does she, more the pity. Might sound a bit stiff and old fashioned in places for the Hip listener, so maybe stick to the easier and emotional 'Blue' which is also superlative.This album of work is on par lyrically with anything from Dylan or Cohen, She weaves pictures in words to almost photographic reality.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 November 2017
Although I prefer some of her later albums overall I really enjoyed listening to this recently. It's a lot simpler in most ways than later albums and has a very sweet, gentle nature to it. Completely inoffensive art-folk which still has some gentle punches and plenty of interesting melodies and a good rhythm that flows throughout.
on 12 June 2011
What words best describe Joni Mitchell's (1968) debut album, Song To A Seagull?

Well... I would say melancholic,serious,atmospheric, beautiful ,unique,affecting ,bold and brilliant!This album remains for me (along with Blue) Joni Mitchell's best and most satisfying early work.Although subsequent albums contain many superb songs/ moments,I always seem to find myself skipping certain tracks.

On this album the only song that I am occasionally tempted to skip is the more up-tempo "Night In The City",that sounds slightly at odds with the rest of the songs here.The rest of the album holds together really well resulting in a cohesive collection where the songs,the musicianship,the words and Joni's voice leave a powerfull and lasting impression on the listener . The unpretenious production and clear,strong sound quality are also top notch .

Joni's voice is mature in it's depth,warmth,range and delivery.Her guitar playing is imaginative,technically excellent,never over-indulgent and always works for the greater good I.E ,the song itself.In fact,the acoustic guitar and Joni's voice dominate this recording to a greater extent than any of her others.The style that Joni uses to play her guitar here is usually finger-picking ; think "Scarborough Fair/ Canticle" ( the Simon and Garfunkel version) and you will be close to the mark.

Previous reveiwers have described the songs on this album in great depth so I will simply list a few of my personal favourites.The opener,"I Had A King" contains spine chilling vocals when Joni sings in her higher register.I have a great affection for "The Dawntreader" because it was this song that brought my attention to the album in the first place when it was played on Lyric FM's late night radio show,"The Blue of The Night".This song contains some of my favourite guitar playing.Finally I will include the title track, "Song To A Seagull",whose rich atmosphere epitomises the feel and character of the album .

If you enjoy music with the aforementioned qualities ,within a largely Folk oriented leaning,then do yourslf a big favour and give "Song To A Seagull" a listen;I believe you will be glad that you did!
on 28 March 2013
Joni stands head and shoulders above her contemporaries. 'Song to a Seagull' set a standard that most singer-songwriters, past and present, would aspire to but simply not reach. 'Blue', (one of Joni's later acclaimed albums) was, for me, always up there; treasured as a beautiful, fragile, funny and deeply emotional ride, nestling like a gem among my priceless stacks of ageing vinyl. I thought on Blue I had Joni at her best, but a couple of plays into 'Song to..' i was absolutely mesmerised, intrigued and moved and could barely wait for the embers of the last track to fade before pressing 'play' again for another dose. (I reluctantly had to move on from vinyl).
I find the word 'folk' off putting: I'm no hippy, i've never done any drugs, never strum a guitar and I'm not big on anything else with 'folk' connotations. At the height of my music library are Joy Division, Beefheart, The Doors, Sonic Youth, The Smiths, The Pixies, The Beatles, The Stones, Velvet U'ground, Love, Eminem, Television.. so I'm not a fan of genres and sticking to them. Add this LP to your collection, leave your musical taste prejudice out of the room and enjoy this for what it is. A collection of superb songs, musically and lyrically perfectly composed and sung like an angel. Let it wash over you for 3 plays with an open mind and you'll start to get it.
on 23 May 2015
As a fan of Joni Mitchell for forty-five years, this album was a revelation to me. I'd heard most of her early stuff except this one, and listened over the years to so much from her other albums, but I'd completely missed the best one of all. This album is wonderful... Joni at her absolute best -- fresh, inventive, beautiful songs with clever, sharp lyrics. As usual, she sings of her quest for love, and her disillusionment with love; her intensity and freshness are stunning, her powers of description and observation (again, as usual) almost unmatched.
An absolute gem, which I'm very happy to have discovered!
on 6 December 2017
I was pleased to find this as a present for someone who thought they had the full collection of Joni albums. It is still a very immature Joni, but even so shows signs of the great artiste she was yet to become. Altogether an enjoyable listen.
on 22 March 2014
You have to hand it to her; she was a brave lass. On stage alone before 600,000 restless folk, some beginning to get out of hand... (that was at the Isle of Wight. I was very young then, but I was there).
This album has some lovely songs, and is well worth the money spent. The presentation is good, and her art on both front and back cover add to the quality of the music. This is Joni Mitchell when she started out, back there in 1968.
Speedy delivery. Hours of enjoyment. What more? You guessed, I've just ordered her second álbum: Clouds, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
on 27 January 2018
Wonderfully folk album by Joni I don't think there is a suffer on it my favorite teams are I had among and cactus tree but all tracks are good I wish people would make albums like this today just voice and guitar
on 2 January 2016
Beautiful music. Strange chords and shifting unfamiliar harmonies. If you are a fan and don't have this get it. If you're new to Our Joni then this is a pretty good place to begin.
on 3 June 2016
The start of Joni's unstoppable rise to a unique star status, already has several gems of songs. Well worth listening to.