on 12 October 2017
Having been a fan of Steely Dan for over 40 years, I watch out for anything that Donald or Walter have been involved it.
So I was extremely pleased to find this; having listened to the snippets before pressing the purchase button, I thought it sounded very good.
But like so often happens, I did not really appreciate just how good this album is until I had heard it 4 or 5 times.
At that stage I came to the conclusion that it is the best that I have heard from Donald Fagan since I started listening
Having just found out that the album went Platinum both in the US and UK, i can only say that I am not really surprised.
My final point would be that having listened to so much of Becker's guitar work, I automatically assumed that the magnificent axe work was his, so imagine my surprise to find out that he was not involved in any way with this album - however, the guitar work, and the record production,is so good it's worth listening to in its own right, even without Fagan's classic voice and lyrics.
on 12 April 2015
If you are a fan of thought provoking and slick musical production that was the genesis of Steely Dan, then you will love this CD. Donald Fagens solo effort is truly a work of pure musical genius. The musicianship is stellar as always, and the cool vocal stylings of Fagen create a recording that will remain timeless in music history, get it and see for yourself.
on 15 June 2017
I remembered his music when I was younger, never did remember the artist, so pleased I found him again and at a good price
on 9 March 2017
This album is fantastic I have it on vinyl and CD and some 12,inch singles Donald fagen is the coolest dude apart from Jackson Browne of course
on 30 March 2013
Fagen is remarkable, intricate, multi-talented, intelligent, just a bit weird, and from New Jersey...a recipe for what is fast becoming the most favourite recording I have, which may not sound like much until you realize I'm a modern jazz freak with my ears firmly and usually planted in 50's West Coast sound and early 60's MJQ and Brubeck. What a spectacularly good album...listened, and featured it immediately on my next jazz show. This is a GOTTA HAVE!
on 12 December 2014
Fagen at his very best. This album is well over 30 years old but still sounds wonderfully fresh and original. The production and musicianship are stunning. I've had the CD for years but decided to buy it on vinyl after acquiring a Linn turntable and it sounds wonderful! One of my favourite albums of all time, I highly recommend this vinyl version.
on 7 August 2012
I've had conversations with people about the merits of this album before now and discovered that there are people out there who will deny themselves the sheer pleasure of listening to it purely on the grounds that it's too highly revered (shades of I've never seen Star Wars!) I cannot say more than has already been said. It is a work of musical genius along with the bulk of the rest of Becker & Fagens output and I absolutely love it.
on 15 March 2018
The album itself is great. The music is well produced and a pleasure to listen to.
on 22 February 2018
Superb Album not a bad track on it , lost my old copy but had to order another.
on 21 March 2018
This is just co cool. Chill in the evening with this.