on 21 December 2012
This coffee machine arrived in a box, as you would expect. I was a bit annoyed, however, when I opened the box, and, having removed a polystyrene panel, attempted to remove the machine in the only way that seemed obvious to me - by grabbing hold of the metal rail that you can clearly see in the picture. Of course, unbeknownst to me at the time, this would instantly result in the lid opening, and thus the machine fell back into the box. During this accident, the lid closed down again on the machine and jammed the filter holder which had moved during the shock of the fall. It was jammed incorrectly and had to be forcefully removed. I was unimpressed and pretty annoyed at this. There really should have been a note inside or a sticker on the box warning the user about this danger and advising them to remove the machine by using both hands to grab the sides.

Anyway, that is by the by. The result is that the lid is slightly off-kilter, and when you close the lid, it rubs slightly on one side. It doesn't make any difference to the functioning of the machine, I am glad to say.

The coffee machine is easy to use. You open the lid and pour in the required amount of water using the jug. You can use the plastic permanent filter supplied, or you can dispense with this and use the paper filters provided - there are only two with the machine. But they can be purchased in shops at a very modest cost - I got 40 paper filters for 99 pence in M&S. You can use the scoop provided to put in the desired amount of coffee. Today I made one mug of coffee. I used one scoop of Costa coffee. I think one and a half scoops would have been better. (Edit: I use two scoops to make one mug of coffee).

The machine makes a full jug of coffee in less than five minutes. It is very efficient. It also gives off a great aroma of coffee. I have not experienced that with the Morphy Richards coffee filter machine I have at my other house.

The machine looks good. The jug is only big enough for three mugs of coffee, but that is more than enough for me.

On the top, there is a guide rail and you can warm a mug there. The panel only really gets hot directly above the jug, and if you leave it for a while once the coffee is done, the mug would be warmed somewhat. It's not a major feature though so I wouldn't get too excited about it.

All in all, I am happy with this coffee machine. It is modern and efficient and allows one the joy and pleasure of making coffee. The manufacturer states that the hot-plate keeps the coffee at a desirable 80 degrees Celcius, whilst the coffee is made at a different, but optimum, temperature.

Note that if you want to make a full pot (three ordinary sized mugs), you fill the water tank using the jug, and put in two measuring scoops of coffee per cup (= 6 level scoops) in the plastic filter provided. Unfortunately the coffee grounds overflow and go into your coffee, rendering much of it useless and wasted. Only way round it that I can see is using a large size paper filter, which I've seen in Tesco. This might work. But definitely a limitation of the machine. I usually just use it to make one or two mugs and it works great for that. One reviewer offered a tip I will try, to avoid coffee grounds in your jug of fresh coffee: ''I have to put 5 scoops of coffee in the filter and less water (enough for 4 cups''. The design flaw is that the filter basket and housing is too small for the capacity of the machine.

I like this machine and if you don't intend to use it for a full jug, then it's great, but otherwise, I suggest you look at other machines. I usually just make 1 or 2 mugs of coffee and therefore don't regularly experience the grounds in my coffee jug problem. But it is annoying when I do want to make a full pot.
on 13 July 2015
I used this machine for two years. Last week I filled the reservoir and the water started to leak out. Personally I expected this machine to last longer. Good whilst it lasted though, but I wouldn't buy another.
PS I've now put it into a Kenwood service workshop to see just what happened and will update this review when they tell me.

Update - I paid for it to be repaired and after several months I've found it's leaking again . . .
on 20 February 2010
I received this coffee maker as a gift at christmas from my sister. She works in a well known kitchen accessory shop & knows what's what in the kitchen world. She bought me this because of its looks & its size (space being tight in my kitchen!). I am so happy she chose this model. It makes hot coffee in about 1 - 2 minutes. Almost as quick as waiting for the kettle to boil. It makes me 2 large mugs or cups, that is just the right amout for me & it stays pretty hot for around 1 hour. I also like to warm my cups on the top of it. I think it looks really cool! It's really easy to clean ae well. I can honestly say I use it every day. I hardly ever use instant coffee anymore.
I would recommend anyone wanting a coffee maker.
on 11 March 2011
It's like a supercharged crack pipe for coffee addicts. I'm buying more coffee now and more expensive brands. I need help.
on 25 April 2010
Bought this on the strength of its other reviews. We drink a lot of coffee and had recently been through two coffee makers with a thermal pot (krups--product now discontinued). Therefore, I was hesitant to buy a glass pot and such a small one. Because coffee begins to burn after 30 minutes (and taste pretty disgusting) we went with the small pot and decided we would just make a fresh pot if we needed to. It has worked out GREAT. Very tidy, brews very fast, makes great coffee and is very basic (which I like; have been through fancy timers, grinders and am glad to be back to a simple system). We do have to remember to turn it off since our other one turned off automatically but no big deal. We have hard water (which is what killed our last two makers) so we use filtered water and descale every two weeks. Love the color too. Not too bright but a bit of color to splash up the kitchen. One slight oddity is that it sometimes drips water from the handle. Not sure why and only requires a sponge to clean it up but keeps it from being perfect. If you only have two coffee drinkers in the morning, it is great. When we have guests, we just make a pot and put it in the flask.
on 25 March 2010
When I was searching for a coffee maker I spent hours sifting through peoples reviews before I chose which machine to buy. So I thought I better do my own review to help others who find themselves in a similar position.

I am delighted with the machine having had it for six weeks. It is very robust and is ideal for small households. It will make 3 mugs full of coffee. The jug measures are spot on. Not only is it very stylish it makes an excellent cup of coffee and I'd highly recommend this machine.
on 7 September 2012
This coffee maker worked like a dream for the first five months but then it started to leak down the handle from the glass coffee container onto my work surface. Now a year later it is leaking from under the machine and the metal has started to corrode on all surfaces that water or steam meets. I can see reading other reviews this is not just a problem with mine.
Such a shame as a good design to look at and ok tasting coffee. Unfortunately year guarantee run out now so have to buy another I guess or write a long letter to Kenwood.
44 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2011
Lovely to look at but leaks every time coffee is made. Water then sizzles and pops on the hotplate and needs to be wiped down.
The coffee is great but it has a bad design fault. I phoned Kenwood customer help and asked if other people had this problem, she said no! I really can not believe this after reading similar problems on Amazon. Would not buy another.
on 6 February 2010
I've updated this review to reflect the design flaws and a fault that has developed.

After a few months the jug develops a problem whereby coffee drips out of the bottom of the handle onto the work surface. This is a complete pain if you have light coloured/stainable worktops as I do. Kenwood replaced my first jug however the second one also developed this problem.

Also, sometimes the machine will only pump through half the water into the coffee compartment and the other half will boil in the water feed area. This leads to a massive amount of condensation and water leaking out of the machine. This issue has started to occur more frequently and even though the machine is only two years old I will have to replace it.
77 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2010
We have tried so many coffee makers as we both love coffee and can't stand instant brands. Most filter machines leave you with a cool or stewed cup of coffee and soon seem to slow down to an almost steady drip and take an age to brew.
The Kenwood is a compact machine with a large well to pour the water into and because it has a 'lip' incorporated in the collar/handle it pours beautifully instead of going everwhere.
The idea of putting your cup on top of the machine, where there is an area specifically for this, means that you start with a warm cup and means that you get a hotter cup of coffee.
It is fast, efficient and easy to use and keep clean, looks solid but modern and delivers the goods. GREAT!