Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.39

Deanna Durbin achieve fame as a child star, but the public lost interest as she grew into adulthood, culminating in her retirement aged just 26. Her music mainly focused on the movies in which she acted, but this British budget collection shows that this allowed her to record plenty of great songs. Deanna originally recorded these songs for such movies as Spring parade, Christmas holiday (though there are no obvious Christmas songs here), Nice girl, Three smart girls and Can't help singing.

The sub-title, 24 greatest hits, is somewhat optimistic. There were no charts in Britain as we know them today, though there were sheet music charts, while the American Billboard charts show a solitary hit for Deanna and that track isn't included here. Furthermore, a look at those Billboard charts shows that only a few of these songs were actually hits for anybody, although some of the non-hits certainly sound as though they ought to have been a hit for somebody.

From the opening song (It's foolish but it's fun) to the closing song (Can't help singing), there is plenty to enjoy. Ave Maria (the Gounod-Bach version) is the most famous of all, and as near as we get to a Christmas song, but other highlights include Always (the Irving Berlin classic), Amapolo, Because, Poor butterfly and Last rose of summer. Other highlights include My hero, When the roses bloom again, Love's old sweet song, Waltzing in the clouds, Beneath the lights of home and It's raining sunbeams.

When I was much younger and my hearing was stronger, I remember that when I first heard Deanna's music, I decided that I couldn't stand her piercing voice and would never buy any of her music. I've obviously changed my mind since then, perhaps because I don't hear the range that I once did, but if you've never heard Deanna sing, it'll be a wise move to make sure that hear a sample before you buy. The liner notes describe her voice as a light soprano, but if you think shrill or piercing is more accurate, you should avoid her music, at least for the time being.

If you enjoy hearing Deanna sing songs from the Hollywood movies of her era, as I do now but didn't always, you'll love this collection.
on 6 March 2012
Deanna sang these songs when she was very young so they do sound rather old-fashioned, but if you are a fan of hers then there is plenty on this C.D of 24 songs for you to enjoy. I was not disappointed because there were a couple of my favourites included - Beneath the Lights of Home, Ave Maria, Can't Help Singing among them. Sung as only Miss Durbin could sing them. At such a low price I would say 'Buy it and sit back to the relaxing voice that you will hear.
on 23 January 2010
Ignore the title of this CD, as many would argue that some of her other recordings should appear here. But as a good sample and to enable a wider audience (which I think she deserves) this is an excellent acquisition. She certainly can reach notes which most of us can only dream of (!), but some of her songs are very comforting and beautiful in a world which often seems (to me anyway) to be getting darker. So it's well worth the buy.

One scary thing. I am a fan of Katherine Jenkins, who provides great entertainment (particularly live) and who does wonderful things for charity and in support of our troops overseas. She is a special entertainer. But when you realise that back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, there were dozens and dozens of singers who were superior singers to Katherine and equally good entertainers, many trained classically, and that above these there were dozens of astonishing operatic sopranos, the size and quality of the pre-TV musical industry in those distant days becomes apparent.

If you buy this CD you will have a glimpse into this long lost world. What an enjoyable excursion!
on 12 November 2013
I got this for my mum for her birthday, she is 82 , and i remember her telling me about Deanna Durbin. She was so happy with it as it brought back many happy memories for her.. The cost was very reasonable and arrived promptly ... Thank you :-)
on 29 April 2014
She is quite impressed and has played parts of the discs frequently, maybe I'll take this selection with us on a forthcoming long drive - that'll keep us cheerful.
on 11 January 2016
I was buying this album for my Mother thinking the track ( none shall sleep) was on it disappointed it was not on
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2014
Absolutely fabulous CD and a sheer joy to listen to. A really good selection of Deanna's lovely songs.
on 6 March 2014
I love Deanna Durbin and have DVDs and now a CD which is wonderful. It is everything I wanted thank you
on 25 July 2015
A present for an elderly relative.....she loves it. Swift service, no issues.
on 7 September 2014
Great All time music cd of Deanna Durbin, l recommend this cd to anyone.