Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 September 2009
Let's keep this simple.

Freed from the constraining ambition and/or manipulation
to conform with current American pseudo-urban trends
Ms Furtado has released a career-defining album.
Truly her best album by a mile.

She is to be congratulated. Releasing a Spanish-language
recording comes with attendant risks - not least of all
alienating her largely English-speaking fan base.

I hope the risk pays off. The album is delightful.
Twelve songs and not one bad one amongst them.

Title track, 'Mi Plan', a lusty duet with Alex Cuba romps
along like a puppy on a mission to sniff the next tree.
(OK sometimes I don't always find the right image !)

'Bajo Otra Luz', a kind of latino-caribbean shuffle, is another
infectious bundle of fun enhanced by wonderfully focussed
percussion and brass. The little rap in the middle is a hoot.
Everyone involved, including writers Julieta Venegas and
La Mala Rodriguez sound as though they're having a lot of fun.

'Fuerte' is another passionate affair full of mercurial
flamenco guitar and fruity supporting vocals from Concha Buika.

'Silencio', finds Ms Furtado singing beautifully, shoulder-to-shoulder
with the warm-toned and technically brilliant Josh Groban.
One of the album's big highlights.

The project as a whole is so much more than Nelly and Guests.
Her cohorts' contributions are seamlessly integrated into the music.
No showing-off. No upstaging.
None moreso than Juan Luis Guerra's lovely vocals on 'Como Lluvia'.

'Feliz Cumpleanos', however finds Ms Furtado alone, centre-stage,
giving her very significant all to the project's finest song.
It is an uplifting and totally convincing performance.

The album delivers an upbeat ending with 'Fantasmas'.
A high-spirited finale indeed !
I hope that this fine release will be welcomed by anyone
with an open heart and mind. I loved every minute of it.

Highly Recommended.
on 1 June 2012
Well, me plan wasn't to be listening to this album on repeat for weeks in the car, but that's what I've been doing (did you like what I did there with me plan?).

Mi no speak Spaniol, but that's not a prerequisite to enjoy this album. Music's about personal taste, and I do kinda like Nelly, so maybe she could have been singing in Latin or Armenian and I would still like it.

By the way, if you're patient enough then there are actually 12 tracks on this album, not 11.
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2011
I purchased this album whilst on holiday in Canada towards the end of June and have listened to it 4-5 times now since I've been back and I find that, although it's her first Spanish album, she does extremely well with the production values and the Latin beat throughout the album. This is my second Nelly Furtado album after I got her 'Folklore' album. I found this album to be slightly better in it's feel and delivery.

I would probably say that my favourite track on this album is 'Silencio', a duet with the brilliant voice talent of Josh Groban. It lingers in the consciousness just long enough after it's finished and leaves an indelible mark I feel. It's soft, tranquil and possibly the gentlest song on the entire album. The other tracks are without doubt very good too in their own right, but 'Silencio' is my Spanish favourite.

Overall, I thought that the album works really well and the arrangements and production values help lift this album above the usual stable kind of stuff similar to this. Nelly Furtado is an exceptional and talented singer who is half Canadian and half Portugese. This Spanish album is an ideal CD to have for fans and others. It's well worth listening to and the foot doesn't stop tapping for a moment. Highly recommended by this reviewer.
on 12 October 2010
I couldn't agree less with Amazon's own reviewer here - this album is amazing. Insipid, calculating... not words I'd use to describe it. Nelly's voice is strong and her Spanish good, though not perfect. Best tracks are "Manos al Aire" (which I'd translate as "Hands Up" or "I surrender" rather than "Hands in the air") a really upbeat track; "Mi plan" has a brilliant Latin beat and great lyrics; "Bajo Otra Luz" is great fun with Julieta Venegas' and La Mala's voices complementing Nelly's well - and it doesn't remind me of Ace of Base at all; Silencio is absolutely gorgeous but my favourite by far is "Como Lluvia" (Like the Rain) with the fabulously melodious voice of Juan Luis Guerra. The lyrics are so beautiful and Guerra's voice a really good match with Nelly's - I just wish he could have sang a bit on his own like the other collaborators did. Overall, a fab album - buy it even if you don't speak Spanish, the music is worth it.
on 19 March 2010
Here is a great album!
The melodies are just brilliant, each of the songs has it's own character. Good fun. It is a spanish language album - each of the songs is in spanish, i know for some this will be a big deal, but to the ear it sounds soothing and energetic in the right proportions.
There are six duets on the album, I love each of them, they've been made so well.
But music is a personal thing; listen to the samples or find it on Spotify and then buy after listening to it. or buy it, throw it in the car and see how you quickly fall in love with it.

on 28 March 2010
Anyone who has liked Nelly Furtado's previous albums will not be disappointed by this one. It is entirely in Spanish but, for me, that does not detract from the music at all. I may be biased as I do have a fondness for the language, even though I speak little of it, but it is distincly Nelly.
on 27 January 2013
This record was bought at a Christmas present and I have not personally heard it; but I understand from my daughter that she thought it good to listen to.
on 23 February 2015
I don't speak Spanish but this album really inspires me, great for driving to work to. Relaxing and combines lots of different styles, reminds me of holidays in Spain when I was young.
on 7 January 2010
this is an extreamly good latin pop album. very upbeat latin pop music.i bought the album after hearing it only once, and was certainly not disappointed.
on 10 April 2012
Sure, you can't understand it if you don't speak spanish. However this album is full of great beats, and great to listen to tracks.