Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 November 2009
It arrived on Thursday. I am on my 15th hearing now. I have the Strokes album but was never knocked over. Everywhere I go I have these songs in my head. "4 chords of the apocalypse" rebreaks my heart...the perfect melismas at the end of phrases (Echoes of John Lennon on Plastic Ono Band).
Such a gorgeous voice, beautiful words and classy songs.
I love it!
on 9 November 2009
First things first this album is superb i cant stop listening to it, julians voice is so much better than i thought it would be. The album has a wonderful retro feel to it setting it apart from anything else out at the moment. I would recommend it to anyone that loves the strokes but listen with an open mind to fully appreciate it superb really catchy tunes.
on 25 December 2009
I absolutely love Julian Casablancas' voice and was eagerly anticipating this solo album. It certainly lives up to expectations - I listen to it again and again. For me it is without doubt the best album released in 2009
on 28 April 2014
Amazing album from the genius that is Julian Casablancas, would definitely recommend to any the strokes fans (and anybody else).
on 21 February 2013
Julian Casablancas has made an excellent album all by him self. I would more than LOVE to buy his next album
on 9 December 2009
Like many, I looked forward to this album, based on the brilliance that are The Strokes. However, I cannot say I'm that impressed by frontman Julian Casablancas' solo effort. Lead single `11th Dimension' sparked a bit of interest, but it seemed like something we'd heard before, only slightly less good. Still, this is one of the better songs on the album. This album has a strange attitude about it, often I'm left thinking that Jools is a forty-something veteran taking a depressing look back on a long career or trying to emulate Johnny Cash. Not what you expected? Me neither.

Most of the songs here are easily forgettable, and when I take the time to listen to the lyrics carefully they seem self-centred and uninspiring. For me the diamond in the rough is certainly `Tourist', with a strong beat and a catchy riff, but it's not hard to stand out on such a dull collection.

Maybe I'm comparing this album too much with his work with The Strokes, but even when I imagine this being a release from a new artist, I can't find much appeal. In fact, despite being generally uninteresting, at least the lyrics give an insight to how Casablancas may look back on his work with The Strokes, and the years following.

In the early 2000's The Strokes set the pace for the decade with spontaneity and originality, but the pace here is slow, as Casablancas seems suffocated of inspiration, leaving an album with a lot to be desired. Lets just hope the long awaited new Strokes album reignites his creativity.
on 5 November 2009
heard 1 track on the radio, thought it was pretty good, ordered the album... had no idea it was the guy from the strokes, although i did think his voice was similar, but the musical style was so different i just thought that was a coincidence. i do love the strokes and also have an album by 'little joy' which is also brilliant...but i wasn't expecting this... and to tell truth, wasn't overly impressed on first listen.
but...just put it on again to give it another chance... then put it on again and again... and it has been on for 3 days now...
funny, quirky music, great lyrics, poptastic tunes and the most fabulous 80s synth thing going on.
definitely my new favourite (although my favourites do change regularly)...can't think of anything else i want to play for the meantime...
and i do love a musician who can sing 'down' lyrics to an 'up' sound... love it!! 16 out of 3 and 3/4.
on 31 October 2009
When you first hear this mini album, obviously the voice is pure Strokes but the guitar rhythm is missing and the timing is very very different. When Julian's voice soars it matches the best work of The Strokes. There is definitely more of a lo-fi pop sensibility to the album. There is also a hint of an 80s synth in a few tracks. Like Julian Plenti earlier in the year, away from the main band, the more experimental tracks don't work as well as the more obvious band style tracks.

But any album that is only 8 tracks points to a slight lack of creativity - especially when the final 4 tracks are not as strong as the first 4. A nice Strokes stop gap but not as strong as Albert Hammond Jnr's solo effort. It just makes you miss The Strokes....