Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 October 2009
As some other people have said already, I cannot believe how anyone who enjoyed Newton's first album could feel let down by this follow up. He is still superb and this is definitely worth listening to. It certainly is not overproduced, there are still clever lyrics and his incredible guitar playing style is enormously evident throughout. What I think some of the reviewers are not fully appreciating is that Newton is a one man band. He manages to make his voice and guitar style sound like there is a band around him and to see him do this live is to be left astounded. I have heard him live a couple of times, first 2 years ago when Handbuilt by Robots was released and 10th October this year at the Mandella hall in Belfast and he is still an incredible musician who comes across as very comfortable in his style. This album, like his first, is a worthy addition to any music collection. I have found that by playing it fairly quietly in the background I get asked to turn it up frequently as more and more people get introduced to and hooked on this truly talented artist.
on 29 November 2013
Biased because we love Newton in this house but this is one of his best CDs. There's not a mediocre track on it. If you like Newton, you should own this CD. If you're not familiar with him, you should buy it and try it but beware, you will be hooked...
on 4 September 2009
Went to see him in Bath in June and he played some of the stuff off of his new album. Me and my friend were singing the new ones all the way back to Bristol. If you like Hand Built by Robots you will not be dissapointed by Rebuilt by Humans, if hearing them live is anything to go by. Personal favourite being 'Been thinking about it'.Rebuilt By Humans
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2009
It would nice to be as enthusiastic about Mr Faulkner's new album
as it was very easy to be about his 2007 debut 'Hand Built By Robots'
but I can't quite reach out and feel that force.

The quality and power of such songs as the wonderful 'I Need Something'
and 'Dream Catch Me' are almost entirely absent from this offering.
(Fresh as a daisy. Huggable. Tender and hugely cherishable).

There are glimpses of former wonders to be sure but sadly
'Rebuilt By Humans' fails to deliver the right stuff.

'I Took It Out On You' is a pretty composition - but only just.

So too 'First Time' - but only by the skin of its teeth.

'So Much' is as good as it gets - which in this instance is very good indeed.
A really lovely song with a warm heart and strong echoes of what this hugely
talented and competent singer/songwriter is capable.

The "interludes" x 5 are disagreeably irritating and entirely disposable.

Final track 'I'm Not Giving Up Yet' is an unfortunate lackluster (live) dirge of a conclusion.

Mr Faulkner has instrumental technique aplenty and a truly engaging voice.
That this album is ultimately disappointing does not however mean that
we will have heard the last or the best of him yet.

I feel a little sad, nonetheless, that I did not find it here.
on 26 September 2009
I got this album today and I think the album is great! I don't see why some people don't think it's up to scratch because it is 'up to scratch'
and no-one can change my mind. I think people just haven't listened to it carefully enough it still is as good as the last if not better but the last one is Brilliant and so is this one. So the people who don't like it or are not sure should just listen to a few on something like We7 and then decide.

5 Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 30 August 2013
All my family loved 'Built By Robots' and this is a great follow up album. There's a slightly different feel to it but, as you might expect, great melodies and lyrics that make you think mean that this is another fantastic piece of work.
on 24 September 2013
I had this on CD when it was first released but somehow lost it. I've just got a new phone so was experimenting with the Amazon app and my walkman app when I found the album, downloaded and so pleased!
on 27 October 2011
Netwon's first album was amazing, innovative and different. There were catchy songs galore and on tracks like Teardrop amazing production.

Unfortunately this album is the opposite of all of that, dull plodding, nothing innovative, as someone else said Damian Rice sprang to mind. This is just some bloke down the pub with average guitar playing ability, it seems that he wrote this album while his wrist was broken, as a result all of his virtuoso guitar playing has gone out of the window, it almost seems like he was trying to protect his wrist.

Sorry Newton this was a poor effort, it wasn't just me who though so either, we attended a live concert before this album was released and when he was playing tracks from this album everyone just sat there in silence, the end of the song was met with muted applause. A couple of seconds into any of the songs from the previous album and people were singing along, tapping their feet and the end of the song was met with rapturous applause.
on 9 October 2009
I'm saddened to say that much like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I'd have been happier with the artist if I'd not come across this release.
Gone is the edgy acoustic sound of Newton, attention grabbing lyrics and foot tapping moments, contrasted with stunning harmonies and vocals. Instead we are presented with an album that sounds like a collection of B-sides that never made it onto Hand Built by Robots. The mind numbing tones drag you from one song into the next with only the occasional break through of light when the pace picks up. Lipstick Jungle is a clash of brass, vocals and harmonica that don't quite pull it off against the context of the Snow Patrol style sounds that carpet the tracks.

It would appear that some of the 5* ratings I've seen only review this album as part of his repertoire, rather then the individual offing that most albums should be seen as. So, with a decent pair of shades on to protect me from his light, I've reviewed this as it should.

Unfortunately this album has all the hallmarks of a contracted second studio release. Newton can do so much better and I only hope this is a blip on a very talented individuals capability.
on 17 June 2013
Present for my daughter who was so pleased to receive it she hasn't stopped playing it! Excellent buy and good price.