Customer reviews

on 1 August 2017
Excellent cd one l hadn't got.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 March 2012
This classic live recording from 1954 features the Dave Brubeck Quartet on a set of swinging tunes. With Brubeck is Paul Desmond on Alto Sax, Bob Bates on Bass and Joe Dodge on drums. The group is not as well known as the classic quartet (apart from Desmond obviously) that would appear a few years later, and if you were being harsh you might criticise the fact that the bass player seems to walk in 4/4 all the time. So perhaps the rhythm section is a less flexible unit in terms of the time it kept. But the later quartet was justly famous for its time, so I would just say this is a swinging recording!

Above that is the playing from Brubeck and Desmond, which is consistently inventive. As with his entire career Brubeck plays with that wonderful mixture of chordal jazz, modern classical, bits of Bach - which is quite unique in Jazz Piano. There is an astonishing sequence on Le Souk which is the best Piano solo on this album in my opinion. Desmond in contrast is I suppose the opitimony of cool jazz. A wonderfully fluid alto player who although a complete contrast to Brubecks playing is somehow magically the perfect fit.

Interesting "Le Souk" was recorded at Oberlin College, which was the venue for another classic early Brubeck album (Jazz at Oberlin) that I highly recommend.

The track listing is:
Balcony Rock
Out of Nowhere
Le Souk
Take the "A" Train
The Song is You
Don't Worry 'bout Me
I Want To Be Happy

Sound quality is pretty good for a 58 year old recording and the CD is 51mins long. Sadly since I wrote this review Dave Brubeck has died. Truly one of the last of the giants has left us.
on 19 February 2013
This may be one of the recordings Brubeck himself taped, as he did in the
early 50's US campus concerts.It's great Brubeck or "Bru" as he told me his
friends call him. Quality as good as you'll get from that period.
Terry
on 20 November 2012
my younger days was highlighted my my enjoyment of modern jazz and whilst I had/have many favourites Dave Brubeck has always been amongst my top groups,listening to these recordings makes me realise how lucky we were back in the sixties ,I look forward to seeing these recordings grow.
Undoubtedly this is a fine album, recorded in concert at the University of Michigan in 1954 (with possibly two of the tracks recorded elsewhere in the same year) but not teleased until 1962 following his rise to fame in the wake of "Time Out". It is typical of his playing of the period that is , I think, better recorded on albums such as "Oberlin" or "College of the Pacific".
The status of this album may depend upon how well you know the other albums from the period or indeed may be a matter of personal choice. If you buy it you will not be disappointed. If this is to be your first Brubeck album from this period, try out some others first.
on 16 April 2015
Back in 1954 and stationed in Germany we had the original Phillips 10 inch L.P. of this recording. It was almost nightly required listening in the billet.
I have always regretted not keeping the album and looked for it on C.D. without success until recently. For me it`s lost none of it`s magic. I especially like Balcony Rock and Le Souk but the whole album is a joy to listen to. Much music has come my way in the intervening years but I`m glad that I`ve discovered The Dave Brubeck Quartet again.
on 3 February 2016
This is a wonderful recording, so full of life. I bought this cd just to play in my workshop. I already have two copies of this recording on vinyl, one of them given to me by the great man himself after I had written to him (as a 14 year old) to say how much I had enjoyed his concert at The Gaumont, Watford in the early 60s! The vinyl version has a different, and much nicer cover and, of course, a much better sound (as does all vinyl)!
on 3 May 2015
I had heard this when I was about 17-18 and thought a lot of it then; in fact I was besotted with it and Brubeck generally. Hearing it again 50 years later it has not had the same effect and is actually quite disappointing. This is not the fault of anybody - it is just time passing and tastes changing I'm afraid. It is, nonetheless, quite enjoyable.
on 21 March 2013
I bought this LP in 1956. Saw every Dave Brubeck concert at the Barbican London. Was lucky enough to attend a charity concert in London where I actually spoke to the great man and where he was kind enough to endorse the sleeve of my LP. Sadly missed.
on 20 September 2013
This was the Brubeck quartet in their prime. Treasured memories of the "Jazz at the Philharmonic" Concerts staged by Norman Grantz in the 60's. One of the great jazz recoding's, a must have for any collection of modern jazz..