Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Colour: Green|Change

on 4 October 2010
this is a great idea but poorly executed.
did they actually test this with parents/children before they released it?!
We love the idea, and we told our daughter all about Momo, so she was waiting for him to arrive - she knew that when his eyes were shut it was night time, when they were open again it would be morning and she could see mum and dad.
So Momo arrives, and he looks good. there is a panel on the back you have to take off to set the times. Fair enough, stops small hands fiddling. However, you also have to take this panel off every night to close Momo's eyes (it doesn't happen automatically). So at night time with a tired grumpy toddler you have to wrestle the back off to shut the eyes and put Momo to bed. OK, so now Momo's asleep. It's dark. It's 5am. Your toddler wakes up - is it time to get up? Let's look at Momo. There is a button to press and a light comes on - but it only lights up the clock face - NOT Momo. Sadly our two year old is not that brainy and can't tell the time yet - if she could we wouldn't need Momo, would we?! So the only way for her to find out if Momo is awake or not (and it's always NOT!) then she has to call mum or dad and we have to put a lamp on to see what Momo is up to. Which kind of defeats the point in my opinion.
So Momo designers - please make it easier to close Momo's eyes (either with a timer or an accessible button) and then put a light on Momo to see if he's asleep/awake when it's dark... and then you'll have a product that works. Until then it's just another bit of plastic we could have done without.
44 Comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2010
This sleep trainer is a cute idea, but it's construction leaves much to be desired. We've had two of these and both have malfunctioned. The first unit never played the alarm sounds. The replacement unit didn't keep time and led to haphazard times when the alarm went off. Having the alarm go off at 5am makes this sleep trainer a bit of a chocolate tea pot. It also consumes batteries with wild abandon - we had to replace them every couple of weeks until we gave up. Avoid.
on 9 October 2010
This is a great little clock - it has both digital and analogue display, which helps with time training - the main reason for buying was to encourage my son to stay in his own room during the night (the monkeys eyes can be closed and an alarm set to open them) - I haven't seen or heard from him before morning since we started using it. You can also turn off the alarm, so that the eyes open, but if the child is still asleep they don't get woken up (great for weekends). My only complaint is that the alarm is too quiet - other than that great purchase and have already recommended to lots of friends
on 10 February 2016
Bought this clock for our 3 year old last summer when she kept waking at 5pm due to lighter mornings. It has worked brilliantly. We chose it because our daughter has always slept in a dark room and we didn't want to introduce a night light.

She grasped the concept of staying in bed until momo opens his eyes straight away and loves the bedtime ritual of closing his eyes every night. We are now woken every morning with a loud shout of "momo's eyes are open". If she wakes before momo we hear her singing or talking to her bears until momo wakes up. She has occasionally tried to start the day before momo but we have been very firm that if momo is still sleeping then she needs to stay in bed quietly until momo wakes up. She loves having her own clock and often fetches it to show us the time if she hears someone ask what time it is.

We have had the occasional glitch where momo hasn't woken up (once after he was dropped and again when his batteries were fading) but after resetting eyes he has worked fine the next day.

Future improvements would be quietening the eye opening movement and having option of lights not coming on in the morning (only lasts about 20 secs) when eyes open. Whilst these have not caused a fundamental problem we have noticed that our daughter is tuned into the clock and rarely sleeps past momos 7am wake up time now the mornings are darker. We get round this by adjusting the alarm time to later when we feel she needs a bit more sleep. (Tip -we have to adjust the clock hands back accordingly so that momo appears to still wake at 7 otherwise we are in trouble as she can now recognise 7 o'clock on the clock). That said it is still a great little clock that has solved our early wake up problem.
on 14 November 2012
It a good product and our son loves it. However opening / closing of the eyes is controlled by the digital display, and if you drop the clock or if it gets knocked slightly (which happens all the time with a four year old), then digital display resets itself which means that it no longer works....

***********************

I've now changed this review as it's completely broken, it not durable enough for small children.
on 3 June 2014
I usually check 1 and 2 star reviews first to see what issues others have had and if I could live with the problems. We were thinking about getting the Gro clock but the 1-star reviews said it has an annoyingly bright night light and I didn't want that. So, we looked and found MoMo. It is slightly more expensive but boy does it do the job.

Our 2-year old used to clamber in our bed between 5.30 and 6 am and we needed that to stop. So MoMo came over to give it a go. On the first morning I was appalled to find my son hoisting himself onto my side of our bed at 5.40. I took him back to his room and explained he was to stay in his bed until MoMo opens his eyes. And since then, voila. He is in bed often at 7 am, even though MoMo wakes up at 6.30.

I can't recommend this product enough. It seems good quality, it's cute and simple, well worth the slight expense in comparison to the other clock.
on 17 October 2016
Great idea. Looks good (better than most sleep training clocks). BUT it is badly designed & doesn't work properly.
Too easy for kids to access controls at back, meaning they change the timers without knowing it.
Can't see if eyes are open or closed when it's dark.
Parts fell off it.
Don't waste your money
on 27 November 2015
Great idea but very, very poorly made. First one just stopped working, eating through batteries at a set a day and not running when needed. Second and third both arrived broken. Do not waste your money and risk heartbroken children (our daughter absolutely loved MoMo and was distraught by the initial one breaking and then the replacements being faulty). The company does not seem to have any customer service in this country so if you ignore my advice then please make sure that you purchase through a trusted seller, as you may very well need to return it.
on 25 October 2011
I have two early risers, my son is 4 and my daughter is 2. They were really excited about Momo, so was i! I read all the reviews before buying it and to be honest i don't understand why people complain about it being difficult to set. I've done it without looking at the instruction once! It is easy to use, and, although my kids are not completely trained yet, they love going to bed with Momo and it became their little buddy!
on 9 September 2011
I agree with the previous review completely - we spent a while describing to our 3-year old that Momo would go to sleep when he does, and he has to stay in bed until Momo opens his eyes in the morning. First morning, we send our son to bed and hit the button to close Momo's eyes. I don't like the fact you have to remove the back panel to do this every night because clearly a 3-year likes to copy these things! Anyway, Momo stays asleep and then our son wakes up at 6am, in the dark, to find that he can't see Momo's eyes at all in the dark. The night light shows the time, but our 3 year old is like most toddlers and can't actually tell the time yet..... So no success. On day 2, alarm set to open Momo's eyes at 6.45am, only to find when our son wakes at 6.30am that his eyes are actually open. So it also doesn't work!!!!!

I think maybe the Gro Clock option is now looking more appealing. Much as our son loves Monkeys, so far it seems pretty useless.