The Resistance

excellent
on 20 October 2016
Excellent
on 19 January 2016
Muse were good once. In 1999 they changed my world and shaped much of my adolescence. Buy Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry instead, Matt Bellamy is a fantastic musician but he was much better when he as writing music on drugs.
on 14 September 2009
There are probably at least two types of Muse fan out there. If you thought Black Holes and Revelations was their best release to date, and genuinely deserved a Mercury Prize nomination, you'll probably enjoy this album quite a lot. If, however, like me, you felt let down by BHaR, thought that it was mostly filler, and suspected that Muse were halfway to becoming a pop group (and didn't like the idea of that), you'll want to give The Resistance a miss. Maybe I'm the only one. Anyway...

1. Uprising: You've almost certainly heard this already. Prominent bassline and sci-fi sounds seemingly straight out of the Doctor Who theme tune. Pretty funky.
2. Resistance: The intro reminds me of `Interlude' from Absolution. Overall, it is really rather bland, despite some interesting twiddles in the final section. `Love is our resistance'. Ahhh.
3. Undisclosed Desires: Ugh. This is a straightforwardly corny pop song that spends a while threatening to do something interesting, but never does.
4. United States of Eurasia / Collateral Damage: The other song you've almost certainly heard already. The piano work is good, but I think Muse's Queen fascination has been taken to unhealthy levels. I don't mind admitting that I don't like Queen.
5. Guiding Light: There's an 80s synth-pop beat going on here. At 1:00 a riff kicks in, then at 2:06 a guitar solo. I'm not sure at what point all doubt is removed; either way, it's a power ballad. Skip.
6. Unnatural Selection: Finally the album gets somewhere near heavy. Pretty cool riffs; a good, threatening middle section with slowish guitar solo and vocal harmonies that actually remind me of System of a Down (maybe I'm going mad). The standout track so far.
7. MK Ultra: Some more good riffs on both synth and guitar, but a bit of a rubbish chorus. There's more to like than to dislike here, just.
8. I Belong To You / Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix: Quite funky in parts, although not in a way that I think would bear much re-listening before it gets annoying. Not sure about the production, but meh. Terrible lyrics: `Then she attacks me like a Leo, / When my heart is split like Rio, / But, I assure you my debts are real'.
9. Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1 (Overture)
10. Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 2 (Cross-Pollination)
11. Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3 (Redemption): The band and orchestra merge perfectly. If this three-part `symphony' were being released on its own, say as an EP or single, I'd give it full marks and recommend everyone go out and buy it; but it's not, and these three tracks can't save the album from being average.

So there you have it. In keeping with the title, a whole load of songs on this record complain about a mysterious `they'. I can understand why a lot of people will like this album, and they're welcome to it, but I'm not among them.
88 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 October 2009
If this was anyone other than Muse it would be an easy 5 stars. It is very good - just not quite up there with previous albums. Some bits are a little commmercial (Uprising begins like The Sweet Shot by The Duckworth Lewis Method!) and there was one bit where my headphones came out but i could hum the next bit without having heard it before - a little fomulaic. The lyrics are moving and thoughtful.

I'm not sorry that I brought it but it isn't quite at the previous standard. They've dug their own hole by being so good! Try the other albums first if you're new to Muse.
on 8 June 2015
Amazing
on 9 October 2009
Sometimes an established band will get a producer in who strips their sound right back to basics for a new record. This album by Muse is the opposite of that. Instead they've been given a 40 piece orchestra to mess around with, which is not always a good idea when it comes to rock bands. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album, pretty good in fact, but it's disappointing when you imagine what they should be capable of by now. Muse are always picking up 'Best Live Act' awards, they just need to transfer that undoubted ability onto a recording. Still waiting.