Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 24 March 2010
I have watched the first 4 episodes so far and this dvd has some edge of the seat nail biting moments in it. The way its filmed and the gritty realistic style reminds you of danny boyles 28 days later.
The contestants fear rises as they realise everywhere but the big brother house is overun with zombies. And they have been left deserted as the rest abandoned them in the evacuation. not one for the faint of heart .
on 5 November 2009
I wasn't really convinced when I watched the trailers for this zombie horror mini series. Big Brother and Davina McCall put me off. However, I decided to give it a go. I am glad I gave it a chance. It is by far the best zombie horror I have seen in recent years - gorier than Dawn Of the Dead, creepier than 28 Weeks Later, and more intelligent than both too. The plot is ingenious as well. Contestants and fans of Big Brother are unaware that the rest of the population have become a plague of flesh eating zombies. The horror inevitably reaches the Big Brother set. What follows is a battle to stay alive. This really is nerve shredding stuff. The zombies can outrun most humans, and have an unrelenting and frenetic lust for human flesh. There are plenty of dark corners on the Big Brother set to lurk and hide as well. Most of the Big Brother contestants are true to life as well - unlikeable, self centred oafs! Their egocentricity has the effect of putting them at greater risk. This is an incredibly tense and gory action picture. If you like this genre, this really is as good as it gets.
on 3 November 2008
This is a top notch zombie horror movie/series that is at times funny, but mostly scary with a healthy dash of satire.

Great ballsy performance from Jaime Winstone and there's something creepy about it being set somewhere as familiar as the BB house. Plus you get zombie Davina. Quality!
on 27 July 2014
I want more!
on 1 March 2010
I didnt get chance to see this film when it was on TV on halloween and recently watched it. This film is an amazing zombie film & very original bringing BB in2 the whole zombie feature! good acting & effects & storyline was fantastic! if your a Zombie buff who likes the greats this is a must see film!
on 11 July 2015
Well made .
on 2 November 2008
I watched the feature length version and I have to say I was gripped by the scares, the gore, the violence, the language not to mention the concept which was the reason for me wanting to see this as frankly I get a bit bored with Zombie films, they're a bit of a one trick pony, having only one real message and overdone set pieces and scenarios. But I thought this was worth watching as I liked the idea that the last bastion for humanity would be the Big Brother house, a magnet for the ridiculous in our society; and Broker shows them all here, if a bit stereotypically...we've got an idiot, a slut, a politically incorrect Jade Goody type and a brawn over brains fellow all of who want to make it. Then there are the others who are attracted to the show to `change things from the inside'; the hippy `TV is wrong and our media frenzy consumer public is out of control' older man, and then two others with more sense that play the race and sexuality card. Broker has it all here and he exploits these characters with relish, he really doesn't hold back.

The first hour is very well made; the set up is finely crafted, with good pacing, nice character set ups, the whole Big Brother frenzy is well done, Davina is great and the tension is gripping. The whole thing is very loose on explanation, though as Broker goes down the route of horror instead of sci-fi that doesn't matter much. Unfortunately after the first hour the pacing does get a bit floppy, little happens and the plot developments become rather laboured and predictable, though the ending sequence picks things up again and the horrible but entertaining producer Patrick becomes the star of the show.

Although I enjoyed the concept, the message was less than compelling, this was done as others have said in `Dawn of the Dead' very well, Broker doesn't really develop the point, in fact the very last shot directly makes the link between reality TV and shopping centres with a nation that is turning into `zombies', although this wasn't new it was pretty good and I felt like this was the shot Broker wanted to make the series to do.

Though watching this I wasn't completely brought into the world created, I got snapped out of it a few times, firstly because although the acting was good, I don't fault any - Jaime Winstone in particular sold her performance - but they were sometimes a bit too over the top. But most importantly the zombies behaviour was unconvincing for a number of reasons - I tend to pick at zombie films and this was no different - firstly the hand slapping routine they perform was pretty rubbish also if they are killing for the simple compulsion to feed then they would eat the flesh available not spend hours trying to slap a door down when there is meat right by their feet. Other reviewers have said this is a rip off of 28 days later because of the running zombies and messed up eyes, personally the use of this in this and the re-make of `Dawn of the Dead' really irritates me because these are corpses, they desire flesh from the living to fulfil the need to have life inside them and as they are dead should like with traditional shuffling zombies be subjugated to rigor mortis and decomposition. Boyle got away with this because his aren't actually zombies, they are living humans infected with rage and therefore don't want to eat flesh but tear it to pieces. Yes lightning fast zombies are scarier but only if they've been thought through, Brokers look more like living monsters with all the snorting and huffing and puffing and although the make-up is very good, I wasn't sold.

All in all this is definitely worth watching, I'm too picky for my own good but I still thought this was pretty scary and a good piece of horror TV even if Broker pinches most things and satires the rest, the former being boorish and the latter occasionally funny. Yes there are many clichés but I think this is meant to be highly generic and who cares as long as they are employed to good effect (cliché doesn't need to be a dirty word) with some nice little touches also this definitely makes the most out of the Big Brother concept. Anyway I enjoyed it and recommend.
on 1 November 2008
I have waited so long for something like this... A definite for horror fans like me who have wanted a horror series. So brilliant. So funny. So gory. So scary. So entertaining. Just all round entertainment. The ending of the last episode is not what I entirely saw coming. But still, great zombie horror here.
on 22 July 2009
We really enjoyed this series. Whats not to like about the Big Brother cast getting eaten!! To say this was made for TV it is a lot better than a lot of the incredibly naff and cheesy zombie movies out there. If you love zombies and hate Big Brother give it a go.
on 11 August 2014