Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2009
The title of the brilliant American Idol runner-up Katharine McPhee's new album is 'Unbroken' not 'Long Way from Home'. I don't know why it's still listed as the latter since the album cover is uploaded and clearly states the official title. Anyway, this is a brilliant album. It does contain mainly ballads, of a pop-rock/alternative/folk feel, with lyrics written by the likes of Lucie Silvas and her even singing backing vocals on the opening track as well as a couple of others, to name one of the great singers contributing to this project. There's just one featured guest on the CD, Jason Reeves on the haunting 'Terrified' which I think is definite single material. I won't give a track by track review, since I honestly once again love them all, but the first and second singles 'Had It All' & 'Say Goodbye' definitely hooked me in and made me interested in this album. I loved her first album which wasn't released fully in the UK, which was more Pop/Urban R&B, and although I was hesitant at first to hear this latest, I'm really happy with the direction she's gone in and I love how she's matured and grown as an artist, her vocals are truly lovely and the production is really good. I'd definitely recommmend this album to anybody who likes Lucie Silvas, Colbie Caillat etc. It has an authentic feel and is not McPhee attempting to gain mass mainstream appeal, which in some ways I'm sad about since her sales might not be as good as I'd hope, but there's still hope for some good promotion, and it's definitely better than any pop effort could've been.
on 15 August 2012
I purchased Katharine Mcphee's Unbroken because her vocal talents on Smash had totally blown me away. I was not prepared for the rich tones and strength of her voice and the artistic range and scope she shows.

Unbroken is a totally different type of music to what you have heard from either American Idol or Smash, so don't expect more of the same, but do expect something a little more personal and enchanting. I have to admit I was pining for a version of 'Over the Rainbow', which hasn't appeared on this side of the pond yet, but the soul filled songs don't disappoint and make for lovely chill-out listening, encompassing a folky, alternative rock style.

I am completely converted as a McPhee fan and will be on the look out for more original smashes of her own making.
on 25 September 2012
I am totally enthralled with Katharine McPhee's voice. I admit I only discovered her on the TV hit SMASH which I can't wait to come back with Season 2. Anyway I went searching on iTunes for music by Katharine and found that this album but it was not available for download in the UK, only the US but after listening to the tiny snippet that iTunes allows you to listen too I just had to go looking for somewhere I could buy the CD in the UK and I don't know if it is still the case but at the time it was Amazon which offered it for sale in the UK.

It's a beautiful album and if you are a fan of Katharine's either from her American Idol days or like me discovered her through SMASH you will not be disappointed with this album. All of the tracks are beautiful and most are very relaxing and I actually enjoy listening to it after having acupuncture which allows me to drift away and get the most out of my treatment. I would like to point out here that I'm not really that much of a music fan, I much prefer films and TV, so for me to want to buy an album let alone go out of my way to find it for sale is a real rarity. Sometime a years will go by when I wouldn't purchase any music at all not even on iTunes, so an artist or album has to be good to draw me into the world of music and spending my money on it rather than buying a great DVD.

For fans of Katharine I want to tell you of another album that Amazon sell of hers and it is her Christmas Album called 'Katharine McPhee Christmas is the time'. I first discovered this when I was searching for Katharine's music on iTunes after I had seen her on SMASH. It was then that I also discovered the album 'Unbroken' but it was only available for download in the US. however they had this Christmas album available for download on iTunes in the UK so I downloaded. I was so mesmerised by the beauty of her voice and the particular songs on this album that I just had to purchase the hard copy CD too, so that I can listen to it in the living room on the main surround sound system. I am so looking forward to hanging the christmas decorations whilst Katharine sings beautifully in the background. It's should show you how much I love the album because I have paid for it twice, once on iTunes and again for the hard copy. Had I known how beautiful it was going to be I would have just purchased the CD and copied it onto my iPad but I really don't mind, it's worth every penny. I'm not usually one for buying christmas albums as over the years we have acquired quite a few so are never short of Christmas tunes should we need them. Also most albums are just copies of the same old songs or are just compilation albums with songs sung by the same artists that you already have on other albums. However there are at least four really lovely christmas songs that I have never heard before on this album and she sings the usual ones in such a beautiful individual style that you cant help but to be enthralled with an old song all over again. It's possible that what I think are new songs may be known to others, but I thought I knew all Christmas songs. All the songs, particularly these new ones really are lovely and one bought me to tears, I will leave you to decide which but if you are a parent I don't think you will find it difficult to pick it out.

I played snippets of each song of both these albums to a Carer of mine and now she can't wait to get a copy of both especially the Christmas one, so have directed her to Amazon. I don't know if this is still the case but when I was trying to purchase these CD's Amazon UK was the only place you could buy them in the UK. So many thanks Amazon and keep up the good work bringing us CD's that aren't available elsewhere in the UK.
on 17 February 2013
Katharine McPhee is excellent in SMASH and the songs she delivers in the show are superb. I was expecting to hear similar quality tunes on this album but am disappointed. They're bland and I can't remember them. It's a shame, as her voice is wonderful. The songs don't do her justice. I've played it half a dozen times to see if I can get to like it but it's now stuck in a drawer.
on 29 April 2013
This was a good buy. The songs are really chilled out. I bought it as I am a fan of Smash. Like some of the other reviews have said, it doesn't sound the same. That is not a bad thing. Really enjoying it as it is easy to listen too. It arrived on time and was worth the price.
on 11 November 2010
what a album this is its fantastic . it has chill out feel to it and her vocals are brill .if u like lucie silvas you will love this 10 out of 10
on 30 October 2011
just brilliant music my title says it all it is that good ,i play this cd at least once a week and never get tired of hearing it
on 5 June 2015
I love the songs on this album especially Unbroken
on 16 August 2014